PDA

View Full Version : Cut Path / Bit Offset

hetzerguitars
08-17-2008, 10:34 PM
I draw a 4" circle as a cut path. Tell it to carve region. And it's 3 7/8". I even told it to use the 1/8" bit. I realize that it's not offsetting according to bit size. I am having that problem a lot. Any ideas?

- Jim

Jeff_Birt
08-17-2008, 10:38 PM
I draw a 4" circle as a cut path. Tell it to carve region. And it's 3 7/8".

Huh? If you want to cut out a 4" circle you do not assign a carve region or even a bit to the path. Just click on the 'Cut Path' icon (looks like a saw in wood), then click on the 'Flip Cut' button to tell Designer to cut to the outside of the line. That's all there is to it.

hetzerguitars
08-17-2008, 11:21 PM
Actually, I don't want it cut out. I need it cut into a board. Like a pocket. I make guitars. And I am STILL working on pickup pockets.

Also, all my wood is 1 3/4". The machine can't that deep.

- Jim

AskBud
08-17-2008, 11:35 PM
Go to my download links, below, and see if the tutorial on "Using the Hole Tool" helps.
AskBud

Jeff_Birt
08-17-2008, 11:41 PM
Then you are not doing a 'Cut-Path'. If you turn off the feather your pocket will come out closer to size. With a large area like that it would be quicker to just create your own pocket with the 3/8" bit. Just create concentric circles allowing for a bit of overlap.

Jeff_Birt
08-21-2008, 08:50 AM
I had another thought on this subject last night. I was doing a test cutting small shallow pockets trying to see if I could carve them or if I needed to 'vectorize' them. The pockets were 0.75" x 0.375" x 0.063".

I did three different styles. One used concentric rectangles, starting with 0.75"x0.375" and inset the path by the diameter of the bit. This came out just slightly oversize, on the order of 0.025" in both X and Y.

The second test was a applying a carve region to the same sized 0.075"x0.0375 rectangle. Due to the taper of the but this came out close to 0.080" large in both X and Y.

For the third test I made the test rectangle smaller by 0.050" ( I guess on my part as all three test were on the same board.) it came out nearly identical to the first test.

I also have been working on a design that cuts 1/4" slots using the 1/8" bit. I was doing this by drawing a rectangle the same size and insetting the cut. Due to the software's internal resolution of 1/128", the slots were slightly large and a sliver was left in the center. I played with the inset a little until I got the proper size slot.

bjbethke
08-21-2008, 09:44 AM
("I draw a 4" circle as a cut path. Tell it to carve region. And it's 3 7/8". I even told it to use the 1/8" bit. I realize that it's not offsetting according to bit size. I am having that problem a lot. Any ideas? "

- Jim)

When you use the line and circle tools and add a bit, it will center the bit on the line. You need to add the width of the bit you use to get the 4 inch cut out plug, if you want a 4 inch hole you need to subtract the bit width. See MPC.

(Use the snap to grid function on the MPC)

HighTechOkie
08-22-2008, 10:24 AM
Something else is going on here. If Jim simply drew a 4" circle, set carve region then carve, the actual carving should be LARGER than 4" (as per Jeff's examples).

Rob

Jeff_Birt
08-22-2008, 10:31 AM
I think Jim was just calling it a carve region, when in fact he was pocketing by drawing vector paths. Just a difference in nomenclature that threw me off too. The issue was with bit offset I think.

liquidguitars
08-22-2008, 08:36 PM
See a tele pickgard movie in the cutting..

Shows how simple it is to run after your finished in Desinger :o

pickgard offset paths. 7 meg download (http://www.liquidguitars.com/Saltdot/TeleMasgas.MOV)

pickgard od holes. 9 meg download (http://www.liquidguitars.com/Saltdot/TeleDO.MOV)

LG