PDA

View Full Version : mailbox sign

pscychnurse
08-15-2008, 07:47 AM
is salt trated too "gummy" and hard for the machine?

ChrisAlb
08-15-2008, 11:14 AM
I've carved in treated before and it's not that it's "too hard" on the machine but it's normally so wet that the carves require a fair amount of work to clean up. Very stringy leftovers. I'd recommend using either cedar or redwood instead.

Of course 3 or more coats with a good marine spar varnish and you can use just about any wood for outside.

pscychnurse
08-15-2008, 11:53 AM
thanks chris

LittleRedWoodshop
08-17-2008, 12:46 PM
if the finished piece can be white you can use vinyl PVC. It can be found at your local home store and comes in 1x8 or 1x12 in 8 and 12 foot lengths.

mtylerfl
08-17-2008, 02:05 PM
if the finished piece can be white you can use vinyl PVC. It can be found at your local home store and comes in 1x8 or 1x12 in 8 and 12 foot lengths.

Hi Jason,

Does the PVC carve alright, without a "glob" forming/melting around the bit?

I'm not knowledgable about carving PVC material and was curious if you have carved some yourself, what you have observed, and if there are any particular precautions to watch for that you can share with us.

ChrisAlb
08-17-2008, 04:02 PM
I've never tried PVC on the CW but worked with it a LOT in construction. Mainly for making large arched or circular trim for windows because you can get it in 4 x 8 and 4 x 9 foot sheets so you can make pretty big "one piece" trims.

What I've found is it cuts nice with a circular saw, routes nice with a router and bits for both cutting the arches (circle jig and 3/8 or larger straight bit) and shaping the edges with any bearing shaped bit. But try cutting it with a jig saw and it welds together behind the blade.

Based on that I think the only issue might be with the 1/8" cut bit if cutting something out.

I'd like to know your experience as well Jason.