PDA

View Full Version : What is reasonable for a CC machine?

cdg
08-14-2008, 06:48 PM
OK I don't consider myself to be one of those disgruntled people with nothing positive to say about the CompuCarve machine. It makes it possible to do things in a home shop that are otherwise not possible and certainly not as speedy as the machine can do them.

So far I've been impressed with LHR support with the exception of one individual. They take care of my problems when they pop up but I'm getting near the end of my rope with the problems the machine experiences.

With 12 carving hours the machine needed a cut motor and a quick change adapter.

By 20 hours the machine needed to be sent back for major service that was allegedly related to the fact that this machine is part of several thousand faulty units. They were not clear as to why a recall notice was not issued but I'm not a corporate lawyer and really don't mind that much - the company was upfront about the problem and insisted on fixing it for free.

The machine has 36 hours on it and now needs an RPM sensor and possibly another cut motor and maybe an A/C switch.

My question is whether or not this is typical for a CarveWright/CompuCarve machine. It seems like failures of this magnitude should be happening every few hundred hours, not every 10 or 12 hours.

I spent a good deal of time working with a Morbidelli 336 in a production cabinet shop so I understand that CNC technology is finicky and breaks relatively frequently - unlike a table saw that can go for thousands of hours with little maintenance a CNC router must be constantly maintained and even with good maintenance procedure will still break down far more often than the other shop tools.

My next question is dependent on the first question earlier and that is whether or not this particular machine may be the source of my problems. I'm asking for subjective opinions of course not concrete answers.

I was disappointed in the condition in which my machine came back to me from the shop. While they performed repairs beyond my expectations as well as 2 hours worth of testing I found the Z truck to be nicked up and the silver paint, once perfect is now peeling since I got the machine back. The unit came back much too dusty to actually work, and I think the forward drive belt that was replaced at my expense even though the machine was under warrenty is still tracked too far to the left. One of the Z controller ribbons pulled out from its socket accidentally causing a Z axis stall code. I believe that the ribbon cable that pulled loose did so because it was not routed correctly or with the degree of care I would expect from a tech who would work on such a machine.

So my emotions are mixed. I really like the little machine, and I understand that it may break relatively frequently but I'd like to get a handle on other experiences to see if this is normal for the CarveWright system. I know many of you folks here rack up hundreds of hours. How many failures per hundred hours is typical for you?

What I ultimately want to try to get at is that I feel that there is a possibility that this particular model may be afflicted with problems. I believe it falls into the "second generation" category of machines rather than the third.

If this particular model is indeed affected than perhaps in the interest of keeping both parties happy and ultimately managing things more economically a trade in might be arranged for my present machine. Even if it cost me a little I want to get a handle on whether or not it might be worthwhile to trade in.

So please folks, don't think I'm getting the machine down although at the moment it isn't my favorite tool in the shop. I just want to try to see what might work out best for me and my hopes for the machine (as a prototype builder). :) I am a little mad about the service given to the machine but years in the field of auto mechanics have taught me that nobody really does good work as a tech anymore.

ChrisAlb
08-14-2008, 08:06 PM
Hi cdg and welcome,

I'm very sorry to hear about the troubles you're having. While there are some who seem to experience various problems along the lines you mention, I would have to say that it's not "typical" at all. I think there are perhaps some lemons out there and from what I've read in the forum over the last year, LHR makes every effort to address them. Your testimonial seems to back that up as well.

For me, my CW's 1 year birthday is in 3 days. I've had little to no trouble at all and now at almost 400 cut hours, it's running strong and reliable still. I did recently change my cut motor but not because the old one went bad. It still works fine. I did it as part of a testing sequence for the newest firmware release. I have to say that I'm honestly impressed with this machine both in ability and endurance.

Because I haven't had any problems, all I can say about LHR support is based on what I've read and the experiences of others. I know enough from that to say I'm confident that should I have problems, I'll have a manufacturer in my corner.

Hope that helps

Chris

randydg20
08-14-2008, 08:30 PM
I feel like I am in the dark on my machine too. I thought I was doing everything right. I was keeping it clean, I check the flex shaft for heat but only after 27 hours it started to get a z axis stall. I had to return it for repairs and they said I burnt the flex shaft up. I don't know how. I take care of all my equipment the best I know how, Usually by reading the manual. In this case the manual said to check for heat in the shaft and at no time did it feel hot to me. I checked it after every carving which was about every two hours. When I called the tech support they said I can not us it for commerical use, but only 27 hours! looks like a 200 hour warranty is for the first 200 hours, don't matter what you are doing. I asked if they would send the old shaft back so I could inspect it for damage. They where a little surprised that I wanted to see it. They where not sure they could do that. I think I would make it a policy to send back any damaged part so the customer would understand the reason for the charge. I sort of feel like I am being gouged. The reason I feel like this is because they called me and said they could not ship back the machine until I paid for the new flex shaft. what choice did I have?

badger
08-14-2008, 08:50 PM
Ive had mine for just a couple weeks over a year now and purchased it from Sears. Only had to send it back once straight out of the box for a sensor board problem, got it back in a week and have had it every since. Only items Ive replaced on it so far have been bits.

Im sure I will need to replace the obvious here pretty soon being the cutting motor and zpack.

I know there have been horror stories and great successess. All I can say is treat it with care, if your not happy with the way it was returned call the shipper, call LHR explain the way it was returned.

I recently had to call to correct some software issues. Talked to Lisa (Great customer service) and she helped me with part of it and then had someone call me back the next day and he helped me with the rest.

You will see some really angry people because their machines are down and they have orders waiting. Well everyone here is taking the same risk because LHR specifically says that this is a hobby machine but yet alot of folks are turning it into a business machine and you take your chances then.

If you know it will help you out then all I can say is stick with it. They guys and gals on this forum litterally bend over backwards sometimes with videos, images and step by step directions on how to fix something so you also have an unofficial Tech Support around the clock with these guys too.

cdg
08-14-2008, 09:29 PM
I'm not really angry about this issue. I'm mostly hurt by the lack of care the machine appears to have been handled with although that's not really what I'm crying about. I mean everybody has a story about the mechanic that leaves grease smudges inside their car. I don't work like that because I was always taught that it's wrong but I will spare you all my moral lecture and get off the soapbox.

The heart of the issue here is that I wanted to see how much trouble this machine typically would cause. As I said I have no delusions as to the fact that the machine will break down on occasion. It's a fact of having a CNC machine.

I too try to care for my machinery to the utmost of my abilities. My shop tools are all in immaculate condition, my bits always clean of pitch and sap, chisels sharp and oiled (except the one in my framing tool belt that is clean but somewhat beat up but that's different). Hell my floors are dust and stain free not to mention the carving machine...

liquidguitars
08-15-2008, 12:07 PM
I believe that the ribbon cable that pulled loose did so because it was not routed correctly or with the degree of care I would expect from a tech who would work on such a machine.

The time it took you to post I would of had it fixed :)
but my shop floor is a mess..

LG

Digitalwoodshop
08-15-2008, 08:45 PM
Since I have first hand knowledge of my flex shaft burning up within 5 min of starting to carve due to my not handling it properly. It was in the hot sun for 4 hours and I flipped it up after a repair and stuffed it back in gingerly. I believe I kinked the spring inside the rubber sleeve and the metal to metal of the flex shaft caused it to burn up in a short time.

So with that in mind, I think some of the burnt flex shafts could be contributed to mis-handling of the flex shaft. A perfectly fine flex shaft stuffed into a Shipping box and getting kinked then during the LHR Testing it burns up.... If the shaft did not show any melting prior to testing and burns up during the test.... Interesting delema..... At least you didn't have to pay the $15.00 for shipping of the Flex.....

My new Z Pack failed after 6 hours but because I had it in my parts box more than 30 days I was out of luck.... No Return or refund. LHR is playing hard ball with every penny. A Good thing and a bad thing.... They must draw the line somewhere. I have been given the Good Side of the stick more times than I can count in the past..... Having one thing like the bad Z Pack go wrong is no reason for me to feel bad. Overall it has been a very positive experiance.... I have paid almost $1000.00 in parts and bits in 2 years. I have 3 machines 1 new and 2 used.

AL

TerryT
08-15-2008, 09:04 PM
I have paid almost $1000.00 in parts and bits in 2 years. I have 3 machines 1 new and 2 used.

AL

I'm at about that myself only I have only had my machine for a year. BUT all the parts I purchased are mostly still on the shelf....Just in case.

When 3 bits broke after going to version 1.130, one of the new bits broke and the broken end fell down into the space between belts and cut a slot in my traction belt 1/8th wide by about 3" long before I could stop the machine. I ordered a new set of belts but the old ones are still working fine (pushing 400 hours). I have the new ones if things get bad. I have a new QC, just in case I'm in the middle of something and need one. A new cut motor and a bunch of other "Just in case" stuff.
It pays to be prepared. Especially when you finally get that big order, you don't want to break down in the middle of it.

BTW, LHR, were are my 3 new cutting bits?? I still think you owe me!! You should have tested with cherry and walnut, not just wimpy pine.