PDA

View Full Version : Chris & Al Camp Projects

ChrisAlb
08-14-2008, 04:22 PM
Well it was a long & tiring road to these shots...lol

15 projects, 180 hours of pretty much non stop work in just a hair under two weeks but all in all, a big hit with the owner and kids of the 3 camps near us.

How it all started:
Al was doing a one day show on Sunday in a town near us to which he graciously invited me to join him. An elderly gentleman and his wife were browsing Al's great display of clocks. He picks one up, turns to us and says, "you know, I might be interested in something like this". We chatted for a while and afterward they left without buying anything. We thought, hey that's cool, he might want a clock ...LOL.... Little did we know.....

That night Al called me and asked if I'd attend a meeting the following morning with him and this gentleman. I accepted and the rest is a blurry history....lol

The results of that and a few more meetings. This will take 3 posts as we're only allowed 5 pictures per post. I should note that these are designed as per the customers personal requests.

The awards:
The first 3 pictures are award plaques for 3 camp employees that have been there 40 years this summer. The large ovals, 22.5" x 11" will hang in the main lobby. The smaller ones, 16" x 9" were given to the employees to take home. Each depicts what the employee did. A basketball coach, a riding instructor and a swimming instructor

4th picture is a 6 foot x 5.5" Header Sign for their Events Bulletin board.
5th is a 16" x 5.5" Name sign for one of the cabins.

Continued next post.......http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon6.gif

ChrisAlb
08-14-2008, 04:28 PM
First, second and third pictures are the wall header signs to hang over the awards given to the various groups within the Lake Owego camp. All are 18" x 7". (Sorry, I was so tired I forgot to get good single shots of the first 3...lol)

4th & 5th are large 14.5" x 14.5" carvings of the camp logos.

Continued next post.......lol

Deolman
08-14-2008, 04:29 PM
Lookin' Great. Sometimes you just don't know what might be in the background. Kudos to the both of you. (I hope you carved some info on the back of each one.)

ChrisAlb
08-14-2008, 04:30 PM
The last of the three large logos.....whew!!....http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif

castingman
08-14-2008, 04:33 PM
Chris,

You guys did a great job !!! I'm sure the campers will enjoy them for a long time.I just got done about 5 min ago with 10 plaques for the lodge, not as big as your project but a big one for me . Great job!!!.

MikeMcCoy
08-14-2008, 04:34 PM
You have to be ready for a little rest but you have already shown that you're a masochist so all I'll say is GOOD JOB!!! :)

Ken Massingale
08-14-2008, 04:37 PM
Fantastic work, Chris and Al.

ChrisAlb
08-14-2008, 04:45 PM
Thanks folks!!

I sent the link to Al so I'm sure he'll chime in as well. Yes...lol....rest....http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif

Router-Jim
08-14-2008, 04:55 PM
Very nice batch of carvings.

Congrats to both of you. :cool:

TerryT
08-14-2008, 05:39 PM
Chris and Al,
Great work! The camp was lucky to get two artists to create their project.

Kenm810
08-14-2008, 05:45 PM
Bravo on a Job well Done,and Great Team Work too
Here's Hoping for many more Projects,
for your Little Carving Machines that Could.

twinpeaksenterprises, LLC
08-14-2008, 06:10 PM
Nice, Nice, Nice, Top of the line work there. Very impressive! I hope to get to that level one day.. Slow and steady... Maybe one day when i get there it will be Chris, Al, and Matt.haha!. Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing. Matt.

SandBuoy
08-14-2008, 07:15 PM
Great job you two. They were very lucky to get you two on that job.

Digitalwoodshop
08-14-2008, 07:28 PM
Yes, this was an exciting adventure that is just beginning. Thanks Chris for posting the Great Pictures and Story. And thank you everyone for the great comments.

Now the behind the scenes real story is that we both started this event but when I got the week long project making the County Fair Fire Trophies and Plaques my participation went to zero and Chris did 98% of the work.... Chris even took time to help me deliver the Fire Stuff at the Fair. Another behind the scene learning moment was when after painting 3 oval plaques that I had cut in my shop and Chris had designed and finished, that Chris discovered the FONT was wrong.... In sending me the files I did not know the Font Name and Designer substituted the font that I did not have and I went on Blindly cutting the Wrong Fonts.... We have since learned to document the font when transferring files. So Chris had to cut them over again and finish them by himself. I am really getting credit for something that I had about 2% participation in.... Credit needs to go where credit is due and that is to CHRIS. His detail painting skill is at a much higher level than my basic skill. The fantastic result would not have been possible without Chris. His 30 plus years of woodworking and people skills made this happen without a hitch. Not to mention his artwork skills that without this would have been a much different project.

We will continue on this joint venture and I will make more of an effort to be a better partner. We both had our hands full that week as we were swapping 2 AM emails while I was cutting plaques and Trophies and Chris was cutting and finishing Signs well into the night. It was a long 2 weeks for both of us....

I appreciate Chris giving me credit for part of this chapter in our adventure, but I was more a Silent Partner. That will change.

Thanks Buddy !!!!

AL

ChrisAlb
08-14-2008, 07:42 PM
I love Paul Harvey...but...he can't keep a secret either...LOL

Without your show buddy, there would have been no job. And now you know...the rest of the story...lol

Digitalwoodshop
08-14-2008, 07:54 PM
Yes... That is true. And you were standing right next to me at the show when they walked up. Perfect timing.

I knew who he was as my Brother worked for him for 8 years at the camp. I think it surprised him slightly when I knew his name. My brother Bob, was called "Bob Vila" at the camp for his wood working skills.....

Then the excited phone call on my answering machine that day wanting a meeting to discuss signs and plaques...... I quick called Chris and the rest is history....

Back to work.... If I can get my swelled head out of the door frame.... A Quilt Rack for a Fire Dept 50th Celebration is calling me.... It goes with a Quilt they are raffling Saturday.

AL

Kenm810
08-14-2008, 08:26 PM
Hey Guys,
I'll say again Great Job,
You both probably already know, but a few folks out there may not.
You can use most any publisher software to group your photos together and be able to post many more pictures of your projects than just 5.
I used the one set of 5 that Chris posted earlier as an example, this way You could add an additional 4 more groups if necessary.
Open and load the photos you want to a publisher page, then save the page as a .jpg photo and upload it with the Manage Attachments option.
I would recommend 2 or 3 photos in a group to save the picture sharpness and quality, but did 5 just for this example.

ChrisAlb
08-14-2008, 08:37 PM
That's a great tip Ken....http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif.... Thanks!

I wanted them to be big and clear. After having to use a lighted table mounted magnifying glass to paint all those little logos, I didn't want to have to squint at "small" anymore......:rolleyes:...LOL

Kenm810
08-14-2008, 08:44 PM
I guess I just like to see all the photos of everyone's projects,
thought it might be a good way to get around the limitation of 5 files,
and add room for a few more photos posted on the forum. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif

LollyWood
08-14-2008, 09:03 PM
......WOW..... Just one or two of those would have been work enough...Holy Cats men....now that your finished, Take a bow. Just getting that project done with in the limit is some thing, but the hand paint and finish work.

OUT STANDING!!!

(hey Chris, now I see where ya been... damn man.. NICE)

Digitalwoodshop
08-14-2008, 09:30 PM
Yes, Chris has been very very very busy..... Great work !!!!

AL

mtylerfl
08-14-2008, 09:36 PM
Very nice job! That does look like it would give you a permanent squint with all that detailed painting - whew!

I think it's wonderful for you guys to be able to collaborate and help each other. You're an example of yet another benefit of owning a CarveWright/CompuCarve machine - great friendships and partnerships happen!

ChrisAlb
08-14-2008, 09:38 PM
Very nice job! That does look like it would give you a permanent squint with all that detailed painting - whew!

I think it's wonderful for you guys to be able to collaborate and help each other. You're an example of yet another benefit of owning a CarveWright/CompuCarve machine - great friendships and partnerships happen!

Here here!!

Cbrown
08-14-2008, 10:55 PM
Great Job Chris & Al. They look amazing. Chris, you must have alot of patience for that painting. I haven't learned that yet :p Luckily, my girlfriend has kinda started painting some of mine for me.

ChrisAlb
08-14-2008, 11:01 PM
Great Job Chris & Al. They look amazing. Chris, you must have alot of patience for that painting. I haven't learned that yet :p Luckily, my girlfriend has kinda started painting some of mine for me.

Well...LOL...I'm completely new to painting anything let alone stuff like that but once we had the contract, it wasn't so much patience as it was...Just get It DONE...LOL

I'm not ashamed to admit I was pretty nervous going in and worried about how they'd come out.

Thanks for the kind words...http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif

Audie
08-15-2008, 11:21 AM
Chris & Al,

Congrats on a job well done! Ahhhhhh...the joys of owning your own business! LOL....bet a "Trunk Monkey" would have been handy!

Audie

ChrisAlb
08-15-2008, 11:26 AM
Chris & Al,

Congrats on a job well done! Ahhhhhh...the joys of owning your own business! LOL....bet a "Trunk Monkey" would have been handy!

Audie

I'M......Eating a banana right now.....:rolleyes:

Audie
08-15-2008, 12:06 PM
Eating a banana right now.....:rolleyes:

You or the "Trunk Monkey"? LOL....or both!

Hey, I need a CW trained expert "Trunk Monkey" too! Heck if I don't get any carving done I'll be ROFLMA just watching the "Trunk Monkey" do his thing!:D

ChrisAlb
08-15-2008, 12:10 PM
Whoops....LOL...fixed my post. I forgot "I'M" .......http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif

Jvicaretti
08-15-2008, 07:41 PM
Very nice, congratulations Al and Chris!

Digitalwoodshop
08-15-2008, 08:52 PM
The Trunk Monkey must eat too.... The Fine Detail Painting Model....

Snicker....

AL

Edit: I took the liberty to post Pictures Chris sent me on my web site to showcase what the machine can do and give Chris more "Air Time"..... Chris take a BOW.... Every item in EVERY picture was 100% hand finished by Chris.

http://www.poconodigitalwoodshop.com/pine_forest_camp_project