PDA

View Full Version : Two questions:

Len Dye
08-14-2008, 09:04 AM
1. How do you add new cutter bits so the machine knows the size of the bit. Like a 3/16 just for an example.

2. Is there a way to do a fast ruff out of a project (larger bit) before running the final cuts that remove the last .012 or so for the finish ( 1/16 ).

Thanks,

Len

HighTechOkie
08-14-2008, 09:49 AM
1. How do you add new cutter bits so the machine knows the size of the bit. Like a 3/16 just for an example.

You can not add bits to Designer software.

2. Is there a way to do a fast ruff out of a project (larger bit) before running the final cuts that remove the last .012 or so for the finish ( 1/16 ).

It is not possible to do a rough out pass.

These are features requiring a more advanced CNC router and user.

Rob

MikeMcCoy
08-14-2008, 10:04 AM
When I'm doing multiple peices with the same or similar sized pattern, I have had the CW just do a single cut (outline) in the areas that will not have any carving done and then just hand routed those areas with edge guides and a plunge router. Saves on CW time and speeds up the process.

liquidguitars
08-14-2008, 10:14 AM

For 3/16 or smaller you can get a 1/8" bit adapter from Ron on ebay or email him.
In Designer select the 1/16 ball its a good fit.

You can make two passes with the software first pass .65
second .72. and so on just like the big boys.

LG

HighTechOkie
08-14-2008, 10:43 AM
You can make two passes with the software first pass .65
second .72. and so on just like the big boys.

I can see where this would work for cutouts, but can you elaborate for doing that for raster carving?

Rob

atauer
08-14-2008, 11:12 AM
You can make two passes with the software first pass .65, second .72. and so on just like the big boys.
LG

Would this result in longer carve times? Also, you would get the same amount of detail on each depth. The machine will get all the detail on one pass, so multiple passes would not be needed.

liquidguitars
08-14-2008, 11:19 AM
Hello Rob,

You are not locked to the 1/16 carving bit with raster.

I have some projects that only use the 1/4 ball for my raster work.

if needed you can use the 1/4 ball set to .50 and then the 1/8 ball to finish .52

the carvewright cuts clean so "fast ruff" it's not realy needed but you can do it.

Would this result in longer carve times? Also, you would get the same amount of detail on each depth. The machine will get all the detail on one pass, so multiple passes would not be needed.

yes.

photo shows raster carving in ebony using the 1/4 ball bit and a link to a movie..

http://www.liquidguitars.com/RaduisFingerII.wmv

LG

atauer
08-14-2008, 11:27 AM
So the main question should be: Should I sacrifice longer carve times on the machine for less stress by doing multiple passes?

liquidguitars
08-14-2008, 11:41 AM
So the main question should be: Should I sacrifice longer carve times on the machine for less stress by doing multiple passes?

Hogging out wood is the standerd for a lot of CNC work and it's good that we can do it buy changing out the bits.

but... yes, it not needed much with the Carvewright!

LG

Digitalwoodshop
08-14-2008, 12:26 PM
If you watch the bit in Best Mode it goes fast then does a slow final cleanup pass for the final finish. Like roughing out but Smart Computer Controlled.... Thanks LHR...

AL