PDA

View Full Version : Check this out

atauer
08-13-2008, 02:38 PM
Normally, I would not put up any links to anything not related to Carvewright. However, being from a po-dunk town in Oklahoma, I tend to have a few "bright" ideas. I was doing some browsing on woodworking stuff and found this article.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Drill-Press-Lathe/

Bright idea bulb went off. Half tempted to try this, but at the same time, it don't look very safe. But, what would I know about safety?? I've cut my fingers clean off with a table saw bcause i wasn't following the safety procedure. Still got them all, but scared the bejeezes out of me!

Anyways, thought you guys might like seeing some "Southern Ingenuity".

Ken Massingale
08-13-2008, 03:12 PM
I actually have a friend who uses his drill press for turning pens. However he uses this one from PennStateInd.

http://www.pennstateind.com/graphics/400px/DPLATHE.jpg

I can't get the hang of having the toolrest vertical, so I'll stick with my Jet Mini lathe. For $22 the drill press is a neat way to do some turning without a large investment, but it's just another entry onto the slippery slope of turning from which there is no exit, really.

ncamp
08-13-2008, 11:03 PM
A vertical tool rest just does not seem natural. For the life of me, I can't see how you could get a smooth surface that way.

On the other hand, it you learned on one of these critters, then a horizontal tool rest might seem crazy.

My first lathe was a ~$150 one from Rockler. After spending several times more than that on tools, chucks, and other accessories, I decided I really did not save any money with the cheap one. I got a Jet 1442. Now I keep thinking that a VFD would be good for a lathe.

What does this have to do with the Carvewright. Turning makes the Carvewright machine look like an inexpensive hobby! :rolleyes:

Digitalwoodshop
08-13-2008, 11:21 PM
I am waiting for the extra axis sled for the CarveWright where your Y Axis locks in the center and a sled with a spindle blank is rotated on the sled. I expect a Christmas Announcement some year to excite sales....

You could do it now making a manually indexed sled where you run the same piece through a few times setting it up like a new board for each face of the spindle.

In the mean time I will just press that button on the dash of my car.... You know the one from the auto club..... CLUB....

http://hytaipan.home.comcast.net/~hytaipan/media/trunk_monkey.html

I have tears in my eyes from laughing so hard....

AL

A little.... or a lot off topic but worth a look....

Jeff_Birt
08-14-2008, 08:07 AM
ROFL!!!! That was great Al....

Ken Massingale
08-14-2008, 08:57 AM
I am waiting for the extra axis sled for the CarveWright where your Y Axis locks in the center and a sled with a spindle blank is rotated on the sled. I expect a Christmas Announcement some year to excite sales....

You could do it now making a manually indexed sled where you run the same piece through a few times setting it up like a new board for each face of the spindle.

In the mean time I will just press that button on the dash of my car.... You know the one from the auto club..... CLUB....

http://hytaipan.home.comcast.net/~hytaipan/media/trunk_monkey.html

I have tears in my eyes from laughing so hard....

AL
Great Al, thanks. I'd seen one of those but didn't know there were others. My fav is the alien one, the guy saying 'I don't do probes', I'm still laughing.

Digitalwoodshop
08-14-2008, 09:01 AM
I had seen them all except the last two.... Great TV....

Better than the Got Milk Cows.... Happy Cows....

AL

Jvicaretti
08-14-2008, 09:08 AM
That is a group of very funny clips, thanks for the laughs.

Audie
08-14-2008, 10:13 AM
My gut still hurts from laughing!

Thank you thank you for the joy of laughter!
Audie

brdad
08-14-2008, 12:07 PM
For gifts last Christmas, we made memory boxes for some family members. They were full of memories and interests of the recipient, as well as a few inside jokes. They went over real well.

A few things we got from the doll house section of the craft store, but we made as much as we could. The mugs, soda cans, mop handle, bucket, flower pot, and the carrot on the floor were all turned in the drill press. Plus turned a few other things for the other boxes.

Since I didn't have the fancy version, I just clamped the dowel in the chuck, and for support on the base I used a block of wood with a V cut in it. I then used some cheap carving chisels I had. Not exactly a technique they teach in wood shop - and for good reason - it's hard to do without a solid tool rest. I ended up breaking a few dowels as well as a chisel and had a few close calls before I decided there had to be a better way! I pulled out my Dremel tool with a diamond bit on it, and while the stock was being turned by the drill press, I carved my shapes with that. Worked pretty well, actually.

We also hand made the TV, the table, shelves, bird house, light fixture, window frame ... the wallpaper and border is what the my mother had in her previous kitchen and loved - we took a photo of it, and then scaled and printed it onto sticker paper. We took a pic of one of her dishes from her set and printed that out as well. We also make a calendar, (right wall in this photo) for each with the month of their birth on it.

I would have built a better display box if I had a CW... perhaps this year!

And the monkey fits in with Al's link!