PDA

View Full Version : Base Molding

Semperfi4000
08-11-2008, 03:56 PM
I've been looking at the CW machine and was wondering if anyone has used it in creating baseboards ( Base Molding ) ? I want to replace my base molding around my house. I probaby have 300 Linear ft. and I want something that orginal and unique, and thought that this product may work for this type of applicaiton.
thank you

Jvicaretti
08-11-2008, 04:03 PM
I have started making cove molding with mine. I am not using the CW for the cove pattern but rather for decorative stuff on the wood.

cnsranch
08-11-2008, 04:21 PM
It'll do it, no doubt - many have, and if you search "molding", etc., you'll find a lot of patterns.

Problem is, the carve time will kill you. Depending on your detail, you could have an hour per foot - time, material and the hour meter on your machine will justify a pretty expensive, ready-made product you can buy.

But that's just my opinion (of which TLOML says I'm never without).

Kenm810
08-11-2008, 04:53 PM
Semperfi4000,

Both Jvicaretti and cnsranch have valid points, Yes it can be done, and do a fine job of it,
But the time involved in doing some 300 ft of molding may possibly far exceed the 200 hour warranty of your Machine. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_confused.gif

Ps. Welcome to the CW Forum

Amonaug
08-11-2008, 05:21 PM
To put it in perspective. A simple half dome shape molding 72" x 3" x 1/2" will take 4.75 hours to carve on Best in 1.126

supershingler
08-11-2008, 05:53 PM
there are a vairety of other machines that you could make moulding with that are better equiped to do the job
many of them you can draw a profile you want the they will make you a cutter to do the job

i would suggest this route

welcome and happy carving

TerryT
08-11-2008, 06:32 PM
Rather than doing the molding itself, I carved plinth blocks and corner blocks to dress up my molding. I turned out great and carve time was only about 5 minutes per piece.

jeff412
11-26-2008, 02:28 PM
I have only had my machine for a couple of weeks. I am in the process of building a game room. I would like a custom molding with arcade characters. I was thinking of just using the outline of the image and doing a vector carve, then using one of the router bits from end to end on the board. Am I going about this all wrong? I already have about 300 LF of red oak that was given to me.

Jeff

ChrisAlb
11-26-2008, 02:42 PM
Hi Jeff & Welcome,

You'd have to have a good table/roller setup to handle long lengths which can certainly be done. Carving the characters in the base with the CW would be great but I'd suggest using a hand router to run the edge. It will be much faster and a much simpler setup, i.e. just a couple work horses and you're off.

Hexe SA
11-26-2008, 02:55 PM
Just carve your characters, cut out and glue or nail on, a lot faster. Use pieces of your molding to match wood.
Eva

liquidguitars
11-26-2008, 03:10 PM
you could also use a few router bits like a ogee and box bit attaced to a vertex path. It shoud be fast once you get a good outfeed table setup.

LG

jeff412
11-26-2008, 03:40 PM
Thanks for the tips. I don't currently have a router, but Santa is supposed to bring me one. I'm fairly new to fine woodworking. I've built houses, but I've never done any of the "artwork". I've been lurking here for a couple of months and have been wanting a CNC router. I finally found a CC at Sears for $600.00 and just had to try it for that price. So far I am very happy with it. We have just done some simple carvings like the "apple box" project and an address sign for the house, but we are getting better with it. It definitely takes a little time to learn what NOT to do.

Jeff