PDA

View Full Version : First design attempt

brdad
08-10-2008, 09:27 AM
Hi all,
I don't have my CW yet, but have been reading up and thinking up possibilities. I figured I would make something to go in my garage first since not many people will see it if it's not great. :rolleyes: So, this project was inspired by a recent trip out west. I'd like to know if anyone sees any problems with the design or carving of this.

2upchuck
08-10-2008, 09:31 AM
Looks Great...........Now ya just need the CW . Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Chuck

brdad
08-30-2008, 10:18 AM
But not without a hitch. I had several Power fluctuation errors, which eventually led to the machine shutting down at about 50%. After searching here to see what others have done (never assume you're the first one to have a problem with any piece of technology!), I opened the CW up and started testing and found that the connector that connects to the power supply was not making a good contact. In fact, I plugged the CW in and wiggled it, it sparked easily. So I disassembled the connector and adjusted the contact so it would have a firmer fit. The coils on the supply are still well adhered and soldered. I started up the project again on the same board and made it to about 80% before I got a few more fluctuation errors. But I finished and the end result was not bad. I carved the Jeff Birt's apple in pine today without a hitch. I am assuming I still have a loose connector somewhere, and that it didn't bother on the apple because there was not as much vibration. The Z travel was vibrating quite a bit while doing the background texture of the Rt 66 sign, I think that's what is working a connector loose somewhere. Now I just gotta find it. ;)

On the design end, I would have left the outer borders be the same height as the board, ad had the texture up a little higher. But, it's still good enough to hang in my garage.

Kenm810
08-30-2008, 10:43 AM
brdad

Great first plaque,
I really like the open celled appearance
of the textured background, it looks Terrific http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

Audie
08-30-2008, 10:52 AM
Brdad,

Excellent project! I am glad you were inspired by your visit out west and now I am inspired to carve the Route 66 plaque also....lol...since I live out west!

Thank you!
Audie

brdad
08-30-2008, 02:50 PM
Thanks for the compliments. Here is an edited version, with the borders at the full height of the board, like I would have done it, had I known what I was doing. :)

mtylerfl
08-30-2008, 09:39 PM
Brdad,

You did an excellent job on the Rt 66 plaque! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with next. (I detect some great talent!)