PDA

View Full Version : Will this Work II

mostlycold
08-09-2008, 12:17 PM
Similar to Rocky's problem, I have a dish shape that is convex on top and concave on the back. Cuts 1/4" on top, invert and cuts 1/4" on bottom, and leaves the dish shape in the middle 1/4" thick. Just can't figure how to cut the carved shape out of the board - cut line is greyed out for me as well. Saw someone discuss using drill holes but that seems like a busy workaround. Any ideas? Also, got frustrated after countless attempts trying to figure out and erased the file. Will make another one if it helps answer question. I'm new at this and fairly certain that I'm missing something simple.

Thanx,
Dan

PS Liquid Guitars - you just blow me away dude - you're work is the reason I originally bought this machine.

liquidguitars
08-09-2008, 01:21 PM
thats so cool!

I made up this MPC last year for a member.. it could be
what you need.

http://liquidguitars.com/Saltdot/saltdotR001.mpc

LG

Amonaug
08-09-2008, 01:51 PM
Similar to Rocky's problem, I have a dish shape that is convex on top and concave on the back. Cuts 1/4" on top, invert and cuts 1/4" on bottom, and leaves the dish shape in the middle 1/4" thick. Just can't figure how to cut the carved shape out of the board - cut line is greyed out for me as well. Saw someone discuss using drill holes but that seems like a busy workaround. Any ideas? Also, got frustrated after countless attempts trying to figure out and erased the file. Will make another one if it helps answer question. I'm new at this and fairly certain that I'm missing something simple.

Thanx,
Dan

PS Liquid Guitars - you just blow me away dude - you're work is the reason I originally bought this machine.

Are you using a carved region to create the dish or a pattern?

Kenm810
08-09-2008, 02:36 PM
I'm not near my Machine to try this.
but your welcome to see
if it's close to what your looking for.

Ken Massingale
08-09-2008, 02:56 PM
I'm not near my Machine to try this.
but your welcome to see
if it's close to what your looking for.
Thanks for posting the mpc, Ken, I'm going to try one today.
But, I just have to ask. Looking at the carving list, what does MrBallsR002 mean, or shouldn't I be asking? :-)

Kenm810
08-09-2008, 04:34 PM
LoL!!

I have no idea --- that's what LG called it -- and it sounded good to me http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_razz.gif

mostlycold
08-10-2008, 12:00 PM
Amonaug - I was using a pattern.

LG - Great file, but I still don't see how you cut it out of the board it's carved in? Flipped it over and nothing on back.

Kenm810 - Exactly what I was looking for? Now, at the risk of asking you to teach me how to fish :>), could you explain the steps in how you designed it?

Thanx again, this forum rocks because of folks like you!
Dan

Amonaug
08-10-2008, 12:41 PM
Amonaug - I was using a pattern.

LG - Great file, but I still don't see how you cut it out of the board it's carved in? Flipped it over and nothing on back.

Kenm810 - Exactly what I was looking for? Now, at the risk of asking you to teach me how to fish :>), could you explain the steps in how you designed it?

Thanx again, this forum rocks because of folks like you!
Dan

If you are using a pattern, select the pattern then "Outline Pattern" to create a path. Select the path then use "Cut Path".

Or as Ken did, he created a circle with the circle tool then applied "Cut Path" to it.

liquidguitars
08-10-2008, 12:56 PM
basically the pattern that Ken uploaded is my PTN I made for a user of this forum last year it's a 3D shape of a simple ball.

Ken is showing you how to layout correctly but try setting the top PTN or "Mrballs" to .70 deep.
This will make the dish a bit thinner at the bottom and you will need to index the wood so it will not move when carving.

I use Mrballs for my guitar knobs recesses, the name of the PTN is what we call a "Duck" :p

LG

Kenm810
08-10-2008, 01:08 PM
Hey Dan Sorry,
I was not ignoring your post – I lost my connection to the web, it’s been going in and out with the rain storms we’ve been having since Friday.
Kevin and LG are right about the layout and the cut path, ---Thanks Guys for filling in the info for Dan while I fight with this (@#&#@!!) connection. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_confused.gif

mostlycold
08-12-2008, 12:15 AM
Will try again based on your advice. Appreciate the time you took to help me with this.