PDA

View Full Version : Why oval holes?

Rocky
08-08-2008, 07:54 AM
I've been experimenting with different CW functions. I had the CW drill a few 1/8" holes using the 1/8" bit and the holes were slightly oblong, not perfectly round. Is this something that can be corrected? Is it something I've done wrong?

Thanks,

Jeff_Birt
08-08-2008, 08:02 AM
I would check a few mechanical items first. Is the 1/8" bit in good shape? Is its bit adapter in good shape? When the bit/adapter is inserted into the chuck can you wiggle it at all?

Also please keep in mind that anytime you plunge a flat end mill, (type of bit that the 1/8" cutting bit is), it will wobble just a little as it has no point to guide it. This is true on any machine tool and it make the hole every so slightly out of round at the materials surface.

If you can post a picture that would help...

Rocky
08-08-2008, 08:52 AM
I would check a few mechanical items first. Is the 1/8" bit in good shape? Is its bit adapter in good shape? When the bit/adapter is inserted into the chuck can you wiggle it at all?

Also please keep in mind that anytime you plunge a flat end mill, (type of bit that the 1/8" cutting bit is), it will wobble just a little as it has no point to guide it. This is true on any machine tool and it make the hole every so slightly out of round at the materials surface.

If you can post a picture that would help...

Jeff,

The bit is new (first time I used it). It seems secure in its adapter and it felt secure in the chuck. Your comment about the flat end makes good sense. Would a 1/8" standard drill bit work better (I did buy a spare adapter)?

I've attached the pic; the holes that came thru the oval and rectangle were from an earlier test on the reverse side of the board.

Thanks,

Jeff_Birt
08-08-2008, 08:55 AM
Can you post your MPC file? You have an problem there somewhere...

Rocky
08-08-2008, 09:08 AM
Can you post your MPC file? You have an problem there somewhere...

Here it is!

Jeff_Birt
08-08-2008, 09:22 AM
Your MPC looks just fine. Your drilled holes should work MUCH better than that though. Try two other things if you would. Draw a short, say 2" long, horizontal and vertical lines and assign the 1/8" bit to them at a depth of 0.25". Next drill two larger, say .25" holes, one through the board and the other 0.25" deep. Hopefully this will help you figure out if it an issue with drilling am 1/8" hole (software bug) or a mechanical issue.

BTW what version of Designer are you using?

liquidguitars
08-08-2008, 09:38 AM
also, look at your table pressure, sandpaper belts for folding at the ends and make sure that your test board can move freely in and out of the CW before you crank down as binding will cause bad holes.

LG

Rocky
08-08-2008, 10:31 AM
Your MPC looks just fine. Your drilled holes should work MUCH better than that though. Try two other things if you would. Draw a short, say 2" long, horizontal and vertical lines and assign the 1/8" bit to them at a depth of 0.25". Next drill two larger, say .25" holes, one through the board and the other 0.25" deep. Hopefully this will help you figure out if it an issue with drilling am 1/8" hole (software bug) or a mechanical issue.

BTW what version of Designer are you using?

I've attached the "new" mpc, a pic of the "new" cut, and a CW message I received this time and the first time (as I think I read in a Tips & Tricks", one can "Ignore" this message when one knows that the board is long enough to stay under a roller, since my cuts were limited to a small area on board). My actual board is the same size as the virtual board.

I'm using Version 1.30.

Thanks for your time,

mtylerfl
08-08-2008, 03:00 PM
Rocky,

Try making your virtual board just barely long enough to fit your actual design elements, then put a board in your machine that has at least 3.5" extra on each end.

I'm thinking because you made both the fake and real boards the same size, your project may be leaving the rollers and allowing the board to move during drilling.

Digitalwoodshop
08-08-2008, 05:49 PM
I am thinking Calibration..... Do you have a 3/8 bit needed for calibration?

The reason I am thinking Calibration is I am sure that part of the calibration procedure is to convert the pulses to linear motion. I other words, if you look at the back of the encoder you just see lines that make pulses. The computer must know how many pulses it takes to make a linear inch. You unit must have a bad load of data in the Y location making the computer count out say 17 pulses for the hole but in your case my 17 pulses are not the same physical size as yours.

Your 17 pulses might equal .45 inches where my 17 pulses might equal .25 inches. It is converting rotation into a linear movement.

Try Calibration and let us know.

AL

liquidguitars
08-08-2008, 07:48 PM
what he said..

LG

Rocky
08-09-2008, 12:05 PM
Rocky,

Try making your virtual board just barely long enough to fit your actual design elements, then put a board in your machine that has at least 3.5" extra on each end.

I'm thinking because you made both the fake and real boards the same size, your project may be leaving the rollers and allowing the board to move during drilling.

Mike,

I tried that, but results were the same, slightly oval holes at the top of the hole (back side looks fine). :confused:

Thanks,

Rocky
08-10-2008, 02:32 PM
Are there any guidelines covering what type of bits can be safely used in the bit adapters? I have a spare bit adapter. Can I put a regular 1/8" brad point drill bit in the adapter and safely use it on my CW just to drill holes?

Thanks,

Digitalwoodshop
08-10-2008, 02:49 PM
You would need a sleeve on the bit to make the 1/4 inch unless you have one of RJustice 1/8 inch adapters.

It you have your designer set up to just cut holes with that file it should work. Tell it that the hole is .125 I believe so it is just a plunge. If there was also a Cut Path on the file you would be in trouble... It would snap the bit or break the Z Truck housing due the the stress.

I believe someone posted months ago using the CarveWright to drill the holes for shelves using a 1/4 inch or metric bit and just telling designer the hole was .125 so it would just plunge.

Proceed with caution. Any side motion with just a drill bit will spell trouble, something broken...

AL

Rocky
08-10-2008, 02:52 PM
You would need a sleeve on the bit to make the 1/4 inch unless you have one of RJustice 1/8 inch adapters.

It you have your designer set up to just cut holes with that file it should work. Tell it that the hole is .125 I believe so it is just a plunge. If there was also a Cut Path on the file you would be in trouble... It would snap the bit or break the Z Truck housing due the the stress.

I believe someone posted months ago using the CarveWright to drill the holes for shelves using a 1/4 inch or metric bit and just telling designer the hole was .125 so it would just plunge.

Proceed with caution. Any side motion with just a drill bit will spell trouble, something broken...

AL

Thanks, Digitalwoodshop.