PDA

View Full Version : Please close Lid??

SAA3840
08-07-2008, 11:43 PM
My machine is about a month old now and I've just about got it figured out. Or so I thought. Now I keep getting "Please close Lid" messages. I open and reclose the lid, press "Enter" and the machine restarts. I go to walk away and it stops again, same message. What's up with that?
Through the process of opening and closing, thumping and everything else, I found that if I press on the center of the the lid, not real hard, just enough to bend the lid about 1/4", the message does not come back. So I laid a steel bar on the lid and the machine finished my current project (The current project was 2 1/2" wide so the bar didn't interfere with the machine) .
I tried blowing out the two switches for the "open lid" and it didn't seem to help. Keeping the machine vacuumed out didn't help either. The only thing that worked was to bend the lid a bit. :confused: :confused:

hamburgrd
08-07-2008, 11:59 PM
I had the same problem about six months ago. I put a little tape on the tab that contacts the cover switch. This fixed it for a while. I eventually had to send mine back for other reasons and told the LHR tech that i thought the cover was warped. LHR sent it back with a new cover. Been carving strong since. You can check the cover switch by listening for the click when you close the cover.

Eric

SAA3840
08-08-2008, 12:22 AM
I had the same problem about six months ago. I put a little tape on the tab that contacts the cover switch. This fixed it for a while. I eventually had to send mine back for other reasons and told the LHR tech that i thought the cover was warped. LHR sent it back with a new cover. Been carving strong since. You can check the cover switch by listening for the click when you close the cover.

Eric

I can hear the clicks ok, the machine even starts running, but it quits after about a minute or so. I'd hate to think I have to send the machine back just to have the lid and or top replaced.
I have sent a copy of my original post regarding this to Carvewright, let's wait and see what their response is.

liquidguitars
08-08-2008, 03:23 AM
I can hear the clicks ok, the machine even starts running, but it quits after about a minute or so

look at the small plug at the back of the unit running up to the cover. The cover connector gets loose at times so just push it back in.

you can check the covers mini switches using the keypad "03" sensor check.

LG

SandBuoy
08-08-2008, 10:31 AM
SAA, just went threw this problem myself about a month ago. I used some computer contact cleaner/lub I got at RS. Its is more like compressed air with a lubricant in it for computer parts.

That fixed it for about a week then it started acting up again. Tried the tape on door lever, taking it out, opening the sensor and lightly blowing it out and nothing. Seemed to be working and clicking but when I check it with the multi meter it was a dead switch. Finally went down to RS and they had the exact same sensor there for $1.99. I bought 3 of them in case I messed one up soldiering the wires back on.

Its worked great every since...the door sensor anyway. There is a lever on the RS ones that you need to take off. Just loosed the one side and it will fall out. Hope this helps. I added one to my CW list of parts to get at one time so I have an original part. I think theirs comes with the cables which is nice.

cnsranch
08-08-2008, 10:41 AM
Search "close cover" you'll get a ton of info.

The micro switch under the lid on the key pad side is either loose, or out of alignment.

The bigger switch opposite side is the cut motor switch -

Digitalwoodshop
08-08-2008, 06:21 PM
You can put the white plug on backwards too... White wire to the middle of the machine.... How do I know this.... Yes I put it on wrong.....

AL

SAA3840
08-09-2008, 10:51 PM
I give up. I took the advice given on this thread and checked the lid switch, put an OHM meter across the switch terminals, blew out all the sawdust and checked the alignment/rigidity of the switch mounting. Fired up the machine, everything worked fine. NO "Please Close Lid" message. The machine continued on as if nothing was wrong. After two or three passes with the carving bit, I got a Z axis error.
I shut everything down and checked the tool head. That could be moved up and down ok. It also moved side to side ok, both just like they're supposed to.
Fired it up again, actually, several times again and kept getting the "Z" error.
I fiddled with it some more and the "Z" error went away and I got some kind of "Macro" error. I can't remember exactly what it said. I gave up and packaged up the whole machine to send back to Texas on Monday.
Thanks again for all your help. :( :(

liquidguitars
08-09-2008, 10:58 PM
power can be an issue..

Jeff_Birt
08-09-2008, 11:57 PM
Does your machine have the new Z-pack? What firmware version are you using?

SAA3840
08-10-2008, 12:15 AM
I don't know offhand on either. I purchased the machine in May of this year and I've updated the software, firmware?? I don't know from nothing about that. How does one find out about the new Z pack and/or firmware?

Jeff_Birt
08-10-2008, 12:44 AM
Put your memory card in the reader and fire up Designer. Go to File->Flash manager and it will tell you. Firmware is the machines control software and is stored on the card.

Is there a black 'U' shaped thing on the left side of your Z-truck?

Digitalwoodshop
08-10-2008, 12:46 AM
That is the best thing to do at this time. When you get it back expect to need to follow the instructions to switch the Probe from the Z to the Cover. Look for the instructions. They will give you all the latest fixes and you should be good to go.... Your display will say Scan Area upon start up until you make the change.

It won't be easy to learn all the tricks but you are here reading and that is a big PLUS...

Good Luck,

AL

hamburgrd
08-10-2008, 09:58 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I want to carve a litho,
for my parents I must.
An error message flashes,
my carve is a bust.

The assert macro failed,
I cuss and I swear.
To the forum I go,
they will fix my despair.

Did a search and found nothing,
so LHR I did call.
Send it back they said,
I thought I would bawl.

Now out in my driveway,
there is a brown truck.
Two men carry my carver,
through snow and brown muck.

I stand in my shop,
with hands on my hips.
Looking at the space,
where my carver once through chips.

Some may think,
I wrote this for spite.
I just want you to know,
I miss my Carve Wright.

Digitalwoodshop
08-10-2008, 11:56 AM
Must be the Water in PA.....

:) AL

SAA3840
08-10-2008, 11:46 PM
Put your memory card in the reader and fire up Designer. Go to File->Flash manager and it will tell you. Firmware is the machines control software and is stored on the card.

Is there a black 'U' shaped thing on the left side of your Z-truck?

The Firmware I have is 1.130. As far as having or not having a Black 'U' shaped thing on the Z-truck, I don't know as the machine is all packed up and ready for shipping.
The memory card did store the errors I got; 8 Z axis stalls and 8 "Assert Macro Failed".
I intend to call Carvewright in the morning and get all the particulars for sending the machine back. I want everything fixed and working right. I just hate to be without my new toy for 2-3 weeks. :(:(:(