PDA

View Full Version : Board Thickness

jerrbitt
08-07-2008, 12:50 PM
There is a sample pattern on the CW site called winds_grill. Carved it twice no problem. Since then machine repaired and upgraded. Triedt o carve this pattern again and the bit started out about 1/8" above the board. Okay finally reached the board and started carving. Problem is that since this is a pierced carving, it stopped the same 1/8 before cutting through. Should have said this pattern is 17"x10.5"x 1/2". Of course the board is a 1/2"thick also.

Called tech support, ran sensor and calibration tests and everything seemed to be okay. They asked for a copy of the pattern so that they could run it. Done. Any ideas what went wrong.

Another conundrum ---- interesting thing that I could not find in the manual or search of this forum is on the configuration menu, options 6: the message is to enter board thickness. That puzzles me since I am under the impression that the machine when it touches down, it then proceeds to carve based on your designer settings. What is the purpose?

Am I missing something ---- as usual. Please explain.

Amonaug
08-07-2008, 01:30 PM
Obvious question but is the bit touching the bit plate during the setup and bit change?

jerrbitt
08-07-2008, 02:42 PM
I don't reall checking to see if it touched the bit plate. After the unsucessful pattern, I tried some centerline text and got the same result. Then I got your message and reloaded and yes it did touch the bit plate and this time carved. Tried it again on a pattern with the carving bit and yes it touched and carved okay.

Now I'm really confused. But that's not the first time that happend with this wonderful but at times perplexing machine.

Amonaug
08-07-2008, 05:42 PM
If the bit is not touching the bit plate the machine thinks it is and thinks the bit is longer than it actually is so it carves above the board.

It's very important to keep an eye on the machine while it goes through it's setup, otherwise you get unexpected results such as you did.

Many reasons for the bit not to touch the bit plate.
1) the bit plate did come out far enough for the bit to touch it.
2) dust on the rails providing more resistance to movement thus premature detection of when the bit touches something.
3) power surge/drop from other equipment starting up/running on the same circuit giving false readings.

supershingler
08-07-2008, 05:59 PM
jerbitt

i had the same problem on a couple of plaques.

i did a major cleaning and lube job and the problem quit.

so i guess its like chris say clean, clean, clean

kendall

www.go3d.us
08-07-2008, 07:09 PM
Do you have the board set to .5" in designer?

Amonaug
08-07-2008, 07:57 PM
Do you have the board set to .5" in designer?

Thickness in Designer shouldn't matter.

jerrbitt
08-07-2008, 08:19 PM
I loaded the pattern that was the cause of my original message. Yep you guessed it...darn thing went right dow to the board level and started carving.

I've now learned another lesson. Make sure the bit touches the bit plate. And yes I've been careful about including the bit plate in my cleaning procedure.