PDA

View Full Version : Oval Lighthouse Wall Hanger

SandBuoy
08-07-2008, 01:01 AM
Wife asked me to carve a oval wall hanger like the one in the shoe cabinet. I decided to use a piece of walnut I had glued up for it. Well she needed something lighter that matches the Alder one so I did a larger one today she will start staining tomorrow.

She stained and finished this one the other night for me. I love the color of this one so I think I will hang it over my dresser or in my bathroom. She did a heck of a job staning and finishing it for me.

Jvicaretti
08-07-2008, 06:11 AM
Very nice sandbouy!

mtylerfl
08-07-2008, 07:33 AM
That's a great project!

tstryk
08-07-2008, 07:35 AM
NICE one. Are the variations of color in the wood or in the staining? I like it!

CraigR
08-07-2008, 09:40 AM
That is nice! Any chance to get the ptn?

SandBuoy
08-07-2008, 09:50 AM
Thanks folks for the complimenets.

TerryS, there was a little variation in the wood but most of it is in using a light stain in the center, darker on the outside and blending them. She used a red oak stain on the outside which gives it that rich oranish color.

Craig: yeah sure, let it get it into a PNT file. I have the MPC file already which would probably allow people to change the features? Will post later this afternoon.

SandBuoy
08-07-2008, 11:51 AM
Heres the MPC file for the carve. Hope that help those that wanted it.

Audie
08-07-2008, 02:29 PM
Thanks for sharing this project Sandbouy! Very nice indeed!!!

Sadly, I can't carve it now - just got my CW back from LHR and one of the new sandpaper belts they replaced shredded on me. I swear, one of these days I will be able to carve a project. (No, the board was not cupped. to heavy, ragged, slide rail wasn't too tight, wasn't too long....dang....all of the threats that the forum posts and that I watch out for was clear) Will be back....gonna go cut downa tree with a pocket knife to relieve some attitude! Owned for 5 months and barely have 29 cut motor hours on it....grrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Jeff_Birt
08-07-2008, 02:31 PM
(No, the board was not cupped. to heavy, ragged, slide rail wasn't too tight, wasn't too long....dang....all of the threats that the forum posts and that I watch out for was clear)

But is the head level?

Audie
08-07-2008, 02:37 PM
But is the head level?

Is the head level or am I being level-headed? Hahaha Jeff! (Just kidding ya)
Yes to both....
I received my CW back from LHR after replacing the Z-pack, sandpaper belts and a few other items.....I have taken the better part of a week to make sure all the functions were in order before I fired it up...

mtylerfl
08-07-2008, 10:21 PM
Is the head level or am I being level-headed? Hahaha Jeff! (Just kidding ya)
Yes to both....
I received my CW back from LHR after replacing the Z-pack, sandpaper belts and a few other items.....I have taken the better part of a week to make sure all the functions were in order before I fired it up...

That's too bad about the sanding belts - and quite a mystery as to why one of them tore all by itself. They are supposed to last the life of the machine if everything is in order.

What does LHR say may have caused the belt to fail?

Audie
08-08-2008, 02:33 PM
That's too bad about the sanding belts - and quite a mystery as to why one of them tore all by itself. They are supposed to last the life of the machine if everything is in order.

What does LHR say may have caused the belt to fail?

LHR stated the possible causes are:
1. Head pressure too high
2. Board cupped
3. A knot or some other imperfection in the board

Since I have already removed the sandpaper assembly on the output side I can test the head pressure. As far as the board....nice and clean, had ran it thru the planer prior to my carve........so the final comments from LHR was:
"and what is your credit card number"

I will check the head pressure prior my next carve....ultimately, I take full responsibility for the shredded belt as I am the only operator of the machine. So yeah, I have ordered a set of belts....hmmmmm....second set of belts - so much for the life of the machine theory - at least my machine.

Oh well, "let the carving begin" and when it does I will rejoice!

Audie
08-08-2008, 02:40 PM
Wife asked me to carve a oval wall hanger like the one in the shoe cabinet. I decided to use a piece of walnut I had glued up for it. Well she needed something lighter that matches the Alder one so I did a larger one today she will start staining tomorrow.

She stained and finished this one the other night for me. I love the color of this one so I think I will hang it over my dresser or in my bathroom. She did a heck of a job staning and finishing it for me.

SandBouy, your project is fantastic! I apologize for my added comments about my CW problems - I never meant to take away from your posting.
Audie

mtylerfl
08-08-2008, 02:48 PM
LHR stated the possible causes are:
1. Head pressure too high
2. Board cupped
3. A knot or some other imperfection in the board
I will check the head pressure prior my next carve....ultimately, I take full responsibility for the shredded belt as I am the only operator of the machine. So yeah, I have ordered a set of belts....hmmmmm....second set of belts - so much for the life of the machine theory - at least my machine.

Ok, thanks for letting us know...I'm knocking on wood:D - neither of my machines have ever had any belt problems whatsoever. Was wondering if anyone thought there was a chance the belt itself was defective or if it was the typical/normal causes.

Spanglerg@hotmail.com
08-09-2008, 06:27 PM
I carved the Oval Lighthouse Wall Hanger yesterday, and finished it last nite.
I added a little touch of my own by highlighting with propane torch, re-sanded and finished with lacquar. Thanks Sandbouy!

SandBuoy
08-09-2008, 09:46 PM
Your welcome Spangler, glad it was used. BUT--We Want Pictures Buddy !!!!

I made another one Thursday night. Just a little larger and I think with a lot more detail. Wife now has two more to finish. One is 17-18" long and the other is the one I just posted. I round the edges and it really make the sign Pop.

CraigR
08-10-2008, 04:51 PM
Just cut this in oak and is terrable ended up as firewood absolutely no real definition of the picture, not sure if it's because I used oak or the pattern needs to be raised if so how would I go about rasing the pattern so it's more pronounced?

SandBuoy
08-11-2008, 12:32 PM
Craig, I just did two more in the last 3 days. Both same pattern and same wood. One stained up really nice and you could see the entire scene. The other had grain in it that wouldn't take stain and looked like CR*P. It too ended up in the trash for firewood.

If you want to try, try setting the height up to 300-999 on the scene in designer. Or lowering the oval carve down a little to bring out the design. Let me know how it turns out.

roughcut
08-11-2008, 07:35 PM
Here is the ptn of the light house . as you can see there is not a lot of depth difference between the background and the objects maybe you can work with it better in as a pattern :)

sweliver
08-11-2008, 09:54 PM
I'm finally going on vacation. Had to postpone it due to the floods. Anyway, my tinder box is all cut offs from carves since Feb. Quite impressive. Got a few carves going to the "gods" too.

btw...all my scraps and sacrificials are wonderfull works of art....

sw

SandBuoy
08-11-2008, 11:58 PM
Hey Audie, no problem buddy. You just make it possible for us to get a little more information from the post. Killed two birds with one stone or carve in our place.