PDA

View Full Version : Assistance cleaning up pattern

Robin Fellows
08-06-2008, 10:47 PM
I scanned and carved this fin today and as expected it has hills and valleys through out the project because of the fact it was rubber. I've attempted 3 times to edit the pattern to produce a smooth finish to no avail and I'm at wits end and asking for some help please.
Thanks in advance,
Robin

badger
08-06-2008, 11:05 PM
No one will be able to edit a ptn file. Once you load it that way it is locked for all other users.

But after looking at it, it looks fairly well so far, all you should need to do is bring it into your designer and smooth or blur it up a bit and that should do the trick.

You will also need to readjust the size of it being its set at over an inch in depth.

Robin Fellows
08-06-2008, 11:47 PM
No one will be able to edit a ptn file. Once you load it that way it is locked for all other users.

But after looking at it, it looks fairly well so far, all you should need to do is bring it into your designer and smooth or blur it up a bit and that should do the trick.

You will also need to readjust the size of it being its set at over an inch in depth.

Can it be sent via PM?

badger
08-07-2008, 12:28 AM
I beleive its still the same. It happened after one of the upgrades to protect the designer and their patterns.

However in your designer you might be able to save it as an image and you should be able to post that.

Amonaug
08-07-2008, 01:19 AM
Or you can do a "save as" and select .mpw which is the art file which anyone should be able to load into pattern editor and modify. .ptn files only the creator can modify it.

badger
08-07-2008, 02:29 AM
Thanks Amonaug, I thought there was another way but this late couldnt think of it.

mtylerfl
08-07-2008, 07:41 AM
Yes, you should always save your work as BOTH mpw and ptn.
I mentioned this in the upcoming August 2008 Tips & Tricks.

PTN files cannot be edited on any computer other than the one it was originally created on.

MPW files can be opened on any computer with any current or future versions of Designer.

An mpw file is your "safety net" if you ever need to go back and make any edits, or if you want to share the artwork with someone else without the fear of copy protection preventing any editing they might want to perform.

Robin Fellows
08-07-2008, 10:53 AM
When I try to upload the MPW file it states it is an invalid file extension. It appears to me that the controls on the patterns are a little to tight. I understand the need to protect ones patterns, but there has to be some leeway somewhere for those of us that are not experts. There needs to be an area in the forum or option in the program to allow the ptn to be edited by anyone if chosen or posted by the originator. After all, if I am willing to share it then I'm obviously willing to let someone edit it for thier use....

Jeff_Birt
08-07-2008, 10:58 AM
To post an MPW just Zip it up first. Right click on the MPW then Send To->Compressed Zip Folder....

Robin Fellows
08-07-2008, 11:50 AM
To post an MPW just Zip it up first. Right click on the MPW then Send To->Compressed Zip Folder....

Thanks Jeff

ChrisAlb
08-07-2008, 12:54 PM
The original scan is pretty darn good. Nothing a little sanding wouldn't take of.

This might be a "little" better but I'd carve either one thinking they'd produce good results.

Robin Fellows
08-07-2008, 02:12 PM
The original scan is pretty darn good. Nothing a little sanding wouldn't take of.

This might be a "little" better but I'd carve either one thinking they'd produce good results.

I appreciate you and the rest of the guys/gals looking over this and trying to improve on it. This will eventually be carved from koa and I am attempting to do as little sanding possible. Aren't we all for that matter!!! Lol

While I am waiting on responses I took the one I carved yesterday (which has the peaks and valleys) and sanded as well as put a rough coat of wood filler to fill in the low spots. After it is all sanded I'll rescan the carve to which I'm hoping to end up with a cleaner pattern.
Thanks again.
Robin

Robin Fellows
08-07-2008, 02:17 PM

After reading your response I attempted to adjust the depth however, I think do to the thickness of the fin (front to back) I will not be able to do it. When I use the raise and lower function it starts to eat away at the pattern. Is it possible I'm just not doing it correctly? Or is there another way to do it?

ChrisAlb
08-07-2008, 02:34 PM
Hi Robin,

The raise and lower does not adjust thickness. You do that with the Depth setting. I have it set to .5" (1/2") deep.

The raise and lower moves the whole pattern up and down in the board. This is only needed to remove the square background left by imaging software when you create a pattern. I lowered it enough to not have a background so you shouldn't need to adjust that.

If you want to play with it, when you lower it, it will move it "though" the bottom of the board producing the "eating away" effect you mentioned.

If you raise it far enough it will move it up through the board and you'll see the tops start to flatten out as they are now above the surface of the board.

If you tilt the view as you do this you can see these effects better.

badger
08-07-2008, 05:09 PM
It was good to start with except the depth but smoothed it up just a little.

You can check it out with the other and notice there isnt much change.