PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive Crash

jcorder
08-06-2008, 09:29 PM
I had a hard drive crash on my shop computer. I have all of my original design patterns on a laptop and then I would transfer them to my shop computer. From the shop computer, I would load them on the card to run the machine and then any changes I would make on the shop computer. Well, when it crashed, I had not backed up my tweaks from the shop computer to the laptop. My question is, and I am afraid I know the answer, is there a way to get pattens back off the card and into a computer?

thanks
Jeff

Kenm810
08-06-2008, 09:38 PM
Sorry Jeff,

The CW memory Card is a one way street, you can upload to it, but not down load from it.
If you do a Form Search you may fine a way that a few other folks may have worked their way around the Drive Crash.
When mine went down, because of backing up some of my files it wasn't a total loss. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon11.gif

jcorder
08-06-2008, 09:52 PM
thanks Ken, I was afraid I could not get things off of the card. I do have all my original patterns, just don't have the tweaks. Oh well, perhaps they will be even better when I re-do them. I think I see a toughbook in my future, I think sawdust in the computer might have started my problems. I just don't have enough room in the shop to set up a separate, filtered area for the computer

Jeff

Kenm810
08-07-2008, 06:36 AM
Hey Jeff,

I put 1" filter foam over my shop PC's air intakes (the stuff that look like foam paint brushes)
I've been using it like that that for 6 years, I use an air nozzle to clear the filters weekly and clean out the PC each time I up grade it.
So far it's been working fine --- The one that crashed was my home computer only 7 months old! -- http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_confused.gif

ChrisAlb
08-07-2008, 07:15 AM
I had a hard drive crash on my shop computer. I have all of my original design patterns on a laptop and then I would transfer them to my shop computer. From the shop computer, I would load them on the card to run the machine and then any changes I would make on the shop computer. Well, when it crashed, I had not backed up my tweaks from the shop computer to the laptop. My question is, and I am afraid I know the answer, is there a way to get pattens back off the card and into a computer?

thanks
Jeff

Just because your system crashed doesn't necessarily mean you have lost all the data on the drive. In Fact, in most cases, the data is still there and just can't be accessed.

If the the drive containing your files is the main C drive (drive that has the operating system on it), the easiest street to seeing that data is to take that hard drive out. Replace it with an old or new drive that has enough room to install an operating system on it. Replace that drive as a slave and you should be able to look at it.

Unless the drive that contains your files is "physically" damaged to the point it won't run, you should be able to get to your files.

TerryT
08-07-2008, 07:44 AM
My computer crashed a few months ago. When I purchased the new computer I also bought a 3.5 in USB drive enclosure and put the old hard drive in it. All of my old files were accessable and usable. It was about $69 I think. Cheap way to save everything. But regular backups is the best way to go. I have a directory called "carve" that holds all of my ptn, mpc and mpw files. I back that up on a 4 gig thumb drive every few days.

jcorder
08-07-2008, 10:20 PM
I think the power supply is toast. I put in another hard drive that I had and started to format it, it did not make it through the process and it burnt the new drive up as well. The drive was so hot I could not touch it and the machine would not recognize there is a hard drive there.

Thanks for the idea on the foam. If I don't get a toughbook, I will put the foam over the fan.

Jeff

AWoodsmith
09-03-2008, 07:38 PM
I think the power supply is toast. I put in another hard drive that I had and started to format it, it did not make it through the process and it burnt the new drive up as well. The drive was so hot I could not touch it and the machine would not recognize there is a hard drive there.

Thanks for the idea on the foam. If I don't get a toughbook, I will put the foam over the fan.

Jeff
Sounds like it could be your power supply or the motherboard Cheapest thing to do is to get a new power supply. You computer should shut dowm before it reaches critical temps.

forqnc
09-03-2008, 09:09 PM
thanks Ken, I was afraid I could not get things off of the card. I do have all my original patterns, just don't have the tweaks. Oh well, perhaps they will be even better when I re-do them.

Jeff

As much as it sucks for what happened, look on the bright side as, what you learn't the first time, will be enhanced the second time.

Practice makes perfect!

Good Luck

Dave-Carve
09-04-2008, 09:26 PM
Take the hard drive out of the computer that crashed .and place it in a good computer as a slave drive.. Back your files up on a External Hard Drive /or Computer Hard drive!!( if You Play with files on other computers Its the best way to go from 39-200 dollars ( also Some pretty cheap usb drives 4GB for 19.99 at walmart)then you always have your file handy for any computer .Most Just Plug into USB port No Power Cord Needed!!..Just back up on external HD and take it with you when needed:D)

jcorder
09-05-2008, 08:21 PM
I just went ahead and got a toughbook, figure in the shop that is the best way to go. I have replacated all the patterns I lost and I am up and running like nothing happened! Thanks for all the responses!

Jeff

Take the hard drive out of the computer that crashed .and place it in a good computer as a slave drive.. Back your files up on a External Hard Drive /or Computer Hard drive!!( if You Play with files on other computers Its the best way to go from 39-200 dollars ( also Some pretty cheap usb drives 4GB for 19.99 at walmart)then you always have your file handy for any computer .Most Just Plug into USB port No Power Cord Needed!!..Just back up on external HD and take it with you when needed:D)

AWoodsmith
09-14-2008, 08:29 AM
How is that toughbook? I have 3 computers that I built, plus a laptop. Was looking at a new one for the shop...