PDA

View Full Version : Carving through bark

Jvicaretti
08-06-2008, 06:39 PM
I have a nice piece of oak slab smooth on one side and rounded with the bark on the other side. My question is can I carve through the bark even though it is not flat if I use a sled?

ChrisAlb
08-06-2008, 06:49 PM
You can but you'll need to match the curve of the log with your design or your carve won't follow it.

Also, make sure your sled's side rails are higher than the top most part of the log by about 1/4".

Hope that helps.

Digitalwoodshop
08-06-2008, 06:58 PM
Be careful about the weight of the oak too... TOO heavy and it will stall and possibly break your X Gear.

AL

Kenm810
08-06-2008, 07:27 PM
Jvicaretti,

Carving text on a curved surface has been played with in the past with some success.
Take a look at these two threads of post, they might help, or at least give a few ideas of what to expect.

Baseball Bats (http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7224&highlight=baseball)
Egg Shape with surface Text (http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7372&highlight=baseball)

Jvicaretti
08-06-2008, 08:00 PM
What would you consider too heavy? Just a rough idea, I know it is impossible to give an exact weight.

Amonaug
08-07-2008, 01:13 AM
What would you consider too heavy? Just a rough idea, I know it is impossible to give an exact weight.

Recommended max weight per the manual is 20 lbs.

TIMCOSBY
08-07-2008, 02:35 AM
peices of masking tape wher the board sensor looks for the board to fool it into thinking you have a flat board in there but it is possible and the bark itself should give the cutter any problems.

Ken Massingale
08-07-2008, 05:05 AM
You can but you'll need to match the curve of the log with your design or your carve won't follow it.

Also, make sure your sled's side rails are higher than the top most part of the log by about 1/4".

Hope that helps.
Hey Chris,
I'm not understanding why the rails need to be ~1/4" higher than the workpiece. Why not the same height? I'm not doubting, just not processing very well.
Thanks bud.

ken

ChrisAlb
08-07-2008, 07:45 AM
Hey Chris,
I'm not understanding why the rails need to be ~1/4" higher than the workpiece. Why not the same height? I'm not doubting, just not processing very well.
Thanks bud.

ken

Ken,

They don't "have" to be a 1/4" higher. Just thought it might be a little easier than making them exactly the same height.

I've found that the rollers have a very small amount of flex. Depending on how Wide the log is, it just insures the rollers can't touch the log. Actually an 1/16 would probably do.

I did the same thing a few months ago and the log was 13" wide. I made the rails exactly the same height on a sled that was 14.5 wide with 3/4 wide rails so the rollers spanned 13". It didn't really interfere with the carving but I could hear a little added strain on the X drive as the rollers made heavier contact on the log. Probably no cause for concern but just being safe than sorry....lol