PDA

View Full Version : Will this work?

Rocky
08-06-2008, 03:14 PM
I'd like to use my CW to create dentils for use in my woodworking projects.

Please see photo from Designer. Will this work in CW? Of course in my projects they would be longer, as needed.

As a separate question, can one determine in what sequence CW would cut the path? For example, would it cut the squares first, or the long straight line?

Thanks,

mtylerfl
08-06-2008, 03:19 PM
I'd like to use my CW to create dentils for use in my woodworking projects.

Please see photo from Designer. Will this work in CW? Of course in my projects they would be longer, as needed.

As a separate question, can one determine in what sequence CW would cut the path? For example, would it cut the squares first, or the long straight line?

Thanks,

Hello Rocky,

Post your mpc so that we can see if you assigned proper cut paths to the elements on your board. (We can't tell just from the photo if you've got a valid project setup or not.)

Digitalwoodshop
08-06-2008, 03:26 PM
Rocky,

You could have the machine cut all the blocks but not the bottom line and run it through your Table Saw to make the final piece. Or make the blocks double wide plus the saw thickness and make 2 sets at a time zipping there center down the Table Saw.

Your Design could break up in the machine and that would not be good... Plus you need to design in 4 inch or 3.5 inches of wood on each end of the project. I mean you need 3.5 inches of EXTRA real world wood on each end of the designer project to stay under the rollers. If the board is only held by one roller than it can tip up and cause a line in the work.

SO many first posts are " I have a line in my artwork that I DID NOT PUT THERE.... WHY?..."

If you read the manual you will see that the machine needs the wood to be under the rollers for stability.

Good Luck,

AL

mtylerfl
08-06-2008, 03:38 PM
Actually, you don't necessarily need to have the extra length of "wood" on the ends of the design layout itself. All depends on how the project will be run.

Based on the photo, it does not appear to be a valid layout, but the mpc will "tell all" if it is posted.

Rocky
08-06-2008, 04:35 PM
Here's the MPC file. Thanks for looking at it.

Dan-Woodman
08-06-2008, 05:03 PM
Rocky
If you want absolutly square corners on the dental molding, rip your board to width first , then turn it up on edge in the cw and have it cut back and forth across the edge with a 1/2" straight bit . You would have to use a sled for this.
later Daniel

Rocky
08-08-2008, 07:55 AM
Here's the MPC file. Thanks for looking at it.

Anyone care to comment on this mpc?

Thanks,

cnsranch
08-08-2008, 10:37 AM
Rocky -

Understanding that I have no idea what I'm doing (haven't done dentil before on the CW)

I see a couple of problems

1. You're cutting some areas twice - you cut the line, then cut each of a number of squares, one side of each has already been cut with the line.

2. Your "Square 1" is off the board, at least delete it.

Why couldn't you use the line segment tool, create a three sided segment (essentially a "U" shape,) get it the size you want, then copy that segment and paste it as many times as you want, centered horizontally so's there all the same distance from the center of the board. Then select a bit (1/8" straight) assign a depth for that bit (in your case, .51") and put 'er in the machine.

Take a look at the attached, but don't give it a go until someone much smarter than me says it can be done.

Finally, understand that your corners will never be square as classic dentil is, they'll be as rounded as the diameter of the bit you're using.

If you've got a table saw, use it if you want clean dentils.

Amonaug
08-08-2008, 11:07 AM
Is this what you want?

1) Layout>snap ... set inteval to what you want (in this case looks like 1/2")

2) View>Toggle Grid Lines

3) Drawing>Connected Lines Tool

4) Simply click on the corners of the grid to form your shape

5) Select Cut Path

This will give you the "teeth" effect and leave the tabs intact and only needs one path to follow.

cnsranch
08-08-2008, 11:25 AM
Kevin

That's basically what I was trying to do (except NOW I understand snap to grid and toggle grid lines :D ,) but Designer won't let me assign a cut path - it's greyed out. Why is that?

Look at the attached.

Amonaug
08-08-2008, 12:34 PM
Kevin

That's basically what I was trying to do (except NOW I understand snap to grid and toggle grid lines :D ,) but Designer won't let me assign a cut path - it's greyed out. Why is that?

Look at the attached.

Hmmm, apparently it only works if the path goes all the way to the edge of the board or is a closed path such as a square.

cnsranch
08-08-2008, 12:39 PM
You da' man!

I extended it to the eob, and low and behold, cut path!

Router-Jim
08-08-2008, 02:09 PM
Another option would be to select the 1/8" straight bit and set the depth to almost thru your board. That way it doesn't have to be a closed figure or have to extend to the EOB.

Jim

Rocky
08-08-2008, 02:35 PM
"Dentil 4.mpc" did it. Thanks, folks. Now I can see that my design was a bit clumsy. :rolleyes:

I realize that some corners will be rounded, but it still looks fine.

Thanks,