pscychnurse
08-06-2008, 07:56 AM
for an 18" project how much longer should my wood be

supershingler
08-06-2008, 07:57 AM
add 7" if you not going to use a sled or carrier board

JVallario
08-06-2008, 08:53 AM
I'm glad someone brought this up - I've been wondereing about this for a while.

So you have to use a sled or carrier board if you want to edge route any project? Or is it only if you want to carve within 3.5 inches of the the edge? The attached video link shows the machine routing all edges without a sled.
http://wood-carving-machine-tips.com/Videos/Video1.html

Is this method risky?

liquidguitars
08-06-2008, 10:29 AM
Is this method risky?

it will work, but if your running more than one part..

One of the best ways I think, is to build a sled and add the tails of 4" or longer on the ends of the sled.

So if I have a finished project of 18" long and 6" wide

make a sled that's 26.50" long and 12" wide, no need to use the "keep under roller option at all" and I never do for sled use.

layout Designer to reflect your sled size and center your wood, use brass screws to hold the work centered in the jig.

Here is a jig i made for a guitar headstock overlay. I used the carvewright to make the jig and cut the pattern.

LG

mtylerfl
08-06-2008, 10:45 AM
One of the best ways I think, is to build a sled and add the tails of 4" or longer on the ends of the sled.

So if I have a finished project of 18" long and 6" wide

make a sled that's 25" long and 12" wide, no need to use the "keep under roller option at all" and I never do.

layout Designer to reflect your jig size and center your wood, use brass screws to hold the work centered in the jig.

LG

Hi LG,

Just so the folks don't get confused, your projects actually are under the rollers at all times, because the sled provides the extra length required to do so.

To clarify, you opt to say "No" to the Stay Under Rollers prompt, but because the sled length is sufficient (7" or more longer than the actual stock being tooled), the project does remain under the rollers in spite of the fact that you are selecting "no".

liquidguitars
08-06-2008, 10:49 AM
yes! thanks MT :)

LG

pscychnurse
08-06-2008, 04:06 PM
when I get my machine back I will try your suggestions....bought it in feb and it never worked so I sent it back hope it hurrys up and gets returned

www.go3d.us
08-06-2008, 04:40 PM
If my project is longer than 7", no extra length need to be added. That is if you use version 1.26.
Version 1.30 will give error (possible board removal) as soon as the board leave the back roller so you need about 3" or 6" extra.
I don't want to wasted any of my piece of wood. :)

liquidguitars
08-06-2008, 05:23 PM
HT

If you come up with a sled you will only loose 1" max.

I not seeing this issue with 1.130 are your outfeed rollers dirty?

LG

ChrisAlb
08-06-2008, 05:38 PM
I don't loose any of my stock?? I just finished two 7 x 18 plaques. Cut my boards 7 x 18. Put them in my 36" long perimeter sled centered and bingo, perfect every time.

I always choose stay under rollers. Why not? It's going to anyway with that long a sled.

Is there some advantage to saying "no" to under rollers when your sled will be there anyway??...:confused:...I don't see any.

liquidguitars
08-06-2008, 05:50 PM
Is there some advantage to saying "no" to under rollers when your sled will be there anyway??......I don't see any.

It will not attempt to scale your carving. A issue if you are using 1:1 scale. we can also use "jog to place.."

LG

supershingler
08-06-2008, 06:05 PM
if you use a sled cant you make your piece in designer 7" longer and 2" wider
than your piece. for instance an 8" x 14" plaque make it 10" x 21 in designer
than do a rectangle box the original 8 x 14 and center both directions to give you the outside of the plaque to keep all carving inside this?

probably an idea that you all use already

kendall

ChrisAlb
08-06-2008, 06:17 PM

It will not attempt to scale your carving. A issue if you are using 1:1 scale. we can also use "jog to place.."

LG

If your board in designer matches your real wood, it won't scale your projects at all. Never does mine. Still I see no advantage to saying no. It will only attempt to scale if your real wood is "smaller" than your project board OR, the sled isn't at least 7" longer than the project board.

In other words...lol...if it ain't set up right.

ChrisAlb
08-06-2008, 06:25 PM
if you use a sled cant you make your piece in designer 7" longer and 2" wider
than your piece. for instance an 8" x 14" plaque make it 10" x 21 in designer
than do a rectangle box the original 8 x 14 and center both directions to give you the outside of the plaque to keep all carving inside this?

probably an idea that you all use already

kendall

Actually kendall, you have it backward. You want the additional wood on your REAL board, not in Designer. If you have an 8 x 14 plaque in "Designer" then you want a 10 x 21 REAL board. Otherwise, Designer WILL attempt to scale it down.

supershingler
08-06-2008, 06:54 PM
yep i see what you mean

the cw will measure the board and center the piece anyway.

my forehead is getting flat from slapping it and say "duh that was toooooooo
simple".

must be the norweigian in me
lol

kendall

liquidguitars
08-06-2008, 07:08 PM
It will only attempt to scale if your real wood is "smaller" than your project board OR, the sled isn't at least 7" longer than the project board.

Attempt is the key word as I do not need the CW to do the math as my designer project and my sled are the same.

So looks like we have a choice!

ChrisA,
I was thinking about you today.. I made a larger sled without a bottom for a guitar body... its not ajustable like yours, but I think it will save work flipping the wood blank..

LG