PDA

View Full Version : Any tips for better carvings?

Rocky
08-06-2008, 05:13 AM
Ok, I've had my CW for a week. So far, so good. Now I'm trying to get my carvings to look better, much better (you know, like what some of you folks have produced). The ones I've done are shallow in depth and they just don't look good. I've been importing JPG and PNG files to make my carvings. Can anyone point me to any links, etc. that might help? I've been leaving the depth set at .25"; should it be deeper to make better carvings? Right now I'm reviewing the published Tips & Tricks.

Thanks,

ChrisAlb
08-06-2008, 05:47 AM
Ok, I've had my CW for a week. So far, so good. Now I'm trying to get my carvings to look better, much better (you know, like what some of you folks have produced). The ones I've done are shallow in depth and they just don't look good. I've been importing JPG and PNG files to make my carvings. Can anyone point me to any links, etc. that might help? I've been leaving the depth set at .25"; should it be deeper to make better carvings? Right now I'm reviewing the published Tips & Tricks.

Thanks,

Getting quality carvings is all about the artwork (graphics) going in. Avoid ANY formats other than PNG. Jepg and most others introduce a lot of noise (Pixels/Speckles) through their compression schemes when saving. You could have a nice clean PNG and if you do nothing but save it as a jepg or other format it will look and carve like crap.

Depths and heights play an important roll in the outcome but it's something you'll have to play with to get the "feel" for the relationship of what you see on the screen as to what comes out in the wood. It's a learning curve that everyone has to go through. Different patterns require different settings. There's no (one set of settings) that covers all patterns. Although "most" well designed patterns will carve nicely at .25"

If it's any consolation, it took me months to get the carvings I now do. Yep, a lot of designer firewood here.....lol

Hope that helps

Rocky
08-06-2008, 06:51 AM
Getting quality carvings is all about the artwork (graphics) going in. Avoid ANY formats other than PNG. Jepg and most others introduce a lot of noise (Pixels/Speckles) through their compression schemes when saving. You could have a nice clean PNG and if you do nothing but save it as a jepg or other format it will look and carve like crap.

Depths and heights play an important roll in the outcome but it's something you'll have to play with to get the "feel" for the relationship of what you see on the screen as to what comes out in the wood. It's a learning curve that everyone has to go through. Different patterns require different settings. There's no (one set of settings) that covers all patterns. Although "most" well designed patterns will carve nicely at .25"

If it's any consolation, it took me months to get the carvings I now do. Yep, a lot of designer firewood here.....lol

Hope that helps

Thanks, Chris. I guess I'm in too much of a hurry; and, I'm starting my firewood pile, too. :)

ChrisAlb
08-06-2008, 07:05 AM
Aren't we all buddy. I beat my head against the desk a lot wondering what the heck I was doing wrong...:confused:....lol

You probably already know this but be sure to always look at your designs from many steep angles in Designer. It really helps you to get an idea of height and depth relationships to the board. It will also show you the dreaded "Peaks & Valleys" you get with a lot of imported images that haven't been professionally designed for use with the CW.

I've posted a lot about using graphics so some searching in here will most likely yield some info as well.

mtylerfl
08-06-2008, 08:47 AM

Thanks,

Hello Rocky,

Patterns/carvings made directly from imported graphics are not going to have much depth or relief to them - that's why you're not experiencing the quality you are seeking. It's not you...it's the "flat graphics" you're using.

Of course, there are many sources for professionally made patterns that are specifically designed as true 3D reliefs and will yield a much higher quality result. Those will probably be much more satisfying for you.

Try creating a layout using some of the patterns that are already included free with your Designer software - you'll see a marked difference between the "full-relief" carving quality vs. the "imported graphic" carve quality.

You may also want to consider buying a Scanning Probe. You can make an unlimited number of patterns using this device by scanning items you have around the house, or from garage sales, dollar stores, etc. It's an economical way to "stock up" your own pattern library very easily.

Some folks are even having a degree of success manipulating graphics on their own with standard photo editing programs (using greyscale painting, blurring, etc.) to achieve a "homemade" relief pattern - and many are actually quite good at it. You can search the forum for more info on pattern creation.

AskBud
08-06-2008, 08:47 AM
Rocky,
If you have not do so, check out the Tips & Tutorials about CarveWright operations and design.
My link, below, has lots of links to various sites.
AskBud

mtylerfl
08-06-2008, 10:21 AM
Rocky,
If you have not do so, check out the Tips & Tutorials about CarveWright operations and design.
My link, below, has lots of links to various sites.
AskBud

Excellent links, Bud!