PDA

View Full Version : Do you miss 'real' hardware stores?

Jeff_Birt
08-04-2008, 09:30 PM
Maybe it's just me; maybe I'm the only one. I went to our local Lowe's yesterday to purchase a 'J'-roller. Being a logical sort of fellow I figured that a tool would be found in the tool department. We'll after searching all the aisles twice and finding the only employee around (who was covering tools and hardware) was already tied up; I went back to where the edge laminate is sold; no dice in either place.

So I head back up to tools, and look some more until the one lone employee is free. I ask him about a 'J'-roller. He has no clue what I'm talking about, so I explain what it looks like and what it is used for. He suggest trying flooring. So....off trod to flooring, I see nothing there either. I walk back towards paint and run into to female employees and ask them about the elusive 'J'-roller. I get the same blank look and have to go through the whole explanation again. One of them says, "Oh, a plastic roller!" and directs me to the back corner of one aisle where I find a carpet seam roller, which of course is not a 'J'-roller.

I walk back towards hardware and find actual flooring department personnel, of course I have to go through the same song and dance as he has no clue either. But, at least he knows who to ask, "Let's go talk to Bob in the mill-work department!", he says. So we walk over and talk to Bob who actually knows what a 'J'-roller is! But, he has no idea where they might be. He sends me over to the cabinet department.

Off to cabinets I go, when I arrived I find one employee and three people waiting to talk to them. So, I think to myself, "It can't be that hard to find it if it's over here." I walk around each aisle and am just about to give up, after all I have spent 20 minutes walking all over the bloody store, when I see that there is a hidden aisle back behind a cabinet display. I give it a try and lo-and-behold, in the very back corner of the store (no kidding), I find a 'J'-roller, which says 'J'-roller right on the %^&#$ package.

So, I have to question if we have really advanced by moving towards the big box store. I miss going into a 'real' hardware store that employed folks that actually knew all about what they were selling. When I lived down around Springfield, MO, there were a few good hardware stores left there. In our little town of Rolla we have the choice of two nearly equally poor establishments.

So, the question remains; Is it just me? Am I the only person who has had it with the big-box stores employing folks who are mostly ignorant of their job? Note: not every large chain is seems to suffer from the same fate, I have found O'Rielly auto parts stores to always be quite helpful. To be clear, I'm not wanting to start a tirade of complaints against the big-box stores with crappy service, rather I would like to offer an observation.

It seems to me that I as an individual can have the most effect by voting with my wallet. So, given comparable prices I will choose to shop at the supplier who offers the best customer service.

Now in case you are wondering what the heck this all has to do with the CW; I was buying a 'J'-roller to apply a carving mask (clear Contac shelf paper) to a board. The good news is that the 'J'-roller does a good job sealing it down.

After applying the shelf paper to both side of the board and applying painters tape to the tracker roller contact area, I tried measuring the board to see how the machine did at feeding the board through. It looked like it did a good job but the measurements didn't match my tape measure. After 4 tries on the machine produced the same readings, I grabbed a metal yard stick and measured the board. The machine had measured it right, time for a new tape measure; but it won't be from Lowe's...

liquidguitars
08-04-2008, 09:44 PM
I grabbed a metal yard stick and measured the board. The machine had measured it right, time for a new tape measure; but it won't be from Lowe's...

:)

We are in a smaller town and have some good mom and pop hardware stores.. ones a "Ace hardware store" but the owner stocks just about anything!

LG

rjusty
08-04-2008, 10:01 PM
You're not alone, Jeff. Although I'm still a little south of 50, I remember going to a lot of them with my Dad - wooden floors, hardware in bins, and parts to fix almost anything. Although sometimes the part was in a box on the top shelf, and a little dusty. Whether you knew what you needed or not, the guy behind the counter did. :)

I guess I should count myself as lucky. There are enough retired trades workers down here that the local HD and Lowes have a few knowledgeable old guys. We had an Ace about .75 mi from my house with staff from the old school. I was there all the time. They lasted almost a year. The bigger the "big-boxes" get, the harder it is for anyone else to compete.

Deolman
08-05-2008, 12:58 AM
Yup, got the same problem here. It seems like some of the younger generation doesn't seem to care. That's probably what the older generation said about my generation.

Eagle Hollow
08-05-2008, 07:18 AM
Jeff,

Same problem here and most other places I've been. The big boxes are never headquartered in your town...they don't care about your town EXCEPT for the profits they can send back home. They maximize profits paying minimum wages to unknowlegeable employees who are on the job ONLY for a paycheck. I find so often that service is preformed begrudgeonly.

But, all that said, we have three ACE Hardware stores here and all have a bunch of old geezers (that's a compliment) that are experienced and, knowlegeable and possess enough wisdom to use it.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it...end of rave.

ChrisAlb
08-05-2008, 07:37 AM
I go to places like Lowe's and Home Depot for only one thing, WOOD! I like the fact that it's kept indoors. I like Lowe's because they have a nice selection of glued up panels (saves me from doing it to get up to 24" wide), from paint to stain grades.

But most of all I like going to these places because the only employees I need there are the CHECK OUT PEOPLE. Judgment on their performance is still in the works but not too good so far!

Kenm810
08-05-2008, 09:19 AM
I do use the big box stores on occasion but not often: I have two Lowe’s plus two Home Depot’s, Within 4 to 6 Miles from me.
Also a Rockler Store 7 miles and a WoodCraft Store 5 miles me.
And a Great Dutch Family owned Lumber Yard and Mill just 2 miles from the end of my drive way.
Best of all I have a 3rd Generation Family owned Hardware less than 1 mile from me.
Every one is on a first name basics, and I been dealing with them for over 38 years.
They have deliveries to their store every Tuesdays and Thursdays, and they will order anything you need,
supplies, tools, parts, what ever and have it with a couple of days.
A few months I made a couple simple little Centerline pine signs for them reading,

If You Need It We Have It
If We Don’t Have It
We’ll Get It for You

The owner offered to pay me for them, and I said no,
He said ok than, and instructed his 2 Clerks, that when ever I come,
I get a free a Coffee or Soda on the house for the rest of the year.

Yep I’m Spoiled http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_cool.gif

Oh Ps. Almost forgot yes they do have "J" Rollers

cnsranch
08-05-2008, 09:26 AM
Jeff

The results you're gonna get from using that J Roller will make the hassle worth it.

Happy Rolling :mrgreen:

castingman
08-05-2008, 09:31 AM
cnsranch,

How do you get the sticky crap off ? I had a hella of time getting the tape off !

Michael :confused:

cnsranch
08-05-2008, 09:52 AM
Michael -

Most are talking about using some kind of plastic sheeting (contact paper?).

My first try was with self-stick shelf paper - not good - doesn't self-stick well enough.

Couldn't find the stuff all were talking about, but I did have some packing tape lying around, so I thought I'd give it a try - worked great. 10 times better, though, when I used the J Roller to get it good and "tight" (Thanks, again, DigitalWoodShop)

I've been using 2" packing tape, the cheap 3m stuff from Wal-Mart or Home Depot, etc. Overlap by a tad - 1/16"

Pulled right off after carving and then spray-painting, no sticky left.

The last project, however, I taped the entire board, too lazy to leave the board un-taped where there were carvings (most concerned with where c'line text was going). The carving bit does generate a bit of heat at the tip, so the tape would tend to gum up the tip somewhat - not bad, but still there. Stopping the carve a couple of times, and tugging on the tip pulled the sticky off.

I started a thread last week with some pics of my last project showing the taping, etc., but I don't know how to add a link here to it.

Let me know if this answers your question, I'm happy to help in any way.

Regards

pkunk
08-05-2008, 10:16 AM
I'm very fortunate that the nearest big box is over 2 hours away. Even my local Ace is a 16 mile round trip, & although they usually have almost anything I need and can tell me where it is, with the price of gas what it is I usually order online. I very seldom need something today and have suppliers that deliver everything from wood to hardware either once a week on their trucks or by UPS right to my shop.
I have 2 j-rollers. Had I known you needed one, Jeff, I would have sent it to you.:)

Jeff_Birt
08-05-2008, 03:06 PM
I'm glad that a lot of you guys have reputable suppliers near you. It's great to know that some still exist. Here is hoping that one opens up around here...

Ken Massingale
08-05-2008, 03:53 PM
While I share the frustration with the Borgs, I try to remember that the employees are just employees. They are not trained in specialty areas, and usually don't work in the same areas for extended periods of time.
On a WW forum that I used to participate in a lot one of the members was a big critic of Lowes and Home Depot. He had a high position and salary in a high tech company.
Well, a few years ago his company suddenly folded and he was unable to find a job in his field at any salary. Many months went by and he found himself where he had to work anywhere he could find any job.
So now for a few years he is one of the Borg employees that we complain about.

I'm just trying to say that these are folks just like most of us who need to work. If each area of Lowes and HD had highly trained employees we'd be griping about the prices being raised due to the higher pay for those employees.

I'm off my soap box now... :-)

atauer
08-05-2008, 04:07 PM
I used to work for those big box companies a while ago, (Wal-Mart). I was never working the same area each night. So I made it part of my job to learn everything I could about the different areas I wound up working. Yeah, Deolman, it does seem like that the younger generation doesn't care, but as a member of the younger generation I can honestly say that some of us do care, but we are few and far between. Its hard finding a borg at the big box companies that do care, but there are a few out there.

STEAM
08-05-2008, 05:39 PM
We still have a bonafide hardware store in town. It is a true Mom and Pop operation. I buy as much as I can there to support a local business and also it's nice to go in , ask for something , and not get a blank stare as an answer. Luckily, they are doing pretty good and are actually expanding. Even with a HD just outside of town, the hardware store holds their own.

Jeff_Birt
08-05-2008, 07:48 PM
While I share the frustration with the Borgs, I try to remember that the employees are just employees. They are not trained in specialty areas, and usually don't work in the same areas for extended periods of time.

Well that is the problem in a nut shell. Any companies greatest asset is its employees. It is in their best long-term interest to provide proper training and a positive work environment. The flip side is that employees have an obligation to learn as much about their job as they can (as Alex said), and put in the best days work possible.

fwharris
08-05-2008, 09:16 PM
I have both big boxes HD and Lowe's.

My experience with HD is either you can not find anyone to help you or they are no help at all Plus with in a year of HD opening there big box 2 of the locally owned lumber yards closed their doors.

Lowe's open about 2 years ago and their staff has been more than available and helpful. If the person could not help me they would track down someone who could. I use Lowe's about 99% of the time.

Both of the big boxes are within 2 miles of me and each other.

I guess that is why they call it " The Good Old Days". Just to bad we have to call it Old.

Now for the locally owned hardware supplies I still do have the good old ACE store about 7 miles away. The owners are the grandsons of what used to be the towns hardware supply store. They are now in their 50s and grew up in their grandpa's business. They know their business and will go out of their way to find what you need and if the do not have it they will get it. They have everything from farm and ranch, garden supply, regular ACE items, wood stoves and even a firearms/hunting section. They also offer to their long time customers an automatic 10% discount. Down fall is they do not do very much wood....

Woodman
08-06-2008, 02:40 AM
Having spent my whole life in one service industry or another, I miss going to a store and having knowledgeable people give me sound advice on my purchases. Understand that I am not fond of huge corporations anymore who staff their businesses with cheap dumb help because they think they're doing their bottom line a favor, hence my dissatisfaction with companies that outsource their tech help to other countries. I'm with FWHarris on this one. . . Pete

Don Butler
08-06-2008, 07:39 AM
Sad to say, the 'Mom and Pop' hardware store in our little country town is worse than the big stores up the road.

But I have a way to test the people I'm talking to if I think they may not have a clue. I ask them this question:
"I'm looking for cold water heaters"
Most often they'll say they know where the hot water heaters are. Then I ask:
"Why would I heat HOT water? I want one that heats the COLD water"
If they have any idea of what happens in a retail store, if they 'get it', they'll laugh and direct me to the 'water heaters".
If they shake their heads and walk away, they either have contempt for my little joke or they really don't have a clue. Either way, I need to find someone who cares and can help. I have often gone to the store manager and asked for help in whatever situation I'm working.

Ignorance is a sad situation, but it can be overcome by learning. Being a jerk is often a permanant condition.

Best regards,

Don

Don Butler
08-06-2008, 07:47 AM
Sad to say, the 'Mom and Pop' hardware store in our little country town is worse than the big stores up the road.

But I have a way to test the people I'm talking to if I think they may not have a clue. I ask them this question:
"I'm looking for cold water heaters"
Most often they'll say they know where the hot water heaters are. Then I ask:
"Why would I heat HOT water? I want one that heats the COLD water"
If they have any idea of what happens in a retail store, if they 'get it', they'll laugh and direct me to the 'water heaters".
If they shake their heads and walk away, they either have contempt for my little joke or they really don't have a clue. Either way, I need to find someone who cares and can help. I have often gone to the store manager and asked for help in whatever situation I'm working.

Ignorance is a sad situation, but it can be overcome by learning. Being a jerk is often a permanant condition.

Best regards,

Don

atauer
08-06-2008, 08:59 AM
Well that is the problem in a nut shell. Any companies greatest asset is its employees. It is in their best long-term interest to provide proper training and a positive work environment. The flip side is that employees have an obligation to learn as much about their job as they can (as Alex said), and put in the best days work possible.

I always take it upon myself to learn as much as I can about the areas I am working in. That way, in case someone doesn't show for work, they will at least have someone else who knows the department.

The same goes for here at Carvewright. Within the next couple of weeks, I will be learning the machine side and the sales side of things, instead of just doing software calls. Always trying to better myself by learning new things, no matter how difficult and stressful it gets.

ChrisAlb
08-06-2008, 09:13 AM
I always take it upon myself to learn as much as I can about the areas I am working in. That way, in case someone doesn't show for work, they will at least have someone else who knows the department.

The same goes for here at Carvewright. Within the next couple of weeks, I will be learning the machine side and the sales side of things, instead of just doing software calls. Always trying to better myself by learning new things, no matter how difficult and stressful it gets.

In my younger days, that was the rule and not the exception. Unfortunately all too often it seems that today, it is the exception and not the rule. It's refreshing to hear from younger folks who still believe in the rule of days gone by Alex.

I was brought up on, always have and still believe in a very simple concept. As an employee, or even a sub contractor as I've been from age 15 which is essentially the same thing to the GC, it's my "job" to make you money as effectively and efficiently as possible. If I'm successful, my "hope" is that you'll share more with me......http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif

Doesn't "always" work but I won't change my beliefs because of it.

atauer
08-06-2008, 11:08 AM
It great to get the respect of the older generation. Makes a person feel good about themselves. I grew up working with my grandfather. Nothing major was ever just given to me. I either had to work for what I wanted or go without it. I guess that's one of the reasons that I am the way that I am. The younger generation is getting spoiled and its gonna bite most of them in the rear in the long run.

cnsranch
08-06-2008, 11:41 AM
Hey, Chris -

How does it feel to be a part of the "older generation"? :mrgreen:

ChrisAlb
08-06-2008, 11:52 AM
Feels good CNS. Especially when I see hope for the younger ones...http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif...lol

Besides, like Oldjoe's (I'm pretty sure) signature says....

"Growing old is a privilege not everyone gets to enjoy".

cnsranch
08-06-2008, 12:00 PM
My problem is, I bet I got you by a few years, and I don't feel any older than I did when I was 20 (course, some things don't work as well as they used to, and I think about some things real hard 'fore I do 'em) - so, if I'm right, and your an old fart, what's that make me? (that question was rhetorical, I DO NOT want an answer to it) :p

ChrisAlb
08-06-2008, 12:08 PM
CHICKEN!!!! ....:p....lol

I still feel 18 too buddy and I know what you speak of about the "parts"....lol

But when I get on my bike....http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif....., even that fades away...(some)...lol

supershingler
08-06-2008, 12:16 PM
cn

that must put in the "experienced beyond belief" catagory lol

the way i look at it if you got gray hair it just used up knowledge that is leaving you body by the shortest route.

happy carving

kendall

ChrisAlb
08-06-2008, 12:22 PM
Yea, and loosing your hair is because your brain is so big with smarts it's choking out the roots....http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif

Kenm810
08-06-2008, 12:26 PM
Hmmm --- I think I remember -- Gray Hair

castingman
08-06-2008, 12:28 PM
Yea,

Me too but mine's chrome !

atauer
08-06-2008, 12:31 PM
Yea, and loosing your hair is because your brain is so big with smarts it's choking out the roots....http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif
I thought hair loss was from work related stress...

I guess i still got some leaning to do. :)

ChrisAlb
08-06-2008, 12:34 PM
I thought hair loss was from work related stress...

I guess i still got some leaning to do. :)

Yep you do because because "Pulling" your hair out don't count.....LOL

supershingler
08-06-2008, 12:39 PM
grampa alway told me bald people just grew above their hairline

atauer
08-06-2008, 03:41 PM

You mean that DOESN'T count?????

Gary Koval
08-06-2008, 06:14 PM
God is good, God is fair, some he gave brains, and the rest hair!!!

cnsranch
08-07-2008, 09:25 AM
That shiny spot on top isn't from losing your hair, it's caused by break dancing on concrete.

ChrisAlb
08-07-2008, 09:38 AM
You mean that DOESN'T count?????

Nope. Sorry guy......http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon9.gif....., It has to fall out on it's own to be an official member of the "Too Many Brains For Roots" Club.....http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif

atauer
08-07-2008, 10:05 AM
That shiny spot on top isn't from losing your hair, it's caused by break dancing on concrete.

That would explain the continuous headaches I've been having.

:P

jspringertx
08-11-2008, 07:59 AM
I completely agree with you Jeff. I have spent hours looking for something at a big box store only to learn that no one knew what I was talking about.

I worked at a full line hardware store during my senior year in high school. I can remember several requests that even I couldn't handle...

1. The woman that was sent to the store to buy a "P" trap. Needless to say she was somewhat hesitant to ask a male clerk for a "P' trap.

2. Another woman when asked what she wanted responded with "I want a screw". She realized what she asked for and turned red.

3. Another request that we had many times was the woman that was sent by her husband to buy a piece of glass for a broken window. Her response was "It is just a standard size window".

4. We didn't handle "J" rollers as we had reserved the space for left-handed monkey wrenches.

Kenm810
08-11-2008, 09:20 AM
jspringertx,

May I add one to your list,
When I was a teenager, many --- many years ago. My family owned a Wholesale Plumbing and Heating supply company,
and while working the sales counter for several years I often ran into the requests you listed.

5. A young woman was sent by her husband with instructions of what to get, --- and after several minutes of hemming and hawing, She finally blurted out the her husband was having a problem at home and needed a new 12" Ballcock assemble right away!
In her rush to the sales counter she hadn't noticed the 3 or 4 seasoned trades men by the coffee machine behind her.
Poor Dear, there where several smiles and chuckles at her expense that day.

jspringertx
08-11-2008, 05:00 PM
I remember one of our favorite customers (Mooney Warther, a famous carver) that came to our hardware store and always bought files. Everyone hid when he came in as he was so loud and I was stuck waiting on him.

We had our files in a cabinet, in boxes, and sold them by the each. I asked him if he wanted a mill file and he told me that he wanted one of the bastards over there. He then laughed, paid for the bastard file, and left the store.

He also asked me how many points does a good brick need? I hesitated while I counted the corners and he blurted out that if it was a good brick it wouldn't need any corners...it already had them. He then laughed loudly at my ignorance, hopped on his bicycle and rode off into the sunset.

He was one of the many memories I had of an "old fashioned" hardware store....how I miss them.

Oliver Lande
08-11-2008, 05:06 PM
to add my own little "horror story".

I use our local big box (Menards) as well as the Home Depot's (3 within 5 miles of my home) and Lowes.

My problem with Lowes is that they do not stock maple boards. They can get it in a week, but then the quality would be their choice not mine. As far as their customer service, I head immediately to the oldest employee I can find. They seem to always have time to help me with inquiries or problems.

Then there is the HD - No one will ever be able to mention them to me without bringing up the memory of my last experience. I wanted to check out zero clearance inserts for my Rigid table saw. (Everyone knows they are related, right?) I talked to a guy in the tool department but since they don't stock a saw as large as mine (portables only) he sent me up to the customer service desk. THERE WERE SIX EMPLOYEES STANDING NEXT TO THE DESK "SMOKIN AND JOKIN", I had to get tired of waiting and then ASK for their help. Eighteen year old "Bobby" comes over, I explain the problem and he just gives me the "dumb look". So I have to TELL him to look in the computer! Can't find it says Bobby! - Look Harder says I - Try a catalogue!
Bobby looks through the catalogue. Fifteen minutes have gone by, I'm ready to climb over the counter, there are still 5 employee standing around the front door. Bobby snags an older guy who is strolling by, I tell the guy what I am looking for - he grabs an accessary catalog of Rigid tools - HE THROWS IT AT BOBBY AND SAYS "LOOK IN HERE", then walks off.

At that point so did I ----- I got home - got an email off to Home Depot, they followed up with a phone call to me and said they were going to give me a 30 dollar gift certificate for my trouble. They also asked if I had talked to the store manager, I said keep the gift certificate and I hadn't called the manager and wouldn't call the manager since he is the one who hired the Yahoo's.

My wife (over my STONGEST objections) drug me in there 2 weeks later to look at some blinds she wanted to buy. Guess what? not a single employee under the age of 30 and EVERY SINGLE ONE of them was busy.

Oh - yeah - I made 4 new inserts in less time than it took to dance with Bobby!

John
08-11-2008, 06:46 PM
Maybe it's just me; maybe I'm the only one. I went to our local Lowe's yesterday to purchase a 'J'-roller. Being a logical sort of fellow I figured that a tool would be found in the tool department.

If the tools to paint with are in the paint dept., the electrical tools are in the electrical dept., the cement tools are with the cement., the drywall tools are with the drywall, the gardening tools are in the garden dept., plumbing tools with plumbing supplies, why wouldn't you expect the J-Roller to be in the cabinet dept, near adhesives and laminate stock?

As for the old time hardware stores. We have a few and I rarely go there. They have very high prices, are so poorly laid out you have to ask where something is, and the employees are average at best. If you need a dozen 90 ell's they will have no more than 11. The big box stores here are laid out well. I can generally find what I need on my own in a timely fashion. AND their prices blow away the old time HW stores. YMMV

Kenm810
08-11-2008, 06:59 PM
Here’s a true story of an Old Time Hardware Store.
I was born in a small town called Calumet in the copper mining area of the Keweenaw Peninsula; we had a General Store a few blocks from our house, it was our Hardware store, our Grocery Store, our Gas Station, and our Department store all rolled into one. If you need something, -- They had it, if they didn’t have it, -- you did without. My Dad had been a Lumber Jack since the time of the Depression's CCC Camps in upper Michigan, and did odd jobs on the side. When I was about 8 years old, my Dad had cut and delivered to the Widow Woman that lived across the street her winter supply of wood (no one could afford Coal back then) He told me she needed her winter wood stacked in basement and in shed behind her house, he said she didn’t have any money to pay me. But if I stacked the wood she would give me one of the puppies that her rust red colored Cocker Spaniel was expecting in a few weeks. He also said the dog would be my reasonability and that I had to feed it, clean up after it and walk it every day. I agreed!! We didn’t have toys and frills for pets back then. I didn’t even have money for a collar or leash, but somehow I managed to save up 12 cents. So off to the General Store I went, I asked the Gabby Hayes looking clerk for a piece of rope, He asked me how long did I want it. I answered – forever Sir I really don’t plan to bring it back. He stood there looking down at me for a moment, then smiled and said no – how much rope do you need. I opened my hand and showed him my 2 nickels and 2 pennies, and answered – that much Sir, I need it to walk my new dog. He smiled again and cut off a 5ft piece of ¼” rope off the reel. Then show me how to tie a loop at both ends and how to use it so I wouldn't choke my new puppy. I handed him my 12 cents and thanked him and headed towards the door. Before I got to the end of the counter, the clerk’s wife who had been listing to our conversation stopped me and handed two small brown paper bags and said they were for me and my puppy. I hurried home to see what in the small bags, the first had a small ham bone for my puppy, the second had 6 pieces of sugar candy, 2 nickels and 2 pennies.

Rusty - My Little red Cocker Spaniel was my ever faithful companion for 15 years.
After nearly 60 years I’ve never forgotten him or the kind folks at the General Store.

And I still use the same answer today when any one asks me how long do I want it.
(Forever -- I really don’t plan to bring it back)

Jvicaretti
08-11-2008, 08:46 PM
We are lucky enough to have a small privately owned hardware store in the town I live in. While they don't have a large assortment of hardwood when it comes to tools, electrical fixtures, plumbing fixtures, animal feed etc., etc. they have it all. And the woman who works there full time knows where everything is and even what it is used for. The prices are a bit higher but it is a trade off.
It is a pleasure to shop there.

Jeff_Birt
08-11-2008, 09:44 PM
why wouldn't you expect the J-Roller to be in the cabinet dept, near adhesives and laminate stock?

Fair question, guessed you skipped over the very next sentence...

We'll after searching all the aisles twice and finding the only employee around (who was covering tools and hardware) was already tied up; I went back to where the edge laminate is sold; no dice in either place.

Even if I had zero idea where to find something at one employee in the whole blasted place should have had a clue. But, again I am willing to admit it might just be me. When my daughter was little I went to Wally-World to pick up some crayons and a coloring book. I found the crayons in the kids section right with the little kids books and similar items. The coloring books however were on the opposite side of the store in stationary! Go figure that logic:confused:

In reading all the great stories in this thread it reminded me of something that happened to a sister of mine. We never had a lot when I was growing up. The first TV I can remember us having was an old BW set that Dad scrounged up and got working. It had a bad part that was no longer available. The part was a fusistor, basically a fuse with a small amount of resistance. Dad somehow surmised that the resistance of the bad part was equivalent to a 200W light bulb, so he wired in a ceramic socket in the back of the set and installed the 200W bulb. When ever you turned on teh TV you also had a backlight!

When one of my older sisters moved out on her own my folks gave her the old TV as by that time we were living large with a color set. My sister had the TV for a few months and the 200W bulb went out. So, she goes down to Loveland lumber our local lumber yard and HW store, in our huge town of North Lewisburg, Ohio (perhaps 2500 folks at that time). She tells the clerks, "I'm looking for one of those big light bulbs that go in the back of the TV." I think she just about got laughed out of the store. She was quite embarrassed to ask Dad what part she needed for the TV. I mean, as far as all us kids knew all TVs had a big lightbulb in the back. :)

fyrpuppy
08-12-2008, 03:41 AM

I'm not losing my hair, I am just folically challenged!!!:rolleyes:

Don Butler
08-12-2008, 07:54 AM
These stores, as a general rule, will not have a J roller because of several reasons. Speaking from my experience as a buyer in several large merchandising companies, They are apt to think of a J roller (if the buyer even knows what it is) as something better suited for an art supply house.

By the way, that's where to go for a J roller.

Another reason is lack of demand. Now that doesn't mean you haven't been asking for it. But your asking goes nowhere. Responsible store employees will relay requests for items not carried so the buyers and manager know of the demand. Sadly, the attitude of store clerks in these places goes something like this:

"They don't pay me to do that. All I want is sundown and payday."

And when I say 'art supply' I don't mean places like craft supply stores. Michael's and A.C.Moore's don't cater to serious artists except for a nice line of expensive brushes. A store that specializes in real art supplies will have it and know they have it. I think that your best shot at getting a quality J roller is through an Internet Art Supply place. Try Dick Blick for a place to start. Search with the phrase "art supply". You'll find dozens of places.

Better yet, try searching for "J roller"! I did and found that Rockler carries a good one. With the cost of gas and the inconvenience of trying to find someone who even KNOWS what a J roller is, it will probably save money, time and frazzled nerves to simply go on line or call their toll-free number and just have then send one.

Just yesterday, I innocently went into Lowes thinking I could buy a few half-pint cans of brightly colored paints for my latest carving.

HAH! I finally found them in a store I originally thought to be unlikely to have them, a sort of second rate Lowes or Home Depot, and they had them. Apparently the big box stores feel that such two-bit items aren't worth their time.

<rant mode off>

TTFN!

Don

Audie
08-12-2008, 10:26 AM
Here’s a true story of an Old Time Hardware Store.
I was born in a small town called Calumet in the copper mining area of the Keweenaw Peninsula; we had a General Store a few blocks from our house, it was our Hardware store, our Grocery Store, our Gas Station, and our Department store all rolled into one. If you need something, -- They had it, if they didn’t have it, -- you did without. My Dad had been a Lumber Jack since the time of the Depression's CCC Camps in upper Michigan, and did odd jobs on the side. When I was about 8 years old, my Dad had cut and delivered to the Widow Woman that lived across the street her winter supply of wood (no one could afford Coal back then) He told me she needed her winter wood stacked in basement and in shed behind her house, he said she didn’t have any money to pay me. But if I stacked the wood she would give me one of the puppies that her rust red colored Cocker Spaniel was expecting in a few weeks. He also said the dog would be my reasonability and that I had to feed it, clean up after it and walk it every day. I agreed!! We didn’t have toys and frills for pets back then. I didn’t even have money for a collar or leash, but somehow I managed to save up 12 cents. So off to the General Store I went, I asked the Gabby Hayes looking clerk for a piece of rope, He asked me how long did I want it. I answered – forever Sir I really don’t plan to bring it back. He stood there looking down at me for a moment, then smiled and said no – how much rope do you need. I opened my hand and showed him my 2 nickels and 2 pennies, and answered – that much Sir, I need it to walk my new dog. He smiled again and cut off a 5ft piece of ¼” rope off the reel. Then show me how to tie a loop at both ends and how to use it so I would choke my new puppy. I handed him my 12 cents and thanked him and headed towards the door. Before I got to the end of the counter, the clerk’s wife who had been listing to our conversation stopped me and handed two small brown paper bags and said they were for me and my puppy. I hurried home to see what in the small bags, the first had a small ham bone for my puppy, the second had 6 pieces of sugar candy, 2 nickels and 2 pennies.

Rusty - My Little red Cocker Spaniel was my ever faithful companion for 15 years.
After nearly 60 years I’ve never forgotten him or the kind folks at the General Store.

And I still use the same answer today when any one asks me how long do I want it.
(Forever -- I really don’t plan to bring it back)

Dang Ken, what a great story! Thank you for sharing that!