PDA

View Full Version : Hello I have a Question before I buy

flemingswoodworks
08-04-2008, 05:57 PM
Hello. I am about to buy a carvewright and my wife has said I can purchace one other item with it it's a choice between the scanning probe and the full carving bit set...what whould everyone suggest between the two ..or would you suggest something else
Thanks for the help
Will

jackssib1
08-04-2008, 06:11 PM
1 order,,,thats only 1..
Jack

supershingler
08-04-2008, 06:16 PM
i make more use of the bits than the scaning probe

if i had a choice between them i would take the bits and twist her arm to let you get the centerline text also you wont be dissappointed

welcome to the forumm

happy carving

kendall

aparks
08-04-2008, 06:35 PM
My priorities would be: 1: Centerline Text 2:Probe

Outside of the two bits that come with the machine other functions can be done with an ordinary router much faster and easier, IMO.

Allen

newcarver
08-04-2008, 06:36 PM
Centerline text and the bits will get you going, the probe is nice but the bits and centerline will give you tons more options.

TerryT
08-04-2008, 07:24 PM
Centerline text is almost mandatory if your gonna do signs and plaques.

mtylerfl
08-04-2008, 10:41 PM
Hello. I am about to buy a carvewright and my wife has said I can purchace one other item with it it's a choice between the scanning probe and the full carving bit set...what whould everyone suggest between the two ..or would you suggest something else
Thanks for the help
Will

If it's really a choice between the two - I would certainly get the 3D Scanning Probe first, before the Bit Set. You'll have a GREAT time making your own patterns from the items you scan, PLUS you'll get the Pattern Editor software as a bonus with the Probe. (The Pattern Editor is $199.99 if purchased separately, but is included with the Probe.)

If you plan on doing a lot of sign work, you'll appreciate the Centerline add-on and you'll need a V-bit or two to use it. I bought the Centerline add-on and two V-bits (60° and 90°), but have never really needed the other decorative bits thus far. (Mainly because I already have a separate router I could use for decorative edge routing when necessary - it's quicker to do it that way too.)

jcorder
08-04-2008, 10:46 PM
I thought about starting on a budget, but once I began researching and talking to potential customers that I would be working with, I soon figured out that I would be handicapping myself if I did not go ahead and purchase the entire set of bits and the probe at the same time. The price that The Little Red Woodshop is offering for everything is a real bargain. I wish I would have checked with them when I made my purchase!

Good luck
Jeff

LittleRedWoodshop
08-04-2008, 11:11 PM
Please check out store.LittleRedWoodshop.com and you may find that you can afford to do all of the above.

$2299.99 for the Machine, Scanning Probe and the Bit Set. FREE SHIPPING

Then you can purchase the Centerline Text from LHR for $100.

Meaning that everything will cost $2399.99

As for having to make a choice that would be the bit set, in my opinion, but it is almost necessary to have the Centerline program for the bits to be any fun at all.

Good luck in your decision... if you have any questions feel free to call.

LittleRedWoodshop
08-04-2008, 11:22 PM
Scanning Probe and Bit Set $249.99 each . . . . plus $12 SHIPPING.

Rocky
08-05-2008, 06:21 AM
I'm just a "rookie" with CW, but with my very limited experience, I'd recommend buying Centerline.

flemingswoodworks
08-05-2008, 06:48 AM
Thank You everyone for your input it's been a big help
Will

woodchipsltd
08-05-2008, 10:24 PM
Will,

If you haven't purchased your machine yet, I'd strongly recommend Jason Allen and The Little Red Wood Shop. I spent over a year researching the machine and the various folks that sell it. Mr. Allen was the ONLY one that new much about the machine and the software.

Good luck and welcome to the wonderful world of computer carving!

PS: I'm not getting a kick back from Jason to send customers his direction either!!

:)

Woodman
08-06-2008, 02:35 AM
It all depends on what you want to do with your machine, eh? Myself, I sculpt but I am very slow in what I make. I bought the scanning probe because it should enable me to make something in clay and the machine should be able to carve it in hardwood, thereby saving me months of time. I also bought the bit set because I wanted to have a full range of capabilities with the machine. I bought Corel Draw because I wanted to have it's abilities in various aspects of sign making. I had Print Master already and it's inexpensive, easy to use and was a piece of software I already was familiar with. If you want to create your own sculpture, I think the probe is vital to have. Since I don't have the Centerline text, it's hard for me to justify it with all the other software I already have but that's just me. I might add it later on. I also spent 200 bucks on a dust collector system because I was pretty sure it was a smart move. I highly recommend you making a downdraft system for your machine. You can get these machines on ebay or elsewhere. That was my logic in how I spent my money. . . Good luck with your machine! Pete

jerrbitt
08-07-2008, 12:56 PM
Centerline text, probe in that order my thought and then the bits and the latter only if you do not have a router. Sure the CW can do what your router can but at the cost of considerable time.

I can rout an edge on a sign measuring 12"x7" in less than five minutes. The CW will take considerably longer plus more wear and tear on the machine.

flemingswoodworks
08-07-2008, 07:54 PM
Thanks everyone...I picked up a Compucarve with the scanning probe,
60 v-groove bit,90 v-groove bit, and the Centerline Text..I do have a router
and some bits for edges. Thanks again for everyones input it helped .

mtylerfl
08-07-2008, 10:15 PM
Thanks everyone...I picked up a Compucarve with the scanning probe,
60 v-groove bit,90 v-groove bit, and the Centerline Text..I do have a router
and some bits for edges. Thanks again for everyones input it helped .

Congrats! You're going to have a GREAT time with your new setup!

Be sure to gear up for using your new machine by downloading all the Tips & Tricks issues. Particularly the Dec '07 and Jan '08 issues.

Also, there is a Scanning Probe video you might enjoy at the CarveBuddy website in the Learning Center.