PDA

View Full Version : Cocking the QC

Rocky
08-04-2008, 08:10 AM
In the manual it mentions that to insert a bit one lifts and "cocks" the QC in the open position. By "cocking", I interpret that to mean that the chuck stays in the "open" position until a bit is inserted and then it snaps closed when you insert the bit securing the bit. Is this correct? My QC locking mechanism moves up and down when I "squeeze" it, but I can't get it to "****". Am I missing something here?

Thanks,

Kenm810
08-04-2008, 08:24 AM
Rocky,

I've had three different QC Chucks on my Machine in the last couple years,
and none have locked in the up position, (I'm sure others do)
It's never bothered me or my carvings.

MikeMcCoy
08-04-2008, 08:27 AM
Same here - two machines and neither have ever locked in the up position.

Rocky
08-04-2008, 08:30 AM
Same here - two machines and neither have ever locked in the up position.

Does that mean that the QC is defective or is the manual wrong....or both? :-(

Thanks for responding.

FINGERS
08-04-2008, 08:31 AM
The chuck is spring loaded !

bjbethke
08-04-2008, 10:28 AM
The QC is in the cocked position when the ball bearings are released, both of my QC’s lock in the open position. It frees the balls and allows the adapter to be placed in the QC.

You still need to push up on the QC to install the adapter and it should snap in place and then lock the adapter when released. (Red lines, lined up)

Kenm810
08-04-2008, 10:46 AM
This might help, here's my backup QC Chuck, it is Spring loaded as FINGERS was saying.
Looking down form above the machine you can lock it in the open position by rotating the QC Chucks collar
about 1/8 turn clock wise as you lift up on the collar at the same time.
I found that's what I've been doing all along , with out being aware of it -- every time I loaded a Bit.
http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_confused.gif Go Figure!

Wid T
08-04-2008, 11:09 AM
Thanks for the photos......... It says it, like it is.
Wid T

ChrisAlb
08-04-2008, 11:44 AM
I have found with mine that the very process of removing a bit cocks the QC. So when I go to insert a bit, it's already there.

Woodman
08-06-2008, 04:43 AM
One very useful item is a 12" square mirror like I bought at Hobby Lobby for about $7.00 or so. There are two red lines on the QC that must be lined up when you put a bit in and a mirror's the best way to check this. If these two lines aren't lined up very closely then your bit isn't inserted properly or the QC isn't clicked down on the bit properly and this WILL lead to problems. The mirror's also handy when you have to check the board sensor do some work on the machine because it will help keep stuff from falling down inbetween the two rollers into gosh knows where the heck did that dang screw run off to???!!!! Pete

henry1
09-21-2008, 07:05 AM
How Do You Take It Of Qc Holder

Kenm810
09-21-2008, 07:34 AM
henry1,

I did a quick Search -- Key words (Changing Chuck)
and found this thread of posts, plus several more.

Replacing the QC (http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7405&highlight=changing+chuck)