PDA

View Full Version : latest projects

myshop1044
08-03-2008, 07:43 PM
These were inspired by my Grandsons, they are studing the United States
and wanted to save the state quarters and one wanted to save the president dollars coins, sooooo I created the quarter pattern and designed a plaque for the presidents. This one will hold the first four years 2007 to 2010 .
A couple of people have seen the quarter boards and dollar plaques and now want some, I'm not sure what I started.

SandBuoy
08-03-2008, 08:29 PM
Very nice coin boards. I been collecting the President dollars also. Those boards sure sets them off.

fwharris
08-03-2008, 10:53 PM
myshop,

Great looking collector boards and I can see why people would want them. I've been doing the quarter boards for a while and have thought about the dollar boards as well.

Where did you get the pres. seal pattern and what are you dimensions?

SandBuoy
08-03-2008, 11:19 PM
Their changing the edge lettering over to the front starting in 2009. Guess the dies were already made for the 2008 coins. Would be cool to have a board like for the 8 edge letter coins. Yeah that seal is really nice and shows well.

myshop1044
08-04-2008, 12:27 PM
FW
the oval is 9 x 13 and the emblem is one I picked up from the pattern store.
the holes are 22.5 deg apart and 11.25 deg offset from zero.
I have tried diferent stains for effect, but I used finish grade pine.
If you want the file let me know.

Perry

fwharris
08-04-2008, 05:30 PM
FW
the oval is 9 x 13 and the emblem is one I picked up from the pattern store.
the holes are 22.5 deg apart and 11.25 deg offset from zero.
I have tried diferent stains for effect, but I used finish grade pine.
If you want the file let me know.

Perry

Perry,

I thought that was the Pres. Seal. That is what I was looking for. If you bought the pattern you can not post it here on the forum. Thanks for the info though...

Lin
08-04-2008, 07:39 PM
I personally would be tickled if you would post the MPC file minus the purchased pattern...
Lin

myshop1044
08-04-2008, 08:14 PM
I wan't aware the purched pattern was a problem on the forum, learn something new everday. Thanks for the info.
so here are two of my creations.

Perry

mtylerfl
08-04-2008, 10:44 PM
I wan't aware the purched pattern was a problem on the forum, learn something new everday. Thanks for the info.
so here are two of my creations.

Perry

The pattern probably has copy-protection anyway, but just to be safe, one should not post any mpc's that contain commercial patterns.

badger
08-05-2008, 12:39 AM
Nice patterns, Im sure some on here will appreciate you sharing. You might want to mention if you share a pattern whether or not it uses Centerline. Some still havent purchased its use and might get confused when the design does not work for them with the 60 or 90degree bit.

Lin
08-05-2008, 04:37 AM
Perry, Thanks much for posting your Presidents patterns. My son's girlfriend is an avid coin collector and one of these patterns will probably be what he makes her for x-mas.
BTW...If you have not carved the first MPC yet...the word "Presidents" needs to be fixed. The "r" is missing...Just a heads up. Thanks again.
Lin

Jeff_Birt
08-05-2008, 08:34 AM
You can carve a project that has centerline even if you don't have it. You just can't alter the text at all. Of course you still need the correct bits!

myshop1044
08-05-2008, 12:58 PM
Thanks a bunch, I was messing around with different texts and didn't notice,
too bad we don't have spell check in the text editor.
enought said ,on to a new project.
address signs. !!!!!

Perry

Rocky
08-10-2008, 04:46 PM
Lin,

I looked at your custom and religious portraits on your web site. They are really very nice. Would you be willing to share with me, and others, your technique for converting a photo to an mpc.?

Thanks,

Lin
08-10-2008, 09:42 PM
Rocky, The portraits that you saw pics of on my website were cut on a scrollsaw. I can make a scrollsaw pattern from a pic but I myself have not mastered doing a person from a photo on the CW yet. Lithopanes can be carved on the CW and come out awesome. Corian seems to be the material of choice for carving the lithopanes on the CW. I have some 1/4" ivory and white corian I bought on e-bay to try it out for myself but have not found the extra time yet. Type "lithopane" in seach and you will come up with a lot of threads in this forum on info for doing them and pics of ones that the members here have made.
Lin

Rocky
08-11-2008, 03:31 AM
Rocky, The portraits that you saw pics of on my website were cut on a scrollsaw. I can make a scrollsaw pattern from a pic but I myself have not mastered doing a person from a photo on the CW yet. Lithopanes can be carved on the CW and come out awesome. Corian seems to be the material of choice for carving the lithopanes on the CW. I have some 1/4" ivory and white corian I bought on e-bay to try it out for myself but have not found the extra time yet. Type "lithopane" in seach and you will come up with a lot of threads in this forum on info for doing them and pics of ones that the members here have made.
Lin

Lin, thanks for responding. You may not have mastered the photo technique on the CW, but you sure have on the scroll saw. I'd like to learn how to convert a photo to just a series of lines and produce it on a CW like you did on the scroll saw. The lithophane idea interests me, too.

Thanks again,

OKCCarver
10-02-2008, 06:17 PM
Wow...I saw this post and it really got me to thinking....

I have carved soooo many of the US Quarter maps it's not even funny. Seems like all my family and friends want one!!! Anyway, I hadn't even thought about the Presidential Dollars or the First Spouse Dollars or the Commonwealth coins... :mrgreen: So, after seeing myshop1044's creations I just couldn't help putting my spin on it. I haven't carved the attached mpc. This is really the best I could at the moment, but my projects are usually weeks in the making anyway. Alter, go away, come back alter again, go away, come back with better idea, etc. Thought some of you might be able to take this a little farther and come up with something that's even better.

All the text is carved with centerline using the v60. The font is "Olde English". The carve region in the middle is where I was thinking of putting the same seal that myshop1044 used in his project. It's available in the pattern store if you want to "try" it and see what it would look like with the pattern.

All comments, suggestions, criticism, or if you just plain think it's crap and can't resist the urge to say so, are welcome.... :mrgreen: