PDA

View Full Version : Head will not stay level

Ron & Mary
08-03-2008, 03:51 PM
I have look for this problem, must of missed it somewhere. I have readjusted the head of my machine, but it still keeps moving. Where I still have to readjust, by pulling the bottom cover and cross rod at crank end and then adjust. Rod is then reinstalled and cover back on. Within a few cutting the head is starting to go out of alignment. Any Idea or advice.

Tired of Adjusting
Ron :mad:

Woodman
08-03-2008, 04:37 PM
Check the hole where the phillips screw goes into the body of the machine in the bottom. This screw holds the washer which holds the rod against the gear. Is it cracked? If so, I'm pretty sure the rod's not staying in place when you turn the crank. Judicious epoxy is how they fixed mine at CW. Good luck! Pete

Gary Koval
08-03-2008, 07:48 PM
Ron & Mary,
Check out this thread, had the same problem. When I took my apart for the umpteenth time I found as you will see in the pics a problem where the tierod sits.
http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8023
LHR had me send in my machine and I have not gotten it back yet. I don't know how bad Woodman's was, but I think my was in pretty bad shape. Kept skipping teeth- every few times up and down, I had to realign. I hope yours isn't as bad as mine. There are a few good tips in the thread that might help.
Gary

Ike
08-04-2008, 10:42 PM
Same trouble, the post opposite of key pad is cracked I installed longer screw it seemed to hold. Still rough while raising and lowering I think the tierod is slightly bent. If you have done like I have you have cranked it while it wasn't working correctly.

Sounds like you have a stripped post on the opposite side of crank end. If it does not hold it will continue to slip and strip. Maybe it is stripped I have not checked the gears at the tierod, nor main gear.

Will check and please do the same.

Ike

Ron & Mary
08-11-2008, 01:42 AM
I thanks everyone for there inputs into my adjusting head Problems. I will give them a try.

Thanks
Ron :)

tstryk
08-11-2008, 01:32 PM
Just had the same problem and it was the screws holding the cross shaft - I replaced them with larger screws and it is working fine.

jspringertx
08-13-2008, 04:05 PM
I had the same problem and I was mystified as to how to repair it. I took the bottom plate of the unit off and attached another washer that had apparently fallen off at some point of the operation.

The up and down noise has gone away and the travel of the head is much better.

badger
08-13-2008, 07:06 PM
I had the some problem but went away when I sobered up. :)