PDA

View Full Version : Big Bang for the buck

oldjoe
08-03-2008, 12:00 PM
I just spent 2 weeks learning the operation of a $400,000 Laser. And comparing it to a CW the CW is ten times easier and in some ways does more then the laser.
Laser sure it will cut 3/4" steel with no problem but it will need two gases to do it laser gas and O2 or Nitrogen for Stainless. The CW no gas and will cut 1" wood.
The laser does etch but it only has one font. The CW will use any font you can find.
The laser costs $200/hour plus travel time and expences. The CW the cost of round trip to Texas and not sure how much and hour.
The laser has a $550 lens that cannot be touched the CW a $40 bit that you can handle.
The laser only cuts through but it does it using X Y Z A and B axis the CW Carves figures using XY and Z only.
The laser cannot find the edge of the material the CW can and also measure it.
The laser has to be routinely focused and gapped. The CW does not.
The laser software is a lot more complex to use then the CW. Laser requires the use of G and M codes.
So for the money I would much rather have the CW
Just some thoughts on a Sunday while I listen to my CW work.

Kenm810
08-03-2008, 12:49 PM
oldjoe,

Thanks for sharing the Laser information, and how it falls short of my little carving machine.
The house is quite today and as I sit alone in my Den, you've brought a smile to my face.
Thanks Joe