PDA

View Full Version : Pushing the envelope

ChrisAlb
08-02-2008, 07:02 PM
OK, First off. I am NOT recommending that anyone do this. I did this to push the limits of the machine under the new 1.30 firmware for myself at my own risk. Anyone trying this does the same.

I wanted to carve a couple Maltese crosses for a fireman's event that Al and I are attending Sunday night. Only thing is, the only wood I had to work with was just big enough to get a 14 x 14 carving "without" staying under rollers. With all the "cut path" questions arising from the new 1.30 release, I decided to take a shot. It went without a hitch.

A 14 x 14 carve from a 14.25" x 14.25" board. I already knew that the CW won't cut through at the brass roller (it knows better) so that was not a concern. I was concerned about the cut out without being under rollers. Since I'm SURE of the working state of my CW, I pushed on.....lol

Hats off to the programmers for a great job!!!!...http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif

The results:

Woodman
08-02-2008, 07:21 PM
Push the envelope indeed! Words fail me m'friend. Wonderful piece of work and a mastery of the machine I envy. Congradulations! Pete

Rocky
08-02-2008, 08:01 PM
Chris, very nice job. I'm hoping to learn these techniques.

By the way, did you notice that the word "their" is misspelled on the plaque?

liquidguitars
08-02-2008, 08:13 PM
Anyone trying this does the same.

:confused: Chris is right, not a good idea. that is, if you like your carbide bits :)

To the new CNC carvers:

A good and safe work around for bigger projects using pre cut smaller blocks, is to add 3/8 scrap wood to the sides and 4" to the ends, or build a sled.

try a search on "sleds" also look at the tip and tricks newsletter on "making sleds" from Doc and MT.

LG

Digitalwoodshop
08-02-2008, 09:33 PM
Excellent Work Chris !!!! I am going to be upstaged when they see his "Quality".... They will say... "Hey, get THAT guy next year..." LOL......

I see great things being produced in that Shop..... Wonderful work.

Pegged my WOW METER.....

AL

ChrisAlb
08-02-2008, 10:02 PM
Chris, very nice job. I'm hoping to learn these techniques.

By the way, did you notice that the word "their" is misspelled on the plaque?

Nope...lol...I surely didn't...DARN!!! The one drawback to designer, no spell checker for us sleepless folk.

Oh well, looks like it's off to the lumbar yard for me. Thanks Rocky!! Sure would have been embarrassing to show up there with that.

Yea Al, they'd say nice work, too bad the dope can't SPELL!

But the real point was a test. I made that pattern a long time ago. Until I met Al, I didn't have much use for it.

Rocky
08-03-2008, 05:23 AM
Chris, the misspelled word doesn't overshadow your very nice work. As a CW newbie, I'm sure learning a lot from you guys.

Kenm810
08-03-2008, 06:57 AM
Chris,

I've done it a dozen times or more!
Thankfully their's usually a kind soul out there
that notices and politely lets me know.

So I added a small Free auto spell checker to my task bar
to aid me in my fumble fingered typing.
It beeps when it catches an error and gives you a list of alternative words.
http://www.tinyspell.m6.net/

ChrisAlb
08-03-2008, 07:06 AM
It catches spelling in Designer?? WOW thanks Ken!! From one set of old fingers to another......

Hey, I have a question for you. Well...lol...actually two. Are you the one who posted the golf sign "I'm at my best when I'm teed off"?? If so, Where can I buy that G O L F pattern that runs down the left side? Today is my Dad's birthday and I've looked for it since I downloaded the MPC from here and dicovered I couldn't carve it.

Thanks (if it was you) aw heck...thanks even if it wasn't....lol

Kenm810
08-03-2008, 07:39 AM
Chris,

Sorry, I can't find it on this Pc, it might be on my one at work.
I honestly don't recall it, so it may have been posted by one of the other folks out there.

As for the Tiny Spell, you can click it on or off as needed.
I just leave it on --- I need it http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon11.gif

ChrisAlb
08-03-2008, 07:58 AM
Ken

Yea I downloaded and installed it. Ran Designer but nothing seems to happen?? I did add gui.exe to the applications list. Does it require a restart?? I don't have speakers right now so I can't hear the beep but I didn't see any window with suggestions pop up.

I have fixed the spelling error and I'm restarting the 3 hour carve now. I have two of them do before tonight sooo......I'm off like a herd of turtles.......

Kenm810
08-03-2008, 08:08 AM
Once it's in the task tray it's on.
and the TS square is white, while your typing and misspell a word the TS square turns yellow and beeps. click on it for a word correction.
If you don't the square will return back to white after another word or two are typed. The beep is really necessary for me, I don't notice it tuning yellow all the time. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif

ChrisAlb
08-03-2008, 08:39 AM
Once it's in the task tray it's on.
and the TS square is white, while your typing and misspell a word the TS square turns yellow and beeps. click on it for a word correction.
If you don't the square will return back to white after another word or two are typed. The beep is really necessary for me, I don't notice it tuning yellow all the time. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif

OK Buddy....the light....http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon3.gif....she come on now..LOL.. Thank you for taking up the slack of my painting signs till 3:30 AM and then sleeping in till 4:30...LOL

We really need one of these emoticons for extreme exhaustion and frantic pace. I think one that YAWNS & PULLS HAIR OUT would do nicely...:rolleyes:

fwharris
08-03-2008, 10:14 AM
Ken,

Thanks for the tip on the spell checker. I know there are a few of us out here that can use it.

liquidguitars
08-03-2008, 11:16 AM
Tgfsc

Lg

Ken Massingale
08-03-2008, 11:38 AM
Ken,

Thanks for the tip on the spell checker. I know there a few of us out here that can use it.
Now we need a punctuation checker!

liquidguitars
08-03-2008, 01:04 PM
I never liked to get involved in forums much over the years do to my bad spelling, the Carveright forum makes me overcome my dyslexic tendencies pushing me to communicate in this strange language called English. :)

LG