PDA

View Full Version : Lil Direction

LollyWood
08-02-2008, 04:21 PM
There was a post some time back involving the DD system w/ a brass or copper tube over the cutter head the puffs air onto the carving as it works to blow the dust away. I've been looking for a week and can't track it down. Any directions? Please :???:

liquidguitars
08-02-2008, 04:22 PM
thats Kens unit..

Kenm810
08-02-2008, 04:27 PM
Hi Bernie,

Is this the one you were looking for

LollyWood
08-02-2008, 04:33 PM
Thanks Ken That's what I'm looking for. Question about the side screw used to mount it?

BTW LG you switched your avatar. Nutilus is cool, but I was dig'n the working CW. (that was a quick ref of you for me. I get used to the new one now that I know it's you hehehehehe)

Kenm810
08-02-2008, 04:46 PM
I remember the screw is 1/4" long but I would to check the metric thread size for you. My machine is at my shop -- about 35 miles from here.
I keep a can of metric screws on hand for little stuff like that. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon11.gif I'd be happy to check it for you Monday

LollyWood
08-02-2008, 04:49 PM
That would be great boss, but please don't make a big deal. When you get a sec.

jerrbitt
08-02-2008, 08:10 PM
Good idea but I'm puzzled -- what does the brass tube connect to? The picture doesn't show it.

Kenm810
08-02-2008, 08:28 PM
jerrbitt,

I've been using the 1/ 8"Brass tube as an air sweep on my Machine for over a year now.
It's connected to my shop compressor for a regulated constant flow of dry low pressure air,
that sweeps back and forth across my projects surface.
It helps clean the chips and dust out of the carving and out of the way of the pressure rollers.
That way I don't have to open the lid and stop the carving process to vacuum or blow ot chips while the Machine is carving.

Here's a photo of the air connection and valve on my first DD Cabinet over a year ago ---8 to 10 Lb. pressure is all you need.
Plus the 1/8" Rubber hose tape to -- and following the flex-shaft into the machine

Kenm810
08-04-2008, 05:04 PM
Sorry Bernie, http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon11.gif

I got stuck out on road calls all day away form the shop,
I'll check that screw size first thing in the morning and post it here.

LollyWood
08-04-2008, 05:50 PM
:) :) :) :)

jerrbitt
08-04-2008, 07:26 PM
jerrbitt,

I've been using the 1/ 8"Brass tube as an air sweep on my Machine for over a year now.
It's connected to my shop compressor for a regulated constant flow of dry low pressure air,
that sweeps back and forth across my projects surface.
It helps clean the chips and dust out of the carving and out of the way of the pressure rollers.
That way I don't have to open the lid and stop the carving process to vacuum or blow ot chips while the Machine is carving.

Here's a photo of the air connection and valve on my first DD Cabinet over a year ago ---8 to 10 Lb. pressure is all you need.
Plus the 1/8" Rubber hose tape to -- and following the flex-shaft into the machine

Neat and similar to what I have on my drill press. I'm in business with an adjacent air supply handy.

Kenm810
08-05-2008, 07:24 AM
Bernie,

I'm back working in the shop with my carver playing it's tune in the background.
Here's the 5-44 X 1/4" Screw I used to attach the Air Sweep to the Carving Head.
A drop solder or epoxy and you'll be good to go. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif

Ps. Here's a carving I did today, the Air Sweep blows the dust and chip out of the carving and off the surface of the project board and sled
this photo was taken while the machine was carving 66% into a 1.75 hour carving with out opening the lid for vacuuming.
You can see how little dust is on the project or under the rollers.