PDA

View Full Version : Big problem?

rjusty
08-02-2008, 03:36 PM
I had hoped that my first post wouldn't be for a dead machine, so I guess I should have posted sooner. :) I've been on the forums a lot, just reading and learning. They have been a great resource.

I own a 5 mo. old CompuCarve with about 35hrs on it, the majority of them in the last 6 weeks. I just replaced the QC and both of the original bit adapters, and my first post-repair job was Jeff Birt's "Apple Box".

The last pattern was carving when the machine sent the bit all the way through the workpiece, so deep that the bit scratched the tierod assembly. I aborted the job, but the Z-truck wouldn't come back up. After powering down the CC, I was able to wiggle the Z up to get the bit free from the board, but now the Z-axis is dead. The Z motor and belt seem to be turning fine, but the truck won't move up and down. Am I down until I talk to tech support and/or will this require shipping my machine back?

Kenm810
08-02-2008, 04:06 PM
rjusty,

When you say the "Z" motor and belt seem to be turning fine, do you mean by hand.
If the carving head is not moving up and down under its own power than you should call one of the LHR techs,
your "Z" drive motor may be burnt out.
They will talk you through how to check it, and let you know if the machine needs to be sent in
or if they can send you the parts under warranty to get you up and carving again, either way a call to LHR won't hurt.

ChrisAlb
08-02-2008, 04:07 PM
Hi rjusty and welcome,

Sorry about your troubles.

At first glance I'd say you need a new Z motor.

liquidguitars
08-02-2008, 04:21 PM
Can move the Z truck up and down by hand?

also check the flat ribbon cable on the back of the truck.

I Think can tell if your getting power to the Z encoader from the sensor check "03" on the keypad.

LG

rjusty
08-02-2008, 04:55 PM
Chris and Ken - If I attempt to run a new project, the Z truck tries to move up and down, but just jerks around, while the Z motor and belt seem to be operating in a smooth linear fashion. I get an error - Assert Macro Failed, Error 87, Press Stop. Just a rookie guess, but is it possible the problem is in the belt-gear link on the back of the Ztruck?

LG - I can move the Z truck by hand, and if I watch the sensor readout at the same time, it doesn't change, except by maybe 1 or 2 thousandths. If I use my fingernail to wiggle the Z drive belt at all, the sensor readout responds. The ribbon cable looks OK.

Thanks for your quick responses - I haven't disassembled anything since I'm still under warranty. Should I take a look?

BTW - Josh and Lisa at LHR were great o nmy QC problem. No one at Sears has a clue.

Digitalwoodshop
08-02-2008, 05:05 PM
I would order the Z Motor. I need to order 2 Monday.... I toasted one when I let the flat cable get pinched not putting that little black cap back on.... It holds the flat cable in position... Cut the cable too....

AL

Kenm810
08-02-2008, 05:06 PM
It sounds a bit like the retainer chip on the "Z" belt may have broken loose.

rjusty
08-02-2008, 05:33 PM
Sounds like I may need parts, and should wait until I talk to Tech Support before doing anything, correct? I don't want to do anything (exploratory surgery) to void my warranty, but the thought of being without my machine is depressing. I feel like I'm just starting to hit my stride. Even worse, patience doesn't come easily to me. :)

Is that retainer clip something I might be able to reattach, Ken?

Kenm810
08-02-2008, 05:44 PM
It would be hard for me to do, but probably easy for Al -- He's great at that stuff!
But if the part is broken -- no way

Digitalwoodshop
08-02-2008, 07:19 PM
If the screws came loose from the back holding the belt.... That happened to me... I just got 2 Z Trucks from LHR yesterday, I will check the screws. Might be a new guy slip up at LHR.

Taking it off is easy with the right tools and if you are out of warranty.... Don't do it if you are in warranty.

The trick is to mark the bearing flat spot that is max tightness so you can see from the outside as you adjust the bearing. Black marker works best, red paint worked for a short time than flaked off... Nail polish would work.

The trick is to not strip the screw. Hold it but don't turn it. Use the wrench to loosen the bearing putting both at max looseness. You remove the Z Motor first.

To tighten, snug up the screw and get the bearing to the max tightness or closest together position. Then backing off the nut 1/4 turn hold the screw and keep doing that until you get the screw tight but not TOO tight... I snapped off 2 screws learning the correct pressure.

I ordered 24 extra screws the other day and paid $10.00 for them along with 2 Z Trucks. The person filling the order wrote 8 on the bottom of the order... The 8 included with the Spindle not looking at the note on page 2 saying send 24 EXTRA Screws..... I guess you could say I got my......... Screws.... LOL....

Call to LHR on Monday.

Picture 2 shows a defective Bearing I got that ended up having the retainer for the Z Truck Spindle Bearing falling out before I installed it. The Bearing should look like picture 3 with a way to HOLD the inner nut... This one in picture 2 is MISSING the SLOT... I took it off and it was on the correct way. I put Lock Tite on it and hope for the best... It failed anther way in 6 hours. The Retaining and Damper Ring around the lower bearing came out. Customer Service said since I had purchased it more than 30 days before using it they would not cover the replacement. I get to eat the $60.00 on a defective part. On a bright side they will refund the 3rd X Termination Board that was dead out of the box... less than 30 days... Thank YOU.

Back to work...

rjusty
08-02-2008, 07:54 PM
I guess that settles that. Thanks, AL.

I think I could handle the repair, and my wife says I've got more tools than anyone ever needs. But, I'm still under warranty.

I'll call Tech Support on Monday, but I assume that since my machine says CompuCarve on it, I'll have to take it to Sears and let them return it to Texas. Hopefully they'll get the machine and information to the right place and back. When I had my QC problem, I talked to Sears people all over the country, and the only one who was any help was the woman who gave me the support number for LHR. :rolleyes:

It's a good thing I bought that Sears 5-year warranty.

AskBud
08-02-2008, 08:07 PM

I think I could handle the repair, and my wife says I've got more tools than anyone ever needs. But, I'm still under warranty.

I'll call Tech Support on Monday, but I assume that since my machine says CompuCarve on it, I'll have to take it to Sears and let them return it to Texas. Hopefully they'll get the machine and information to the right place and back. When I had my QC problem, I talked to Sears people all over the country, and the only one who was any help was the woman who gave me the support number for LHR. :rolleyes:

Sears sends them to their Garland Texas facility,which is about 230 miles from LHR.
They seem to be getting the hang of doing the repair(s). They will be the ones doing the 5 year work so they need the practice, now, to cope with things down the line. I have had a series of independent problems and they (Sear's) get better with each repair session and are improving their time as well. Sear's has put over $1200.00 in parts into my machine since March.
AskBud

rjusty
08-02-2008, 08:14 PM
Thank you for the info. It gives me some confidence.

I hope it's not gone for too long.

liquidguitars
08-02-2008, 08:31 PM
LG - I can move the Z truck by hand, and if I watch the sensor readout at the same time, it doesn't change, except by maybe 1 or 2 thousandths.

bad encoder new Z pack needed...

I think I could handle the repair,

Takes about 30 mins to 40 min to replace. its not hard at all. Not like the QC for the first time..

LG

rjusty
08-02-2008, 08:58 PM
Ok, cool. I didn't think the QC was too bad, except getting the damn thing to break loose.

It took two sessions with the heat gun, and putting the handle of the LHR flat wrench in the jaws of a crescent wrench for leverage. Whoever put my machine together was generous with the threadlocker.:)

fwharris
08-02-2008, 11:19 PM
rjusty,

If your CC is still in the first year of warranty wouldn't it be covered by the LHR warranty? I would call LHR and go by their advice before going through sears. Just my opinion.

Since you have all of those tools that you spoke about you probably have the know how to do the Z pak replacement. It is easy to do. If you do the replacement check the screws that attach the z motor to the gear box. My new zpak screws came loose after about 4 hours of carve time. Like Al said, "Might be a new guy slip up at LHR"

rjusty
08-03-2008, 09:42 AM
I absolutely agree. I will be calling LHR first thing Monday.

If I can get the parts without having to tote my CC to Sears, I'm happy to do the repair myself.

Thanks. I value the opinion of those with more experience than me.

mtylerfl
08-03-2008, 04:51 PM

Hello,

Do not give it to Sears for the first year's warranty repair - if it has to be sent in, send it directly to LHR yourself. LHR will email you a shipping voucher/label.

(By the way, I believe the jury is still out whether the Sear's 5 Year warranty is truly valid.)

rjusty
08-04-2008, 09:18 PM
Well, it looks like my CC is going on a journey. I hope it's not for too long.

I called LHR this morning - the original plan was for me to receive a new Z bundle (motor, ribbon cable and circuit board), but the order was going to have to be approved - since it's kind of an upgrade. I have an old style Z motor. Is there a performance difference, or does it have something to do with the firmware? I'm running 1.13.

Anyway, I got a 2nd email telling me that my order was declined. I called back to find out that the supervisor thinks that the problem is in the Z belt, and wants the machine shipped back. I suppose that's better, since even though I'm new to the CC/CW, I think that's where the problem is, too.

Barry (Tech) was very helpful, and also told me that while it's in the shop, they will do the Z bundle swap in addition to the belt repair. Is there an issue between the old Z setup and 1.13 or is this just normal procedure?

No shipping e-mail yet. I know they were watching Eduardo...

liquidguitars
08-04-2008, 09:29 PM
normal repair the Z belt can be tricky to replace..

LG