PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody cut figured maple?

Woodman
08-02-2008, 02:59 PM
I had plans on using figured maples (burls, quilted, etc.) in the CW. Anybody have any experience with this? Problems???? Results????? Pete

liquidguitars
08-02-2008, 03:15 PM
Here is a left handed guitar i made on the carvewright using figured maple last year...

http://liquidguitars.com/assets/images/autogen/a_NC85-L-R001.jpg

the only wood i had probs with was some old crapy red luwan use as a test, the dust seems bad for the CW motors, but you would be ok with your dust system.

LG

Woodman
08-02-2008, 07:32 PM
Once again, thanks for the response! Is that an aniline dye? So the machine handled it fairly well in terms of not having an excessive amount of chip out? The reason I'm asking is that I plan on using a fair amount of the stuff, along with some other exotics.

Rocky
08-02-2008, 07:40 PM
Your guitar is really impressive. Is it true that all of the wood components were cut on a CW? WOW!

I just got my CW last week and I'm still learning.

liquidguitars
08-02-2008, 07:54 PM
Hi Rocky,

Is it true that all of the wood components were cut on a CW?
yes..

Is that an aniline dye? So the machine handled it fairly well in terms of not having an excessive amount of chip out? The reason I'm asking is that I plan on using a fair amount of the stuff, along with some other exotics.

Woodman, I use "Stew mac or Mc faddens" for my guitar stain. Waterbase blue with Nitro finish.

Maple seems to cut overall better than softer woods but it's not a prob.
LG

www.go3d.us
08-02-2008, 11:33 PM
I haven't carve on any other kind of wood except pine :)
liquidguitars, beautiful work as always. Specially love the violin on the other post.
HT