PDA

View Full Version : Question re: the Stock Carving Bit

SAA3840
08-02-2008, 02:31 AM
Does anyone know where you can purchase new bits? I know Carvewright has them but you have to buy the bit adapter with the bit. I want to get a couple of spares for when mine gets dull or broken.

There is someone selling a carve bit for our machines on Ebay, but there's only one notch in the side for set screw(s). I would think the balance would be way off if you used one with only one set screw. And if you used two but didn't get them both screwed in evenly, I would think that would throw things off as well, considering the speed the bit operates. And his price isn't that much lower than Carvewright's price that includes the adapter.

So, anyway, does anyone know where to buy bits?

al2888dj
08-02-2008, 07:45 AM
try sears has bits and adaptors 3- 1/4 bit adaptors for 9.00 part # 926695 they also carry other carvewright bits also

MikeMcCoy
08-02-2008, 08:28 AM
My local Sears doesn't carry anything but I just bought the full bit set last weekend online. I don't know if it's still going on but the had the set on sale plus a $30 rebate. Of course I'm finding that paying for the expedited shipping is a waste of money. Ordered Saturday and here it is the following Saturday ..... No bits yet. :(

Kenm810
08-02-2008, 09:05 AM
I've ordered and used bits from this site
and found they worked fine in my machine.
Have a look.
http://www.precisebits.com/products/carbidebits/taperedcarve250b4f.asp

Jeff_Birt
08-02-2008, 09:29 AM
I don't know who is making the bits on E-bay, but I do know that the bits the precisebits.com sells only have the flat on one side also. This is called a 'fast-on', and is VERY common in tooling and can be/is actually a more accurate way to mount the tool in a tool holder. With two set screws you are pressing at a single point on opposite sides of the tool, this can lead to tipping the tool as you tighten the screws.

To try this hold a pencil between the tips of your index fingers and push ever so sligtly more towards the top with on finger; you will see the bottom of the pencil kick out.

Like this:
Tool
finger ------->|<-------- finger
|
|

Now try pressing the pencil to the palm of your hand with the opposit index finger, now you can't induce tipping, or kicking out the bottom of the tool as you are pressing the tool into a even surface.

Hand
]
]|
]|<------- finger
]|
|
pencil

I have also use precise bit carving bits on my machine with great success, they also offer them in a Zirconium Nitride coating.

liquidguitars
08-02-2008, 11:28 AM
Good information Jeff! I even mount the OEM bits like this now. one side tight first then the next side of the screw..

I have two bits from precisebits.com and had good luck with the cutters. The 1/16 carve bit Precisebits sells is a little smaller in "Z" than LHR's OEM cutter but it not a prob.

No one sells that "1/8 cut bit" but LHR no one :twisted:

Any tool makers up for re sharpening 1/16 ball? is it even a good idea? my saw guy said it will need a CNC to sharpen.

LG

Amonaug
08-02-2008, 12:23 PM
Speaking of sharpening, this site says they sharpen single and double flute router bits

http://www.badgerwood.com/products.html#Sharpening

liquidguitars
08-02-2008, 12:40 PM
The 1/16 ball is tricky its a 4 flute, 2 upcut and 2 down cut right?

Soft Maple: Soft Maple is similar to Hard Maple except that it is softer and easier to machine. It occasionally has a red cast. (Av. Wt .2.8lbs/bf) 4/4 Sel+Btr
8/4 Sel+Btr $3.50/bf
$4.55/bf

I get soft maple on the left coast for $2.80 bf under 100 bf lots, select. I was thinking that was high :)

LG