PDA

View Full Version : Maintenance question

woodchipsltd
07-31-2008, 06:57 PM
I've been trying to find some good info on what type of lube to use for both the flex shaft, XYZ rails, and the raising and lowering jack screws. Some suggestions have been Liquid Wrench and Gunk L716 Industrial Chain Lube with Moly. I've also read somewhere that dry lube and white grease works also. Even so someone say that silicone spray on a rag for the screw jacks works well also.

Before I run down to my local "toy store" does anyone have any additional information?

Thanks in advance.

:)

Digitalwoodshop
07-31-2008, 08:01 PM
You hit all the popular methods.... It's your choice, I use them all except the silicone.

I use 3 in 1 oil in the QC but Dry Lube would be better.

AL

ChrisAlb
07-31-2008, 08:08 PM
Actually Al, 3 in 1 is beter. There's a thread floating around in here that shows the dry lube can cause trouble.

Delivered the signs...dead to the world...good night all......zzzzzzzz

Digitalwoodshop
07-31-2008, 09:23 PM
Good Job Chris.... 2 machines are humming along just fine but it is 10 PM and they like to cause a ruckus at this time of night..... Both have been going for 12 hours now.... With this batch I will have 16 of the 20 Participation Plaques Cut... Long Night Painting....

I do like 3 in 1. Even like it on the jacking screw and 4 posts. Found the molly on the post to attract more dust.

Sleep well my Friend,

AL

JVallario
07-31-2008, 11:25 PM
I've been looking for the Gunk L716 Industrial Chain Lube with Moly for 2 days now. Nobody has it. I found some CRC Industries 03084 Dry Moly Lube at Graingers but not sure if it is the same. I haven't even started my machine for the first time because I wanted to lube the flex shaft first. Maybe I'm being too cautious?

Digitalwoodshop
07-31-2008, 11:45 PM
Your NOT being too Cautious.... Damage the Flex Cable and it is not a warranty part.... $75.00....Plus 15.00 shipping. Home Depot has it in my area if that helps. Chris Alb has some Molly used in Motor Assembly that I am looking for. He likes that.

AL

ChrisAlb
08-01-2008, 05:10 AM
Your NOT being too Cautious.... Damage the Flex Cable and it is not a warranty part.... $75.00....Plus 15.00 shipping. Home Depot has it in my area if that helps. Chris Alb has some Molly used in Motor Assembly that I am looking for. He likes that.

AL

Yep, That lube would be this......

http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showpost.php?p=53871&postcount=4

The best in my book and only thing I'll use.

Unfortunately Al, In my exhausted haste to deliver those plaques, I forgot to set them up for proper pictures. So this is all I have. I guess we'll have to wait until they're hung up at the camp and go get some shots in place.

supershingler
08-01-2008, 08:11 AM
hey chris and digital

do you guy by midnight oil by the tankerload or only a gallon or two at a time

great looking plaques

and real nice job painting

and chris

the weather is hot and humid here in south dakota
the ride to sturgis would be miserable(just thought i'd make you feel better for not being able to make the trip lol)

happy carving

kendall

ChrisAlb
08-01-2008, 08:15 AM
I don't know about Al Kendall but, I just tapped a 4" line from the Alaskan Pipeline to my house....:rolleyes:

cnsranch
08-01-2008, 08:51 AM
Chris, go get some sleep (after you answer my question :D )

Did you sponge the raised areas of the text and crests - they look great.

Digitalwoodshop
08-01-2008, 08:55 AM
Me too.... We have a 24 inch Gas Line on our property and I took the opportunity to add a line to the shop when they had the big dig a few years ago. Snicker....

There is a major power line project planned for our area and above this pipeline in my back yard is one of the 3 possible paths.... Bummer....

AL

ChrisAlb
08-01-2008, 09:43 AM
Chris, go get some sleep (after you answer my question :D )

Did you sponge the raised areas of the text and crests - they look great.

Thanks CNS, Nope, This was all done with "VERY" small artists bushes under this lighted magnifier.

The logos are only 4" x 4" so all that raised stuff is pretty darn small...lol Especially at 2:00 AM.

cnsranch
08-01-2008, 09:56 AM
Had a friend in San Diego (firefighter) that moonlighted on days off building cabinetry. Did beautiful work, but absolutely hated the finish part. Found a guy to take that on, so he could focus on what he really liked to do.

I guess I'm a lot like him - building, carving, etc., is a blast. What you were doing at 2am is not for me!!

But, as with everything, you gotta do what you gotta do in order to do what you wanna do (who's on first?)

liquidguitars
08-01-2008, 09:57 AM
nice work guys!

Actually Al, 3 in 1 is beter. There's a thread floating around in here that shows the dry lube can cause trouble.

I like the 3 in 1 best 2 for the QC. Regarding dry lube, I would think dry lube could cloud the board sensors if sprayed to close to the LED's

love the painted bears,

LG

cseidler
08-01-2008, 09:57 AM
It would be swell if there were a Scheduled Maintenence Spreadsheet (as you'd receive with most small engine machines). Does anyone have one?

atauer
08-01-2008, 09:58 AM
Al,

Nice pictures, especially the one from winter. Makes me think of all the stuff i left behind when i moved to texas from oklahoma. It wasn't as nice as you have, but it was still beautiful, definitely after the once a year snow storm that oklahoma is prone to.

ChrisAlb
08-01-2008, 10:22 AM
nice work guys!

I like the 3 in 1 best 2 for the QC. Regarding dry lube, I would think dry lube could cloud the board sensors if sprayed to close to the LED's

love the painted bears,

LG

OK, now that I've had a few hours shut eye I can answer this better...lol

Dry lube is great for many things. Unfortunately, high heat conditions isn't one of them. Most dry lubes work because of the "graphite" they contain. As it heats up, the graphite drys out even more and is then prone to absorbing moisture which in turn, then causes rusting of the chuck and bit adapters.

I wish I could remember the member (I "think" FWharris) that posted some really tell tale pictures of this condition. (Sorry if it wasn't you FW). But the adapter pictures he posted showed a horrible rust condition as a result of using Dry Lube on the chuck.

Dry lube is OK for the vertical head posts but still doesn't last that long. For them, I prefer using silicone spray BUT!!! I spray it on a rag and wipe the posts.

http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon4.gif... DO NOT spray it directly on the posts as it WILL get on many parts you don't want it on. Silicone can play hell with plastics, CIRCUIT BOARDS and BELTS. Not to mention (as in another post today) it WILL migrate and get on your wood and at the risk of ryming...that ain't GOOD!...http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon4.gif

Kenm810
08-01-2008, 10:33 AM
Here's a Photo I took a while back
Dry Lube and Dust http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_sad.gif

fwharris
08-01-2008, 10:41 AM
I wish I could remember the member (I "think" FWharris) that posted some really tell tale pictures of this condition. (Sorry if it wasn't you FW). But the adapter pictures he posted showed a horrible rust condition as a result of using Dry Lube on the chuck.

Chris,

Yes that was me. Looks like you have your film in!

I just posted the same info in another thread. 3 AND 1 IS OUR BEST FRIEND.

At Chris's request this is the post. Man did that take a while to find. It was under a different topic. Just remember, Search is your friend!

http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7848

ChrisAlb
08-01-2008, 10:44 AM
OK...lol...I thought so. The film may be in FW but the shutter is a wee bit slow today....:rolleyes:

If you could post the link to that post of yours or the pictures again, I think it will help many.

Thanks FW!!

Digitalwoodshop
08-01-2008, 10:56 AM
I had a bit jam this morning and tried the removal tool. Holding it under the bit and pulling up, no luck. Then I slid the removal tool into the slot of the bit holder and used the tool to pry the QC open..... I never knew that..... I always used it to pull up on the QC.... I am sure it was posted somewhere.... Same tool but correct way to use it.... No one should EVER have a stuck bit problem with that tool....

I think my 2 fingers are just too sore from all the bit changes.... 15 hours of carving 2 machines yesterday... Today had a problem with the Y missing some steps and off setting in the middle of a carve. The Y was tight moving manually, I cleaned the dust and it worked better. I am using 1 dust collector and 2 machines so efficient is down.

AL

JVallario
08-01-2008, 12:26 PM
Thanks to Chris and Al I found the Crane Cams lube at the 4th place I called. None of the major auto parts dealers had it and the local place only had 1 pkg buried beneath some other stuff. I saw that Crane also makes it in 1 lb tubs 99004-1. I may order this so I don't have to worry about locating it again when I need it.

John

Yep, That lube would be this......

http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showpost.php?p=53871&postcount=4

The best in my book and only thing I'll use.

Unfortunately Al, In my exhausted haste to deliver those plaques, I forgot to set them up for proper pictures. So this is all I have. I guess we'll have to wait until they're hung up at the camp and go get some shots in place.

ChrisAlb
08-01-2008, 01:09 PM
Thanks to Chris and Al I found the Crane Cams lube at the 4th place I called. None of the major auto parts dealers had it and the local place only had 1 pkg buried beneath some other stuff. I saw that Crane also makes it in 1 lb tubs 99004-1. I may order this so I don't have to worry about locating it again when I need it.

John

John,

if you want to buy that much then by all means go right ahead but, I bought one package that has two little flex pouches in it almost 4 months ago. I haven't use 25% of the fist package yet and my CW runs (on average) about 8 hours a day. In my opinion, A 1lb "Tub" would last you a lifetime or more if you had 10 machines running 24/7.....lol

Since I get between 40 and 60 hours on a lube, I've used "maybe" a teaspoon full.

I guess you could always sell it to others having a hard time finding it but it's a stock item at the NAPA next to me.

JVallario
08-02-2008, 09:32 AM
Well - perhaps I'll wait and see. Like I said it was a bit tougher for me to find out here. Yes - your Napa's better than mine. The Auto Parts store anyway - On the town of Napa I may have to object. If I had to order it on line it would have been more expensive. The Gunk Chain Lube w/ Moly was running $20-$25 to buy 1 can on line. The 1 pound tub is only about $40 plus shipping. Anyway I just thought I'd put it out there. Maybe somebody else has 10 machines?

rjusty
08-02-2008, 04:27 PM
I also had a hard time finding the Chain Lube w/moly at any hardware stores in my area (West Central Florida), and my local Ace closed about 9 months ago. After reading a post about the Crane Cams assembly lube, I went straight to our only NAPA store, but also no luck.

Being desperate, I tried AutoZone. They didn't have the Crane lube, but did carry Lucas Oil's assembly lube. The Mgr. said it was a comparable product. It contains moly, so I gave it a shot. Based on the description of the CC lube in the orig post, they seem similar, and my flexshaft is definitely running a lot cooler. They charged me $3.99 for a 4oz bottle, and it has a top like a glue bottle - which makes application pretty easy.

Woodman
08-03-2008, 07:12 AM
Ken: Seen that exact same thing on mine a few times before it finally gave up the ghost and I had to replace it. The mirror's a GREAT tool. The size also keeps stuff from falling into the dust collector system and that's a good thing since somebody at CW insists on using cheap little phillips screws instead of allen head versions. . . . grump. . . gritch . . . Al: During that time I had cut fingers from trying to get the 1/8th cutting bit outta my QC. The rep (I got CRS so's I don't remember who) told me to take a screwdriver and tap on the bit with the handle. Worked like a charm. I does it gently tho cause I'm not fond of hammering on my baby. . . .Pete

Woodman
08-03-2008, 07:22 AM
Mr. Atauer: I live in Enid. Hmmm?????

woodchipsltd
08-04-2008, 10:24 AM
Gentlemen one and all,

Thank you very much for all of your replies on my original request for the different lubricants you use on your machines. I've been able to find and or at least locate the stores that carry most of the Moly lube that everyone has mentioned. Now it's off to the "toy stores" to get them. Another "hit" on the credit card! Hopefully this ounce of prevention will keep me from experiencing some of the flex shaft 'break downs" that I've been reading about.

As a side bar, is it true what i've also been reading that many of you have multiple machines in your shop? One, you're either a money making business or two, you have a very understanding wife! Just thought I'd ask!

:o

tr0086
08-04-2008, 10:36 AM
Internet Purchase Link
http://www.horsepowerparts.com/index.php?content_id=1

ChrisAlb
08-04-2008, 10:51 AM
As a side bar, is it true what i've also been reading that many of you have multiple machines in your shop? One, you're either a money making business or two, you have a very understanding wife! Just thought I'd ask!

:o

YES!....lol