PDA

View Full Version : Cut Path And Tabs

jerrbitt
07-30-2008, 06:47 PM
Carving text letters using a cut path. The cut path did not leave tabs to hold the piece in place.

First question is should you be able to see the tabs when you look at the rear of the piece? I can’t seem to make them out.

Like I said I’m carving out text and for some reason, it appears the best side of text from the standpoint of smoothness is the rear. So smart me, I set up the text, then do a horizontal flip and then apply “outline pattern” and then “cut path.”

I then delete the text since the cut path has been determined.

And then I carve it and watch the piece fall apart because there are no tabs.

Unless you experts have a solution, my possible solution is to apply some masking tape to the rear of the board thinking that may be sufficient to hold the pattern in place.

HELP with better ideas pleas

Kenm810
07-30-2008, 07:06 PM
jerrbitt,

By your Mpc. file it looks like you assigned a bit and depth to the cut path that eliminated or cut out the tabs you needed.

Amonaug
07-30-2008, 07:07 PM
If all you are looking for are simple flat cut-outs there really is no need to flip the words backwards. It'll be flat on botht the front and back anyway (assuming the board is flat :) ).

As for tabs, you won't see them in designer but it will leave them when it cuts the paths. Now it could be possible the tabs are breaking when it's cutting the paths. This can be caused by a loose bit or wobbly spindle.

There is no need to assign bits or depths to the cut path, when you select cut path it automatically assigns the 1/8" straight bit and calculates the tabs. With you assigning a bit and depth you are cutting through your tabs.

jerrbitt
07-30-2008, 07:21 PM
Well duh, I live and learn. Thanks gentleman