PDA

View Full Version : Project Photos by Michael T

mtylerfl
07-30-2008, 03:53 PM
I haven't posted pics of my projects in the Gallery for awhile. A couple you may recognize from Tips & Tricks or the Project Subscription pages on the CarveWright main website.

The "Vintage Desktop Coin Caddy" is an original project that is included for anyone who is a Project Subscriber. (I think that one is going to be emailed out in August.)

The "Extremely Famous Buzz Saw Yo-Yo" (pattern and illustrated instructions) will be available from the Project Depot very soon.

Amonaug
07-30-2008, 04:14 PM
Did you get the Yo-Yo idea from Issue 184 of Wood Magazine? ;)

mtylerfl
07-30-2008, 04:37 PM
Did you get the Yo-Yo idea from Issue 184 of Wood Magazine? ;)

I sure did! (That's the issue that had the CarveWright Review)

I told Chris Lovchik that when I saw their yo-yo project in that same issue (using a lathe) that "I bet I can make a pattern for a yo-yo that the CarveWright could do!" So I came up with the theme "Buzz Saw" and did it (created the pattern in ArtCAM). Also did a couple other yo-yo versions for myself that are two-sided carves, but the "Extremely Famous Buzz Saw Yo-Yo" is a single-sided project that won't make anyone nervous!

I'm thinking I should send the Yo-Yo picture to Wood Magazine to let them know you don't need a lathe to make yo-yo's with - get a CarveWright instead!

The instructions that come with the project also include a couple pages of "Yo-Yo Tips and Interesting Facts" in case someone goes into production with it (for sale at craft shows) and wants to have those as info sheets to include with each yo-yo at the time of sale.

I even came up with a 1950's-style ad header just for grins (see graphic below)

forqnc
07-31-2008, 07:20 AM
Once again your Talent amazes me Michael. Could you share some more detail on the Bird cage?

Amonaug
07-31-2008, 09:18 AM
Once again your Talent amazes me Michael. Could you share some more detail on the Bird cage?

The Bird Cage is one of the projects in the subscription letter.

http://www.carvewright.com/cms/subscription

mtylerfl
07-31-2008, 09:38 AM

Hello,

Thank you for the nice comments!

The Decorative Bird Cage is one of the projects included for the Project Subscribers (http://www.carvewright.com/cms/subscription).

• It has 37 wood components (not counting the dowels)

• Carved, drilled, cut out on five different boards using five different mpc's
(the machine drills the 254 holes for the dowels automatically!)

• Measures approx 11"x18" when assembled.

• Total machine time is about 5½ hours all together - spread between the five mpc's and boards.

It was kind of a "bear" to design, but it's a fairly easy project for someone to put together now, what with the accompanying illustrated instructions and all the mpc's already laid out!

fwharris
07-31-2008, 11:07 AM
Michael,

Great pictures and of course great projects! You do need to post more often.
I can not wait to get the coin caddy project. It looks like it will be a fun one to do. Our coin club will be doing a show this October so great timing! Also got a call to do some corbels (12 to 14) so your tips and tricks really are a benefit to the carving community.

Thanks for sharing!

SandBuoy
07-31-2008, 11:14 AM
Really nice work Michael, looking forward to doing the coin caddy and the birdhouse looks like another family project.

forqnc
08-01-2008, 09:13 AM
Amonaug and Michael, thanks for the links, I need to browse the Carvewright site more often.

liquidguitars
08-01-2008, 09:37 AM
Very nice projects!

LG