PDA

View Full Version : Carving boards less than 1/2"

Rocky
07-30-2008, 08:39 AM
There is a carving I want to do on 1/4" wood stock. Since the CW minimum thickness is 1/2", I'm thinking of using carpet tape to attach a 1/4" piece of hardboard (same exact size as stock) to the bottom of my stock for carving. Anyone see any problems with this approach? Is there a better way to do this? Maybe a "sled"?

Speaking of "sleds" for CW, is there a standard plan somewhere on this forum.

Thanks,

mtylerfl
07-30-2008, 08:49 AM
There is a carving I want to do on 1/4" wood stock. Since the CW minimum thickness is 1/2", I'm thinking of using carpet tape to attach a 1/4" piece of hardboard (same exact size as stock) to the bottom of my stock for carving. Anyone see any problems with this approach? Is there a better way to do this? Maybe a "sled"?

Speaking of "sleds" for CW, is there a standard plan somewhere on this forum.

Thanks,

Hello Rocky,

I know you are new so you probably are not aware of the monthly Tips & Tricks newsletters. One of them (Issue #9) addresses the use of sleds extensively, which you will find extremely informative, and another (Issue 8) illustrates techniques for cut outs using boards less than 1/2" thick.

You can download all the issues for free at:

http://www.carvebuddy.com/learning_center.html

You can sign up to recieve the Tips & Tricks via email each month. Visit the CarveWright Home page (http://www.carvewright.com/) - you'll see the "Join Our Mailing List" box on the right side. Fill it out and you'll start receiving the newsletters automatically.

Rocky
07-30-2008, 08:52 AM
Thanks, Michael! Yes, I am new, but I still should have done a search of the CW site first before I started the thread. I'll check out the Tips.

mtylerfl
07-30-2008, 09:00 AM
Thanks, Michael! Yes, I am new, but I still should have done a search of the CW site first before I started the thread. I'll check out the Tips.

Hello,

Forgot to mention that there are not really any "standard" sled plans. Kind of depends on your particular application, sizes, etc. which you will determine for building your own. The tips and tricks illustrates a lot of different styles which will help you.

Also, be sure to read the Dec '07 and the Jan '08 Tips & Tricks issues. They will help you learn how to setup projects correctly and also teach you the "care and feeding" techniques to keep your machine running in tip-top condition.

Welcome to the CW community!