PDA

View Full Version : Bit changing question

Rocky
07-30-2008, 07:16 AM
Am I correct in assuming that I can select multiple bits during design (say 1 bit for lettering and 1 bit for figure carving) and, CW will ask for 1st bit to be installed, do all its carving with that bit, and then ask for 2nd bit and finish carving with 2nd bit?

Thanks,

13Z5M
07-30-2008, 07:45 AM
I'm a new guy and don't have as much experience as a lot of the others, but here is what I have seen.

I have only used two bits at a time in a carving, but the machine asked for both bits before carving and then prompted to switch bits when it was time.

Steve

Kenm810
07-30-2008, 08:24 AM
Rocky,

You may use multiple bits during design and craving process.
The machine will ask you to install each bit for verification before the carving will begin.
Some say it's mainly to make sure you have the proper bits you will to complete the carving.
Then the machine will ask you to load the first bit needed and will begin the carving,
then stop and ask for the next bit, and so on.

mtylerfl
07-30-2008, 08:25 AM
Am I correct in assuming that I can select multiple bits during design (say 1 bit for lettering and 1 bit for figure carving) and, CW will ask for 1st bit to be installed, do all its carving with that bit, and then ask for 2nd bit and finish carving with 2nd bit?

Thanks,

Hello Rocky,

When doing a "standard" project, you do NOT manually assign any bits.

All raster carving is done with the 1/16" bit and all cut paths use the 1/8" cutting bit.

The software automatically assigns the 1/16" bit to raster carves (patterns and carve regions) and automatically assigns the 1/8" bit to cut paths - you do not need to, nor should you, interfere with this - it could cause unexpected results.

Manual bit assignments are typically only necessary when you are doing V-carves (such as when you want to use the 60° or 90° for an element like Centerline Text), or when you are doing decorative edge routing using ogee bits and need to tell the software which particular decorative bit to use.

Otherwise, the software will take care of the 1/16" and 1/8" assignments automatically. There are rare exceptions when you would want to intervene, but that is in special circumstances, which very few people will likely encounter.

As far as bit setup at the machine...you will be prompted for the LAST bit used in the project FIRST, during setup. The machine performs homing and surface finding routines before the project actually runs. After it homes/finds surface for the last bit you put in the holder during the setup routine (which is actually the first bit used for the project) the machine will proceed with the project. After that, you will be prompted to remove the bit and insert the next one in the order sequence. This "project bit sequence" is in the opposite order of the "setup bit sequence" in most cases. (Double-sided projects can have a slightly different sequence.)

In a nutshell - trust the machine and follow the prompts on your LCD screen. It knows what its doing.

Hope this helps!

Rocky
07-30-2008, 08:31 AM
Thanks folks for the good feedback.