PDA

View Full Version : Jog to position

JimStaley
07-29-2008, 11:35 AM
Background: I was carving a two-sided item. It is important that the two sides stay in the alignment that I set with the Designer. During the prewliminary process, I indicated that I wanted the carving centered on the piece, Nevertheless when Carvewright is checking the birts, etc. it asks me to jog to position. I have no idea what position it is asking about, so I ignored it but noted the x and y positions. After carving the first side, it went through the same process on the other side. This time when it asked me to jog to position, I figured that it wanted me to jog to the same position that I had noted on the other side. Bad desision. The second side carved out of registry with the first.

Questions: Why am I being asked to jog to a position? What criteria do I use to decide where to jog to? How do insure that the carving turns out like the design with both sides in registry with each other?

www.go3d.us
07-29-2008, 11:55 AM
It giving the "jog to position" option because your actual piece is either longer than the virtual piece set in designer. Thus hitting the arrow button on the key pad will give you more options other than "jog to position".
When you select the "jog to position", it will take you to the next screen with more option to "jog to edge" or "jog to center". Pick your choice then use the arrow to move the board to the position you desired. Take note of the length and x axis so you can do the same on the second side.
When carving two side project, it is good idea to have your actual piece .25" larger than virtual piece set in designer. That way the machine will give the option to center the pattern on the piece. Also need to center your pattern inside designer.
Hope this help.
HT

JimStaley
07-29-2008, 12:10 PM
Thanks, but I am still confused. As I said, I selected center on piece before it asked me to jog to position. When I jogged the second side to the position that I noted on the first side, it carved out of registry. Therefore, I can't relate to your response.

ChrisAlb
07-29-2008, 12:32 PM
Background: I was carving a two-sided item. It is important that the two sides stay in the alignment that I set with the Designer. During the prewliminary process, I indicated that I wanted the carving centered on the piece, Nevertheless when Carvewright is checking the birts, etc. it asks me to jog to position. I have no idea what position it is asking about, so I ignored it but noted the x and y positions. After carving the first side, it went through the same process on the other side. This time when it asked me to jog to position, I figured that it wanted me to jog to the same position that I had noted on the other side. Bad desision. The second side carved out of registry with the first.

Questions: Why am I being asked to jog to a position? What criteria do I use to decide where to jog to? How do insure that the carving turns out like the design with both sides in registry with each other?

Hi Jim,

This sounds to me like you have the CW set for "Manual" Jog to position (my favorite setting as it gives me nore control), when it's "finding the surface" during the bit set up. If you have a double sided carve, and it's locked "centered" on the board in designer, there should be no need for you to jog to position "manually" for the bit to find the surface during setup.

To change this referance page 23 of your users manual. It states...

5) Jog Touch (Off/On)
Setting this option to On configures the machine so that the user is
required to manually set the location of the bit tip for the surface find
operation. During the project setup, the machine will prompt the user
to jog the bit tip over the location on the workpiece that will serve as
the top surface for the project. This is particularly useful when there
are already features carved into the material that prohibit the
machine from automatically detecting the top surface of the material.
The default setting is Off which allows the machine to automatically
find the top surface of the material.

On the key pad...

0 User otions
5 Jog Touch

JimStaley
07-29-2008, 04:05 PM
Thanks. Jog Touch was ON. I don't recall ever modifying it, but I guess that I did by mistake. I don't have any more stock the correct size on hand to check, but when I do, I will report how it worked.

Digitalwoodshop
07-29-2008, 05:38 PM
Another thing I do is use "Place on end of board" with everything. I draw a small 4 inch box on the right side of Designer and that always gives me a 4 inch under the rollers at that end. I have a collection growing every day of 4 inch blocks that will become small signs....

It makes 2 sided projects easier in my opinion as your only dealing with one end of the board.

AL

ChrisAlb
07-29-2008, 05:53 PM
Another thing I do is use "Place on end of board" with everything. I draw a small 4 inch box on the right side of Designer and that always gives me a 4 inch under the rollers at that end. I have a collection growing every day of 4 inch blocks that will become small signs....

It makes 2 sided projects easier in my opinion as your only dealing with one end of the board.

AL

Then why not put 4" on each side and use center? Then you'll get two blocks for small signs....LOL

Kenm810
07-29-2008, 06:06 PM
Quote: -- Then why not put 4" on each side and use center? Then you'll get two blocks for small signs....LOL

I always use a sled and still have the two 4" blocks I started with, http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_cool.gif and no little signs! http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_razz.gif

ChrisAlb
07-29-2008, 06:08 PM
Yep! Me too.

supershingler
07-29-2008, 06:26 PM
digital

did you ever think about using the 4" blocks for some custom rosettes for window and door trim

that is one thing i have to work on

i work in a lumberyard and your choices are about 4 maybe 5 and only 2 different sixes

with the cw i think the selections would be endless

kendall