PDA

View Full Version : Help on a radius from a newbie

fasth2
07-27-2008, 06:34 PM
Hello fellas from a newbie as of yesterday owning mt machine.

I cannot figure out how to carve something on an angle. I am trying to carve something on the edge of a radius such as quarter round. Will this machine carve somthing and then shape the quarter round?

or I could take a piece of quarter round and put in into a piece of wood with a v grove cut out to accomodate the quater round.

Thanks for your help

Mike

Digitalwoodshop
07-27-2008, 07:42 PM
Sounds like you have the right idea... To engrave or Carve on the round radius of the 1/4 round you would best place it in a chunk of 5/4 lumber with a V Grove in it the length of the 5/4 so the face is flat to the carving table. You would need to make the 1/4 round flush with the top of the 5/4 or make a sled with sides higher.... Novel Concept marking on 1/4 round.... Could be a BOOM for a builder wanting to use the 1/4 round with a them like Hearts, Deer, Birds, Sports, Vines, etc... A repeating pattern...

Welcome

AL

ChrisAlb
07-27-2008, 08:08 PM
You would also need to match the radius of the 1/4 round with either a region and surface or by scanning a piece of it and then make the patterns "merge additive" so the carvings will follow the curve.

A great idea and not hard to do either way.

fasth2
08-09-2008, 04:53 PM
I have scanned the profile, I have tried to learn online but this software has baffled me. I can import the image but it appears as a hollowed out shell shape, how can I rotate it to make the machine follow the profile. I am lost!

Thanks again
Mike C.

Jvicaretti
08-09-2008, 05:59 PM
Hi,
I'm new too but I think I can help (at least I know it works for me) In designer right click on the area that seems to be hollowed out and then click on invert. That should change it from concave to convex.
To turn your pattern, again right click and then go to turn rotate and pick the button you need.
Hope this helps.

fasth2
08-12-2008, 08:51 AM
okay I have defined a surface and added a dome pattern to it, then I can add my teardrop or lines to it and merge additive to make it follow the radius. The machine wants to make the surface first and then come back and carve my teardrop. Since I already have my quarter round can I trick the machine into thinking it has already done the first step and just start with the teardrop?

Thanks
Mike

ChrisAlb
08-12-2008, 09:28 AM
okay I have defined a surface and added a dome pattern to it, then I can add my teardrop or lines to it and merge additive to make it follow the radius. The machine wants to make the surface first and then come back and carve my teardrop. Since I already have my quarter round can I trick the machine into thinking it has already done the first step and just start with the teardrop?

Thanks
Mike

Well...not really I think.

I assume you're cutting a "raster" pattern "down into" the quarter round?

If so, then all you can really do is let the machine follow your stock "thinking" it's cutting the quarter round when all it's really going to do is carve the patterns down into it.

If you want your patterns "raised" up from the stock, then the CW actually has to carve the quarter round as well as it can't "add" wood to your piece.

fasth2
08-12-2008, 09:42 AM
That's exactly what I am trying to do Chris, carve down into it. But can I move things around in the carving list to one before the other? That is what I want to do anyway, create a sled and have it carve into the pieces I already have. Making some intricate newal post for a house we are trimming and to make them look like it came from a solid piece I have cross cut each little piece of wood that goes onto it. Just having a bugger of a time with this radius and this software.

Thanks for the support
Mike

ChrisAlb
08-12-2008, 10:45 AM
Unfortunately no. We have no control over the order in which carvings are done. Other than the built in structure of the Designer software i.e. Carvings first, Vector cuts second and Cut Outs last, Moving the items around in the list has no effect on carving order.

If you're carving into quarter round, the carvings must be pretty small right?

Let me ask you this. What size quarter round are you using? 3/4" 1/2" bigger, smaller?

If it's around 3/4", it's "possible" that you may not have to worry about the curve at all.

Using your "curved profile" on the board as your depth and placement guide, Can you set the depth of your patterns deep enough to get the outsides of them to still carve into it? if so, do that and then just remove the curve.

Might work?

fasth2
08-12-2008, 11:28 AM
using 1 inch quarter round, so put in a cradle or sled I should be able to carve a teardrop pattern into it, just can't figure out how to make it carve the teardrop in a merge additive by itself?? And by teardrop I am just trying to carve the outline of it, ie. an arch with two lines coming from each side connected at the top.

Certainly confusing software for me.

Thanks
Mike

ChrisAlb
08-12-2008, 12:00 PM
Well you wouldn't need to merge anything if the pattern is the only thing on the board.

But if you're looking for just an "outline" of the teardrop, then you'll have to use the curve as well and let the CW "think" it's carving the 1/4 round as well.

By what you're explaining, I know you're trying to save carving time by just carving the patterns into an already existing piece of 1/4 round but unfortunately, the Designer software just doesn't give us that level of control.

It would be nice if we could just "tell" designer that the piece we're carving in is curved and enter the parameters of that curve for it to follow. But in order for the CW to follow a curve, it has to be on the board. And if it's on the board, the CW will have to carve it.

It's not that the software is all that confusing, just incapable of what you're trying to do.

Post your file if you can and I'll take a look but it sounds to me like you'll have to put the curve on the board, add your patterns merged additive to the curve and let the CW go ahead and act as if it's carving the 1/4 round as well......http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon9.gif

brdad
08-12-2008, 12:19 PM
Not having my CW I have no knowledge, but that never stopped me from thinking...

If a person were to firmly attach an irregular shaped object to a sled, using appropriately sized side rails, could a person scan that object, load it into the software, create the desired carving onto that, and then carve it while still attached to the sled? It seems if the settings were correct and the depth limitations were honored, the machine would just think it was carving the entire shape, but only carve what you added - or I guess in the case of carving - subtracted. Seems like this could work for a log, sphere, or quarter round.

ChrisAlb
08-12-2008, 12:25 PM
Not having my CW I have no knowledge, but that never stopped me from thinking...

If a person were to firmly attach an irregular shaped object to a sled, using appropriately sized side rails, could a person scan that object, load it into the software, create the desired carving onto that, and then carve it while still attached to the sled? It seems if the settings were correct and the depth limitations were honored, the machine would just think it was carving the entire shape, but only carve what you added - or I guess in the case of carving - subtracted. Seems like this could work for a log, sphere, or quarter round.

Well, yes...lol...that's what I've been saying.....http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif

fasth2
08-12-2008, 12:57 PM
of course the spacing of the teardrop will be adjusted to compensate for completeness of each and I am going to run them from one end to the other.

Thanks again
Mike

brdad
08-12-2008, 01:20 PM
Well, yes...lol...that's what I've been saying.....http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif

I guess you did. It's funny how you can read a thread 10 different times and get something different from it ever time!

ChrisAlb
08-12-2008, 02:43 PM
of course the spacing of the teardrop will be adjusted to compensate for completeness of each and I am going to run them from one end to the other.

Thanks again
Mike

Hey Mike,

Well the first thing I see is your tear drops are vector paths. Vector paths can't be "merged" with anything. Only patterns (Raster) can be which is why they are very deep at the round end of the drops and shallow at the points. So these are not "following" the curve but carved straight through it.