PDA

View Full Version : strange noise

dexdog
07-27-2008, 01:43 PM
Hello
Have anyone out there ever experience and ear pearsing nosie from there carvewright machine while it was carving. It works fine, but i can't seem to get rid of the noise. please help.

roughcut
07-27-2008, 07:26 PM
I got a ear splitting noise when a hole appeared in the little vacuum bag So I replaced the bag with a wool sock. It worked..:D

pkunk
07-27-2008, 10:20 PM
Well, it is a router, and it would be expected to scream at 20,000 rpm's. The CW does make lots of noise as the other 13,000 owners can attest.:D

jspringertx
07-28-2008, 09:42 AM
I always wear ear protection when I am running the unit. I have found that the industrial "ear muffs" are most effective. The sponge inserts don't work as well and it is easy to stick them too far into your ear.

The noise doesn't bother me....it is when it doesn't make any noise that bothers me.

ChrisAlb
07-28-2008, 09:46 AM
The noise doesn't bother me....it is when it doesn't make any noise that bothers me.

AMEN!......http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

Kenm810
07-28-2008, 10:22 AM
For the last year or so, I've been using Philips sound canceling wrap-around ear phones,
plugged into a Sony or Gateway mp3 - fm radio players.
They let me still listen to my tunes or the ball game while I'm working. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif

atauer
07-28-2008, 10:54 AM
Dexdog,

PKunk is correct in his statement. The machine is a basic router and it is noisy, just like a router. Most of the time, the loud screaming noise is caused by the muffler/dust collection bag not being inserted all the way or it having a hole in it. Look over the bag and make sure that it is not torn and if it is, get it replaced. Also, some members have stuffed a small rag or sock inside the bag itself to cut back on noise. This method is NOT recommended, but it has cut back on the noise. We do not recommend putting anything inside the dust collector bag.

Imprint
07-30-2008, 03:27 PM
Will it bother my neighbors - my garage to their home?

cnsranch
07-30-2008, 03:32 PM
Only until they move :D

atauer
07-30-2008, 03:33 PM
Imprint,

It depends on how close your neighbors are. its not excessively loud, but i would not recommend running it late at night, unless your garage has been sound proofed a little bit.

You may want to run it for a little while one day while your neighbors are home and get their input on it. Who knows, they may like it and get one themselves. :)

But it is not excessively loud. If you just follow the maintenance procedures and use the muffler bag during carving, you shouldn't get any complaints. And if you do, just make them a small "I'm Sorry" gift to show them that it can be good.

fwharris
07-30-2008, 09:01 PM
Also, some members have stuffed a small rag or sock inside the bag itself to cut back on noise. This method is NOT recommended, but it has cut back on the noise. We do not recommend putting anything inside the dust collector bag.

I was at the Denver Wood Working show late 07/early 08 and asked the rep. that was demonstrating the machine how he kept it so quite. You could stand right beside the CW and talk with out raising your voice. He pulled the muffler off and showed me the rag he had stuffed in it. Said it works great to cut down on the motor noise.

I tried it for a while and yes it did cut down on the noise but it also caused the motor to run hotter. I now run an 1 1/2 hose from the bag attachment to the shop vac intake. This cuts down the noise some but more than anything it helps with filtering the fine dust that is exhausted out of the motor.
This tip was posted by ChrisAlb and works great for me.

Do the reps still use the rag for demonstrations?

hamburgrd
07-30-2008, 09:56 PM
I hooked mine up to my dust collector too. I cut out that high pitch scream that was travling upstairs and bothering the family. Now I can carve at night and not bother anyone. I should mention that it still loud in the shop. I might try insulating the hose.

Kenm810
07-31-2008, 07:20 AM
I vent my Machines Exhaust Port directly in to my DD Cabinet

ChrisAlb
07-31-2008, 07:55 AM
Ken,

Now that's impressive! Very Nice setup! I sure hope to have something like that when I grow up.

My wife and I just sold our school bus and contract. Work on converting my basement into a "real" shop complete with dust collection will commence shortly....YIPPY!!!.....http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif Then maybe I can pull my shop VAC hose out of the CW...lol

Well...as soon as I clean out 10 years of stacked and stored JUNK....http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon11.gif

Kenm810
07-31-2008, 08:18 AM
Hey Chris,
Here's another shot at a different angle, of the CW vent, plus the larger one I added, for carving 14" projects that cove the bottom slot vent in the CW. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_cool.gif

castingman
07-31-2008, 09:09 AM
Ken,

Thats an idea , I think I'll try a piece of hose .

Chris,

I started that project a while back , had a finished basment till the water heater blew. Now it's half finished but i stopped and told the wife, No kids around heck with this , Now it's all SHOP. My shop is allways a work in process.

Got flat screen to !

Michael :mrgreen:

ChrisAlb
07-31-2008, 09:22 AM
Michael,

You mean you have time to watch TV while you carve??? MAN, I need to readjust my work schedule...LOL

No flat screen but I do have a big fridge with an ice maker though. Makes keeping cool drinks on hand really easy.

And by the way, I wasn't kidding about that deck, suds and steak offer. Maybe we could put our collecrive talents together for that "Casting" we're thinking of? huh?? huh??...LOL

Right now my HD is up getting it's 10k tender loving care and a full detailing.

cnsranch
07-31-2008, 09:33 AM
Thought I'd weigh in....

Didn't I read somewhere in the forum that you shouldn't mess with the exhaust port/muffler? Something about screwing up the internal mojo...

Kenm810
07-31-2008, 09:42 AM
I believe it was posted not to block the Rear Exhaust Port, as it helps keep some of the fine dust away from the electonic in the top of the machine while helping to cool the cut motor. Blocking it could cause the cut motor to over heat or give you errors. My tubing supplies a negative flow of a air, pulling the warm air and dust down away form the machine and through my DD Cabinet.