PDA

View Full Version : Just introducing myself

Vector
07-27-2008, 10:38 AM
I am pretty positive this is not the forum to introduce myself but I felt that had to express my gratitude for the knowledge provided. I do think there should be a forum where members can intermingle and form friendships,but that is not my place to say, especially in my first post.

For a little back round, I own a shop that includes CNC laser cutters and a fully equipped work shop. Unfortunately I cannot elaborate too much as I have a company who literally stalks me on the internet and copies every product I put out there. This company does not know I am back in to 3d routing so I need to keep this all a secret. I have ran 3 and 5 axis milling machines in the past and always wanted to add the ability to carve in my own shop, The CW machine allows me to do just that, it cuts a special polymer material I use. again, I wish I could elaborate but I just cannot and I am very sorry for that, I feel that I should not draw knowledge from a forum unless I can give back, so forgive me if I seem to only ask and not help.

I use a 2d CAD type program to construct most of my products, I was having an awfully hard time getting the CW software to recognize that all I wanted was an outline around the drawing to just simply cut it out. So if there is any tricks I would be very appreciative to know them.

I have however mastered the ability to create any shape using the gray scale system to make it 3d, so if you have an outline that you need converted I would be happy to try an help.

Thanks for creating such an informative place, I feel I will be coming here often.

Thanks for reading and my apologies to the moderators for posting this in the wrong section

DocWheeler
07-27-2008, 12:20 PM
Vector,

Welcome to the forum, always eager for added expertise.
In Designer, place any object on the "board" and select the "outline" function.
Then select the "Cut out" function (and probably flip the cut to the outside).
That is all you need to do what I think you are asking.

Vector
07-27-2008, 02:43 PM
Vector,

Welcome to the forum, always eager for added expertise.
In Designer, place any object on the "board" and select the "outline" function.
Then select the "Cut out" function (and probably flip the cut to the outside).
That is all you need to do what I think you are asking.

Yup, did that,and it worked to an extent, my problem is the inexperiance with using Jpegs to cut from instead of vector drawings. Now. I will assume you know what a vectored graphic is, but for those of you who do not, a vectored drawing is infinitely scalable and able to be broken apart and seleted in segements or "curves" My problem with converting my vector graphic to the jpeg is that I end up with a rectangle around the drawing that the CW software wants to cut, I was successful in removing this my converting to a png file instead of a jpeg or bmp so I think I have it licked. I hope someday there will be software that will allow us to cut from a vectored drawing, there is no machine today that does not use that form as a primary source and most of us "pros" (I use that term VERY loosely haha) will have a hard time getting the jist of the whole thing.

Thank you so very much for your help. if you know how to get ris of that annoying box that wants to exist around the drawings I would be happy to hear it.

And after reading quite a bit of the forums. I must say,. you guys are [pretty handy with this machine and it just reinforces the fact that I made a good addition to my shop.

I have learned how to use the drawing software but is is very basic for my need not to mention I am very proficient with what I am using now, so importing already drawn files is key

Jeff_Birt
07-27-2008, 03:50 PM
You need to do some more reading about what raster formats work well with this machine. JPG is the worst as the compression format messes up sharp edges in the image. Try creating your artwork as a PNG.

Amonaug
07-27-2008, 03:52 PM
You need to do some more reading about what raster formats work well with this machine. JPG is the worst as the compression format messes up sharp edges in the image. Try creating your artwork as a PNG.

With a transparent background.

Vector
07-27-2008, 04:31 PM
HAH! Thanks! That works perfect!, man am I glad I found this place! I am getting nice clean cuts now and no ghost backrounds. thanks for the speedy replies