PDA

View Full Version : Drawing Funcions

jerrbitt
07-26-2008, 01:45 PM
I'm attempting to make sure I have sufficient tabs for cutting out letters and I was told that the "break line" function can be used to interrupt a cut path.

However, I am totally unfamilar with the drawing commands and would like someone to explain how I can do this. A search and using the help menu did not make it clear.

I have tried to use a carve region with the depth set to 0 being told that will work. But have not tried it yet.

Thank you.

mtylerfl
07-26-2008, 02:04 PM
I'm attempting to make sure I have sufficient tabs for cutting out letters and I was told that the "break line" function can be used to interrupt a cut path.

However, I am totally unfamilar with the drawing commands and would like someone to explain how I can do this. A search and using the help menu did not make it clear.

I have tried to use a carve region with the depth set to 0 being told that will work. But have not tried it yet.

Thank you.

Hello,

Tips & Tricks Issue 5 "How to Make Your Own Corbels" and Issue 6 "How To Make Overhang Pattern Cut Paths" should help give you some info on the drawing tools. Issue 8 "How & Why To Make Manual Cut Paths" covers the pierced carving (the carve region technique - is not set at "0" by the way) also will prove helpful I hope.

You can download all of those issues for free at:
http://www.carvebuddy.com/learning_center.html

Amonaug
07-26-2008, 05:11 PM
As far as I know you can't use the Break Figure function on an Outline Pattern Path. However you can use it on the drawing tools paths (line, arc, etc) by right-clicking on the path and choosing Break figure. It will break the path where you clicked.

liquidguitars
07-26-2008, 05:22 PM
As far as I know you can't use the Break Figure function on an Outline Pattern Path

that right only drawing tools paths.. this would be a good request for the SWE as a few times i could have used break figure on my raster paths..

LG

jerrbitt
07-27-2008, 10:39 AM
The drawing functions are probably self-explanatory to those with CAD experience or something similar. But to many of us (I assume there are more than me) the functions appear esoteric and the help menu doesn't answer the questions of "what, where, when and how."

Let me betray my ignorance by an example, the connected linefunction. Okay I use it but it appears to me I can't apply a cut path to it, so for what is it used?.

Clue me in where I can get a decent explanation or better yet a tutorial related to drawing elements. I have seen some reference in Tips and Tricks to some of them, but not a comprehensive list. And perhaps that's not necessary -- once y ou undersand the use of one or two, the rest may fall in place.

Amonaug
07-27-2008, 01:18 PM
The drawing functions are probably self-explanatory to those with CAD experience or something similar. But to many of us (I assume there are more than me) the functions appear esoteric and the help menu doesn't answer the questions of "what, where, when and how."

Let me betray my ignorance by an example, the connected linefunction. Okay I use it but it appears to me I can't apply a cut path to it, so for what is it used?.

Clue me in where I can get a decent explanation or better yet a tutorial related to drawing elements. I have seen some reference in Tips and Tricks to some of them, but not a comprehensive list. And perhaps that's not necessary -- once y ou undersand the use of one or two, the rest may fall in place.

A cut path can only be applied to a closed figure, to close a figure click on the first dot (ie vertex) that you started with. When you hover the mouse over this vertex a crosshair will appear, when you click on the vertex it will close the figure and a cut path can be used.

Otherwise all you can do is assign a bit to the path and enter the depth.

liquidguitars
07-27-2008, 01:50 PM
Otherwise all you can do is assign a bit to the path and enter the depth.

With the new upgrade now you can inset or offset the path numerically!

LG

Amonaug
07-27-2008, 01:53 PM
With the new upgrade now you can inset or offset the path numerically!

LG

Couldn't you do that before by up to half the diameter of the bit? I know I've set the offset before

ChrisAlb
07-27-2008, 02:19 PM
Yep, that would be right Kevin. The inset/outset has always been there. I use it a lot. A positive number for inset, a negative for outset up to .125" on each.

liquidguitars
07-27-2008, 02:23 PM
yes it was in ver 1.115 ?? over a year ago but not with 1.126??..
was under the impression it was not working right MY Bad..

Edit:

Do you guys get to use the numeric inset paths made with raster paths "outline" using 1.126 ???

make a path from a image, select "outline" select 1/8 cut bit, change the inset or offset. i thought you only had "outside" or inside". :)

LG