PDA

View Full Version : 3rd broken bit

TerryT
07-24-2008, 11:16 PM
Well, I'm up to $120 in broken bits with v1.130.

Jeff_Birt
07-25-2008, 08:55 AM
Terry, from the picture is is very tough to tell what went wrong. It looks like you carved two raised panels and then were trying to cut them out. Since the edges were already so low it is not really making a full depth cut anyhow. Additionally the piece of bit in the picture looks awfully black. Was it a new bit, how many feet of what type of stock had you cut with it? Just trying to get some data that CW can work with to figure out the problem.

TerryT
07-25-2008, 08:08 PM
Terry, from the picture is is very tough to tell what went wrong. It looks like you carved two raised panels and then were trying to cut them out. Since the edges were already so low it is not really making a full depth cut anyhow. Additionally the piece of bit in the picture looks awfully black. Was it a new bit, how many feet of what type of stock had you cut with it? Just trying to get some data that CW can work with to figure out the problem.

Hi Jeff,
6x6 squares. Three eighths thick on the edge. Brand spanking new bit. Just recieved it from LHR to replace the last ones broken. It had cut six others like the ones shown in the pic. Total cut time on the bit was a matter of minutes.

Digitalwoodshop
07-25-2008, 09:51 PM
What would happen if you stacked 2 manual paths on top of each other with each with the 1/8 inch bit and selected 1/3 of the thickness (.25) on the first pass and 2/3 (.5) for the second pass and for the 3rd use Cut Path?... That would give 3 passes and Tabs...

I think it will work.... I am cutting my 2nd to last plaque for a Dedication tomorrow and doing other work so I can's try it now.... But Sunday I will give it a try...

2 manual paths then a cut path.... I cut a 3 Projects that Chris created today and they use a V 60 to decorate the edge then a Cut Path, it's the same thing.... And they came out GREAT...

Take a BOW.... :)

And pass another cold one....

AL

ChrisAlb
07-25-2008, 09:56 PM
Not unless we have control over the order of cuts......ummm....nope, we don't.

liquidguitars
07-26-2008, 12:15 PM
A good work around for "mini passers" but, Designer will change the order of bits when compiling as it "optimizes the project". I think you have a good chance it will work but..

it's a bummer if your bit selection randomly changes after uploading later down the road. :confused:

LG

anonymous
07-26-2008, 01:27 PM
Hi all,

I've been lurking around in here for a few weeks now. I just got my CW 2 days ago. I've been reading about the newest version of the software and was wondering if I should attempt using it or not. I have the 1.126 version that I got as a trial. I've read a lot about cut path problems??

I've seen it's goes back and forth but seems more people are having trouble than not. I really don't want to be burning wood or breaking bits as i'm sure being a newbie that will happen naturaly..lol I don't need any help.

Your takes?

Thanks...seems like a great forum.

Amonaug
07-26-2008, 01:30 PM
Hi all,

I've been lurking around in here for a few weeks now. I just got my CW 2 days ago. I've been reading about the newest version of the software and was wondering if I should attempt using it or not. I have the 1.126 version that I got as a trial. I've read a lot about cut path problems??

I've seen it's goes back and forth but seems more people are having trouble than not. I really don't want to be burning wood or breaking bits as i'm sure being a newbie that will happen naturaly..lol I don't need any help.

Your takes?

Thanks...seems like a great forum.

For now I'd use the 1.13 designer software but keep the card flashed to 1.126 firmware.

Nighthawk12
07-26-2008, 02:30 PM
I Got 1.130 As Soon As It Came Out And Had No Problems untill Today. I've Been Cutting Out 3/4" Pine Rockers For Small Rocking Chairs. I've Cut Out a lot Of Parts With 1.126 With No Bit Problems Never Broke a Bit Before. I Have Changed out the CW One Time At 60 Cut HRs. But Today It Broke Two New 1/8" Bits On A Stright Cut & Then I Put My Old Bit That Has About 50 Cut Hrs. On It And It Started Burning The Wood. I'll Be Going Back to 1.126. I'm With Chris Give Us Control Over How Many Passes It Takes To Do A Cut Out.

Thanks Jim

P.S. Thanks Carvewright For The Best Woodworking Tool I Have Ever Had

TerryT
07-29-2008, 02:08 AM
Terry, from the picture is is very tough to tell what went wrong. It looks like you carved two raised panels and then were trying to cut them out. Since the edges were already so low it is not really making a full depth cut anyhow.

Actually Jeff, it is. Since the low area is part of the pattern the bit cuts to the side NOT into the pattern. The bit is in full 3/4 inches of wood. At least on the leading edge and one side.

ChrisAlb
07-29-2008, 07:02 AM
Actually Jeff, it is. Since the low area is part of the pattern the bit cuts to the side NOT into the pattern. The bit is in full 3/4 inches of wood. At least on the leading edge and one side.

Sent you PM buddy.

Chris

mtylerfl
07-29-2008, 11:35 AM

Hi Terry,

Perhaps you could assign a feather around the perimeter of your pattern to reduce the amount of material you have to cut through. Possible drawback - increased carving time.

TerryT
07-29-2008, 06:16 PM
Thanks Michael I'll give it a try.