PDA

View Full Version : Problem with 1.130... between rock and hard place

rhglassdr
07-24-2008, 01:18 PM
I just just off the phone with carvewright, I was doing the trout project and it smoked and burnt up a 1/8 cutting bit. Tech support had me run all the tests on my machines and found no problems, they stated they are aware of cut path problems in 1.130 and are working to fix them. But in the mean time he suggested I switch back to 1.126 so that I can control the depth of the cut. I no long have the disk for 1.126. I can't do a restore because I will lose to much other info, and they no longer have any copys of the 1.126 program , I don't want a fire can anyone help ?

rhglassdr
07-24-2008, 01:55 PM
I made anouther call to support and was told about this address:
http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/designer_1_126.exe

ChrisAlb
07-24-2008, 02:15 PM
I just just off the phone with carvewright, I was doing the trout project and it smoked and burnt up a 1/8 cutting bit. Tech support had me run all the tests on my machines and found no problems, they stated they are aware of cut path problems in 1.130 and are working to fix them. But in the mean time he suggested I switch back to 1.126 so that I can control the depth of the cut. I no long have the disk for 1.126. I can't do a restore because I will lose to much other info, and they no longer have any copys of the 1.126 program , I don't want a fire can anyone help ?

Thank You SO much for sharing the fact that LHR IS aware of a cut path problem. And the link to 1.126.

I KNEW I wasn't crazy...lol

fwharris
07-24-2008, 02:40 PM
You might also want to check on your hard drive under program files. I still have all of my versions of designer from day 1.

See post:http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8047

Jeff_Birt
07-24-2008, 02:52 PM
It is kind of hard to tell from your photos, but it looks like you hit a knot. That can cause a problem in any version of Designer. If I use a board with knots I like to measure the size and location of each knot and then draw a circle representing each knot on my board in Designer. This lets me avoid laying out parts in that area.

liquidguitars
07-24-2008, 03:45 PM
Could be your 2 sided tape did not hold when indexing?

http://www.liquidguitars.com/saltdot/noTabsNoBit01.jpg

LG

rhglassdr
07-24-2008, 03:58 PM
Makes sense, but this is the trout clock project and there is no tabs on these circles for the clock.... and that was a burn mark not a knot. Should I have taped the board down? or should I put tabs in these circles? it is not in the instructions, I followed them to the t.

Jeff_Birt
07-24-2008, 04:22 PM
I don't know how that project was designed, but I would suspect that Michael used the built in 'Cut Out' tool that automatically leaves small tabs. If the part broke loose it could sure cause it to break your bit. This is not a problem that is not unique to 1.130 either. If your stock is particularly weak in the area where tabs are left it could potentially come loose. I've experienced this mostly in pine.

I have had issues where I have had a cut-out within a cut-out and the machine decides to do the outer cut-out first. The tabs that it leaves are not enough to hold the piece in place while it does the inner cut out.

mtylerfl
07-24-2008, 05:06 PM
Makes sense, but this is the trout clock project and there is no tabs on these circles for the clock.... and that was a burn mark not a knot. Should I have taped the board down? or should I put tabs in these circles? it is not in the instructions, I followed them to the t.

Yes, all the cutouts have tabs, of course!

The circles are using the normal automatic cut path, so the tabs are there. I've done two of the Trout Projects myself, no problemo. Perhaps the stress of the full-depth cut when using 1.13 is causing the tabs to break??? (I did mine before 1.13 was released)

Digitalwoodshop
07-24-2008, 05:53 PM
Tabs breaking are a symptom of a worn QC Chuck or Bit Holder. The flopping around of the bit breaks the tabs.

QUICK Check... 1/8 inch bit installed, grab the tip with both hands carefully and try to move it in 4 directions. Feel a solid no movement your good. Feel movement.... BAD....

Speaking of QC..... Today I did some work on my machine and after I was through I aligned the head level again as it was off ever so slight.. After I was done I went to Options and Z data with a board loaded and let the bit touch the board and noted the reading and moved the Y to 4 locations and compared the numbers. I was GOOD to go...

So that is a QUICK CHECK for everyone.... Is your head level? Quick and easy....

Especially if you get the dreaded BOARD PROBLEM......

AL

liquidguitars
07-24-2008, 05:56 PM
Perhaps the stress of the full-depth cut when using 1.13 is causing the tabs to break??? (I did mine before 1.13 was released)

Guess auto tabs will not work well if you have a semi warped stock, wrong pressure setting durring and at startup...

I have seen that burn with a z stall on a few and looks bad.

quick fix is to add tabs..

I love that trout project so cool..

LG

Jeff_Birt
07-24-2008, 07:27 PM
Yes, all the cutouts have tabs, of course!

The circles are using the normal automatic cut path, so the tabs are there. Perhaps the stress of the full-depth cut when using 1.13 is causing the tabs to break???

I figured it had tabs;). I'm not exactly sure what this small circular part is, if it has an inner and our cut-path, etc. I would suspect that the design of the project as A-OK though.

It leads us back to wondering why they broke. I cut 32, 2" circles out of 1/2" pine as well as numerous cuts in 3/4" poplar with no issues with 1.130 1-pass cutting. Al could be on the right track in guessing that something was amiss with the QC or the bit homing process.

Jvicaretti
07-24-2008, 08:06 PM
I had the same problem when doing the trout project! The bit broke when cutting the clock piece. In fact mine looked exactly like yours does and I had a clear board without any knots.

rhglassdr
07-24-2008, 08:21 PM
I switched back to 1.126. and as soon as my new bits get here, I'll try it again, I'll let ya know how it goes- thank you everyone.....

ChrisAlb
07-24-2008, 08:29 PM
Seems to me LHR is aware of the situation with the cut path. Back to 1.126, smoooooooth as silk again.

liquidguitars
07-26-2008, 11:06 AM
Tabs breaking are a symptom of a worn QC Chuck or Bit Holder. The flopping around of the bit breaks the tabs.

so true..

LG