PDA

View Full Version : Not enough pressure, now what?

13Z5M
07-24-2008, 11:20 AM
I had two torn traction belts, so I changed them out last Friday - I got pretty good at it, too. Since then, when I load a board, the belts slip on the rollers. Enough that when I measure a board, it reads 22.33 inches for a 13.5 inch board!

I spoke with a tech guy last night. He said to measure the roller pressure with a bathroom scale, it should read between 75 and 85 lbs.

By the time I did this, the help desk had closed! I was consistently getting a reading of around 57 lbs.

I have read a bunch of threads that say what the reading should be, but none of them described what to do about a low/high reading. I am specifically interested in the low, naturally.

I am at work, but want to pick up anything I may need on the way home. Can anyone explain what to do with the low pressure?

Thanks,

Steve

ChrisAlb
07-24-2008, 11:39 AM
I had two torn traction belts, so I changed them out last Friday - I got pretty good at it, too. Since then, when I load a board, the belts slip on the rollers. Enough that when I measure a board, it reads 22.33 inches for a 13.5 inch board!

I spoke with a tech guy last night. He said to measure the roller pressure with a bathroom scale, it should read between 75 and 85 lbs.

By the time I did this, the help desk had closed! I was consistently getting a reading of around 57 lbs.

I have read a bunch of threads that say what the reading should be, but none of them described what to do about a low/high reading. I am specifically interested in the low, naturally.

I am at work, but want to pick up anything I may need on the way home. Can anyone explain what to do with the low pressure?

Thanks,

Steve

Hi Steve,

I'd start with the simple obvious things. Are the post clean and lubed?

I like to spray a little silicone on a rag and wipe the posts with it. Move the head (almost) all the way up and wipe the bottom, then down and do the top. Check the pressure.

If it's still not there, Move the head up again, loosen the four top post bolts (10mm socket) then tighten them up again. Check the pressure.

Start with that and see if it takes care of it. If not, you'll have to follow the "full" adjustment procedure on page 8 of the trouble shooting guide which you can download here.....

http://www.carvewright.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6161&d=1191280559

Actually I have to do the same thing...lol For months now I've just added a little hand pressure to the head while cranking it down. Not exactly recommended but it's been working...lol

13Z5M
07-24-2008, 12:12 PM
Thanks, Chris - I'll let you know how it works out. Hopefully, the Mrs. will let me get up there again tonight.

That troubleshooting guide is great. Thanks for the link.

Steve

13Z5M
07-25-2008, 08:14 AM
I cleaned and lubed the posts. Loosened and tightened the four guides. Still not enough pressure.

When you say to do the full adjustment, I assume you are refering to the section titled "Please Load Board Prompt Occurs". Correct?

I'll try all that after work today.

Thanks.

ChrisAlb
07-25-2008, 08:23 AM
Yep, that would be the procedure Steve.

I've never done it so I'm afraid I can't offer any tips. But I'm sure many other more knowledgeable folks in here have. If you need any more info than the guide gives, try a search in here on "head adjustment" or similar and I'm sure you'll find experiences by others who have gone through it.

As soon as I have time, I plan on doing the same.

13Z5M
07-25-2008, 06:27 PM
I haven't fixed my pressure problem yet, but I think I found out about the traction slipping. I was doing a pretty throrough cleaning and looked at the nylon gear that the traction belt gears mesh with. It was missing at least half the teath!! I assume they were stripped at the time the traction belts tore.

So, I called the factory and they are sending me a new gear. Tomorrow I think I will do the steps on page 8 of the troubleshooting guide so when the gear comes I will be back and running.

Gotta watch the Sox now. They're playing the Yankees. GO SOX!

Steve

13Z5M
07-31-2008, 06:50 PM
Hi,

I replaced the gear tonight. Kind of a pain, and it took an hour and a half, but I am back up and running!! Ran a few test pieces through and am looking forward to doing some serious stuff this weekend.

Thanks for all the support.

Steve

Grampy122
08-01-2008, 08:58 AM
The silicone will migrate and will end up on your wood causing finishing problems.