PDA

View Full Version : Faux Wood Using MDF

badger
07-24-2008, 07:02 AM
Alot here like to use the MDF for one reason its cheaper. It also stands up really nice comparable to most real woods. Ive searched the forums because I thought I saw it once before but could not find it so Ill explain what I have learned to do with MDF to make it look like wood.

Its a process of painting it first with a cheap (because it really doesnt make it look any better with expensive paints) latex mustard yellow.

Then seal it with a thin layer of satin shellac or thin poly coat so the stain doesnt soak through. Then pick a stain. Usually any stain works but I prefer the darker ones. Using a brush or foam applicators. I like the foam applicators specially if you use centerline. No need to do anything with the letters except let the stain go on heavy in those areas and they will stand out. Then finish up with whatever finish you decide.

Practice on a scrap piece of mdf first to see the look you can obtain.

A couple images of people that have used MDF and the above procedures and what the final process looks like.

I had already finished one but on the next one Ill take pics of the process and post them.

DocWheeler
07-24-2008, 07:09 AM
Badger,

Thanks for the pictures and explanation of how you did it, they look great!

Kenm810
07-24-2008, 07:28 AM
badger,

Great project, I'm sure the photos don't do it justice.
When you use the Faux process you can almost guarantee a client
no two boards or parts will be identical like some laminates or veneers.
Well Done! http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

badger
07-24-2008, 07:31 AM
oops, Im not taking credit for those two images. Those belong to others that have used the process. I have a project I used the process on but forgot to take pics of the steps not thinking at the time.

Next carve I do I will take pics of the process step by step and post those.

Kenm810
07-24-2008, 07:45 AM
badger,

Never the less, it's still a fun and useful Process http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif

Fireman Phil
07-24-2008, 06:06 PM
badger,

Never the less, it's still a fun and useful Process http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif

Hey Ken, is that carved in MDF? Did you paint/stain before you carved it? Looks Great, I like it. I have done several projects where I stained the wood first then carved it. I tried it once on MDF, didn't work out so well. I was making a Hackett Hornett 2008 picture frame and had painted the frame black and was wanting white letters. The paint blistered, peeled and got little fuzzies around the letters. I ended up just making another one and painted it when I was done.

Kenm810
07-24-2008, 07:25 PM
Yep, I often use MDF to use Faux finishes on both paint or stain,
and I do like to carve the text of patterns after the finish is sealed with Lacquer or Acrylic,
so I don't have to worry about the color running or bleeding that I use in the Text or Grapics.
I use Latex paints in the text and vector carvings because it's easy to wipe off
any I get on the surface with a damp piece of toweling

fwharris
07-24-2008, 07:47 PM
Badger,

Thanks for sharing this process with us. Their work is outstanding!

:idea:I have a lot of small pieces getting in the way.

and Ken,

I know you have posted this finishing process before. I always thought cool but I guess I was paying more attention to what you carved instead of what you carved it on.

With OldCop's photo's of this living room (I mean garage) , having to step over my pile of MDF pieces today and then this post it lite that bulb.