PDA

View Full Version : Update of my CW experiance for whats its worth

bizbiki
07-23-2008, 06:31 PM
After having my share of troubles with the actual CW machine which included a couple of flexshafts, board sensor, traction belt replacement, QC replacement, cut motor magnet replacement, cover switch replacement, etc,. Which has resulted in one trip to Houston for repair, as well as numerous trips to this forum in order to have an issue diagnosed and cured; I have a had a resultant revelaton that I thought that I should share here and wish that I had heeded way back when I first got my machine.

I started to think that perhaps the CWs (at least mine) were quite fragile and not really for a guy like me who just wanted to continue to become a better woodworker by expanding what they were capable of making.

While my machine was in Houston I realized that my machine sure seemed to work much better when it was new "just out of the box". But then again I realized that I only had about 80 hours on it.

At that point I decided that when my machine got back from Texas, that I would not just wipe it down every so often (usually after several carves) but would instead keep it as clean as possible during and after each carve; though the use of a downdraft table connected to a dust system as well as a shopvac while doing longer carves (after making sure that I am properly grounded), removing and lubricating each bit everytime I use it before putting it away, as well as lubing the inside of QC after taking care to clean it out. In other words making the machine look like a new one after each carve.

Since I have been keepng the CW clean I am happy to report that I have had zero problems with it, IMHO if you keep your carvewright as clean as you could you will certainly avoid a whole lot of major problems.

I sure hope I didn't just jinx myself.

badger
07-23-2008, 09:45 PM
I would imagine you will find no arguments. #1 rule of woodworking is Safety as always, #2 would more than likely be, keep your tools clean.

Just goes to show that you know what your doing as a craftsman. Anyone that spends the time to actually keep this machine running is the type of person that you can expect good quality craftsmanship from.

Hope to see some of your work.

Jeff_Birt
07-24-2008, 08:21 AM
While my machine was in Houston I realized that my machine sure seemed to work much better when it was new "just out of the box". But then again I realized that I only had about 80 hours on it.

At that point I decided that when my machine got back from Texas, that I would not just wipe it down every so often (usually after several carves) but would instead keep it as clean as possible during and after each carve;

Amen! Every machine I have ever worked on/used works much better when it is kept clean. Ten or 15 minutes after each carving session is about all it takes too (gawd, that last sentence sounds like a commercial for an exercise machine;)).

Kenm810
07-24-2008, 09:00 AM
Right on bizbiki and badger,

Help keep yourself and your Machine happy by keeping it Clean!

Jeff, I figure my carver is an exercise machine,
the way it keeps me running back and fouth to
the table saw for new project boards to feed it. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif

jspringertx
07-24-2008, 09:11 AM
I couldn't agree more about keeping your unit clean. The best investment I ever made was in an air compressor (45 lb pressure) that I use to blow out the sawdust on my unit. It is amazing how many cracks and crevices that the CW has. I am always surprised at how much dust collects in the weirdest places.

I also have a downdraft system, but nothing beats a periodic dusting with the air hose.

ChrisAlb
07-24-2008, 10:06 AM
I sure am glad cleaning is catching on now....http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

I'm still convinced it's the sole reason I've never had troubles....http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif

busta
07-24-2008, 10:36 AM
Man I've been away too long.All kinds of new stuff happening here.

Cleaning? I spend about as much time doing that as I do carving. I tend to be a bit anal I guess, stopping half way through at times just to sweep stuff out of the way so I can see whats happening.

Guess I could let it run through the whole project once... Nah! why tempt fate?:D

Barry