PDA

View Full Version : Flex Shaft Problem

concepte
07-20-2008, 04:31 PM
I removed my flexshaft from my cutting head and cleaned and lubed the shaft. Now when I try to reinsert the flexshaft and turn to lock it - well it does not lock - is there a ball or locking pin that could be missing that holds the flexshaft in to the head?

Help - as I thought I had it locked and started a cut and the shaft came out of the head.

Larry

Kenm810
07-20-2008, 06:07 PM
Hey Larry,

The flex-Shafts has a square end that has to line up with the square hole in the top hat, so you might have to rotate it a bit to get it to seat properly.
The top hat has a spring around it holding the ball bearings in place, that lock the flex-Shaft into the top hat on the carving head.
If the ball bearings fell out or are missing, you won't be able to lock the Flex-Shaft in place. Their about the size of a .177 BB.

concepte
07-20-2008, 10:54 PM
Hey Kenm810 - That was the info I was looking for. Any idea how not to lose the BB bearing?

Thanks and you are spot on.
Larry

Hey Larry,

The flex-Shafts has a square end that has to line up with the square hole in the top hat, so you might have to rotate it a bit to get it to seat properly.
The top hat has a spring around it holding the ball bearings in place, that lock the flex-Shaft into the top hat on the carving head.
If the ball bearings fell out or are missing, you won't be able to lock the Flex-Shaft in place. Their about the size of a .177 BB.

Kenm810
07-21-2008, 07:03 AM
Larry,

You got me there,
I've read a few post about folks loosing the ball bearings form the top hat while servicing or lubricating the Flex-Shaft.
I guess it only happens occasionaly, I've had my Flex-Shaft disconnected numerous times
for a lube job or shipping back and forth to Texas for service, Without loosing a ball bearing yet.

concepte
07-21-2008, 07:13 AM
Thanks Kemm810 - I checked the Parts Listing and it does not show the ball - so I will call Carvewright to see if they can supply the ball bearing. Thanks for the pictures and help.

We are so much more with others than we are by ourselves.

Visit www.fishdecoys.net

Larry (Fishcritter)

concepte
07-24-2008, 07:11 AM
Thanks Kemm810 - I checked the Parts Listing and it does not show the ball - so I will call Carvewright to see if they can supply the ball bearing. Thanks for the pictures and help.

We are so much more with others than we are by ourselves.

Visit www.fishdecoys.net

Larry (Fishcritter)

Called Support - got right through and spoke with Josh - Explained the problem and he looked me up and said he had not heard of this problem before and then he said that he would send me a new Top Hat that has the ball bearing. No problem.

Kudos on CarveWright folks for excellent support.

Larry

fwharris
07-24-2008, 08:43 AM
Larry,

I have always recieved great support from LHR also.

Great link on the fish decoys Thanks for adding it to your signature!!