PDA

View Full Version : Carving Problem

jerrbitt
07-20-2008, 03:53 PM
I down loaded this pattern off the Carvewright home page and made two of them without problems. It is a pierced carving as you can see.

The project is supposedly 17” x 10.5” The wood stock I used measured 17 1/4 by 11 inches. However to keep it under the rollers, I usually use two stringers (RAILS) on each side (length) to give me the extra 7 inches. (AT THE ENDS, i BRIDGE THEM WITH MASKING TAPE that the machine picks up as the end of the boars. The stringers are ¾ “ wide. So for all practical purposes, the machine thinks the project is 24 ¼ “ long by 12 ½ “wide.

However when I ran the third one, selecting NO for keeping it under the rollers, YES for maintain original size, and Yes for center it on the board, the machine started carving the pattern and then after about a half inch, it went right off the edge on the keyboard side right through my stringer (rail)and I mean all the way through – pierced. The other side seemed to be carving ok as far as width.

So what happened? I believe I carved two identical projects without this problem and now this. I don’t see how this could be a factor bit the machine was recently repaired at LHR – new Y/Z truck and chuck.

Appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Amonaug
07-20-2008, 04:06 PM
Not sure. I do the same thing as you described on all my carvings (with rails) and used the same settings for under roller, etc.