PDA

View Full Version : flexshaft problems?

Woodman
07-20-2008, 09:23 AM
Has anybody else had the fitting come loose from the flexshaft on the cut motor side? This is a two tabbed adapter that fits into the cut motor and twists to secure. Mine came completely off the flex shaft and out of the cut motor. WHY? My machine has about 50 hours on it and I'd think that a fitting like this should stay put longer than that. I've been very careful to lube the shaft 3 times so far and the highest temp I've seen was about 100 degrees on a 90 degree day in my unairconditioned shop. I figured 10 degrees above ambient temps wasn't too high. . . . any thoughts???? Pete

swhitney
07-20-2008, 09:40 AM
Had that happen to me a few months back, so I removed the flange from the cut motor, and used JB Weld to adhere the flex shaft sheath to the plastic flangeand re-assembled.

until your post, I had forgot about it... so it is still working!!!

good luck with your repair.. my solution was pretty easy (and hopefully correct)

Woodman
07-20-2008, 09:55 AM
I used some liquid nails on it and waited for it to dry and put it all back together and it looked like it worked fine. Unfortunately, while I was waiting for it to dry I decided to lube the screwshafts that raise and lower the head with some lithium grease and found another problem that sent my unit back to Houston. I'm hoping they don't get too upset about my southern engineering application. The tech rep I've dealt with said I might need a new machine so we'll see what happens. . . .