PDA

View Full Version : Please help!

Joshua Carlton
07-18-2008, 07:13 PM
I am trying to cut a simple silouhette shape on 1/4 board, I know I have to use a carrier, and I have read the tutorials, but here is the problem, I want the actual shape I cut to be the same thickness as the board 1/4 inch. but it always shows in as routed about halfway down. I have turned feathering off and toggled perspective view as told. (I dont really understand why that would make a difference). There has to be a way to simply do a manual cut path without routing the shape down. any suggestions. Thanks-Joshua

jcorder
07-18-2008, 07:41 PM
did you select the 1/8th inch straight bit?

bjbethke
07-18-2008, 07:45 PM
You may need to post your MPC to see what you are doing.

Joshua Carlton
07-18-2008, 07:54 PM
I am not sure what an MPC is and yes I selected the 1/8 bit, I can get the cut pathe but the pattern itself is always about half the thickness of the board. I just want it to be the same thickness. sorry if this is confusing.-Joshua

bjbethke
07-18-2008, 08:10 PM
An MPC is the program file you use to upload your project to the memory card so you can carve your project with the CarveWright Machine.

You need to make the MPC file in Designer. It sounds like that is what you are making.

Joshua Carlton
07-18-2008, 08:25 PM
Let me ask it this way, it might make more sense. When you start a new project and you put a flat pattern like a simple silouhette is it normal to always show the pattern lower than the wood it is being cut out of? What if I simply want to cut the piece out? This seems like it should be so simple.

LollyWood
07-18-2008, 08:31 PM
Josh, not sure if I'm following ya, but is this where you're tring to go??

If so, easy. Just outline your pattern. Select the 1/8 bit for the out line and set depth to .250 (1/4") Manual cut path. ;)

**note** make sure you tape the board to carrier underneath. Patteren will slip unless afixed to the carrier.

If not, save a copy of the designer and post it, and one of the gurus can get ya there.

Stay w/ it, it does get easier, promise.

Joshua Carlton
07-18-2008, 08:38 PM
Yes but lets say it was just the shape of the dove no relief carving I cant make it the same thickness as the board, it always makes the pattern thinner.

ChrisAlb
07-18-2008, 08:39 PM
Let me ask it this way, it might make more sense. When you start a new project and you put a flat pattern like a simple silouhette is it normal to always show the pattern lower than the wood it is being cut out of? What if I simply want to cut the piece out? This seems like it should be so simple.

Hi Joshua,

If all you want is the "outline" shape of the pattern cut out "Without" actually "carving" the pattern, you have to delete the pattern after you create the outline path.

If you're actually carving the pattern then yes, it has to be lower as it's cut "into" the wood and will show this way in Designer. With some patterns you can get the highest parts of it close to the surface by increasing the patterns height.

Hope that helps.

Joshua Carlton
07-18-2008, 08:57 PM
ok that makes sense, how do I remove the pattern?

fwharris
07-18-2008, 09:03 PM
Joshua,

After you have done the outline pattern and set the cut path as Chris stated, you then need to select the pattern and then delete it. This should leave just the outline that you want to cut.

If you will click on VIEW and the bottom you will see carve list, click on that and it will open up a window on the side that show what is on your board. You can select items from that window and they will be highlighted on the board.

Joshua Carlton
07-18-2008, 09:14 PM
Thank you so much, I was trying to figure that out forever! I got it now. Thanks everyone.-Joshua

mtylerfl
07-19-2008, 09:41 AM
Hello,

Another very simple method of creating a silhouette is to make the pattern itself a Carve Region with a depth setting of "0". This effectively makes the pattern surface even with the top of the board and you can make an outline/cutpath as usual.

Based on some of your questions, Joshua, I know you are just starting out and don't yet have a full understanding of the machine and procedures. That's OK, we'll help you along, as you can see.

However, you may want to use great caution for now with your idea of cutting out patterns from 1/4" material. Have you read the May 2008 issue of the Tips & Tricks? (entitled "How and Why To Make Manual Cut Paths"). It specifically addresses the issue of cutpaths on thinner material than is normally recommended for the CarveWright machine. It can be "tricky" and I wouldn't want you to damage your machine.

You can download the May 2008 issue (or any other issue for that matter)at:
http://www.carvebuddy.com/learning_center.html

or

http://www.carvewright.com/cms/tips-and-tricks

All the best to you.

sewpeck
07-19-2008, 01:50 PM
Nice image I've always liked the doves

Joshua Carlton
07-19-2008, 05:56 PM
THanks yes, I have read it, It doesnt show how to remove the pattern. Now that I understand it makes perfect sense, just a little confusing at first. Also if I set the depth to zero I cant see the pattern to do the manual cutpath.-J

mtylerfl
07-19-2008, 10:50 PM
THanks yes, I have read it, It doesnt show how to remove the pattern. Now that I understand it makes perfect sense, just a little confusing at first. Also if I set the depth to zero I cant see the pattern to do the manual cutpath.-J

Hello,

Yes, glad you figured out how to remove a pattern - easier than you imagined, I'm sure! Just select it, then delete it - nuttin' to it.

The "carve region zero" tip is only for use on 1/2" thick stock or above, using the automatic cut path feature. (It was just a point of general information, not specific to your particular project.)

Please let us know how everything worked out for you. We care!