PDA

View Full Version : Door sensor

eodell
07-16-2008, 09:23 AM
After looking through some similar threads, I am looking for advice on dealing with a problem with the door sensor.

I am currently running a carve program that takes about 45 minutes, and am having frequent interruptions because of the door sensor showing as open. It is certainly related to vibrations.

I continually clean out the machine, of course, have checked most of the obvious connections (though I do not know which is the precise one for the door sensor) used the sensor diagnostics.

Mechanically, the switch appears to be fine. Testing shows it to be operating normally.

Suggestions would be appreciated.

cnsranch
07-16-2008, 09:39 AM
The micro-switch on the key pad side of the cover is the culprit. If it's slipped, it won't close all the way. You can remove two small screws from underneath, open the "box" the switch is enclosed in, and see if there's debris in the way. I found that mine was simply mis-aligned, causing the switch to not be contacted properly when the cover was closed.

eodell
07-16-2008, 09:42 AM
On my machine the door switch sensor is on the opposite side from the keypad. Unless there is a second switch I am not aware of...

cnsranch
07-16-2008, 09:47 AM
The switch on the opposite side is for the cut motor - if it's not operating properly, the motor will continue to run when you open the cover.

The one on the key pad side is smaller.

Jeff_Birt
07-16-2008, 09:49 AM
I would first check to see if the switch is loose or needs to be readjusted (it's the one on the keypad side.)

Sometimes the cover switch problem is not really related to the cover switch. There is a 1/4" wide ribbon cable that runs down to a little circuit board in the Z-truck. This board can cause problems that will be reported as sensor problems. With the machine unplugged and cover off you can unplug this cable from the circuit board on the Z-motor. The only downside is that your probe (if you have one) will not work. CW has a cable available to plug the probe into another location. I would encourage you to give CW tech support a call if the above sounds like Greek to you. Their techs can walk you through it all step by step.

cnsranch
07-16-2008, 09:56 AM
To make sure I understand what you just said, are you suggesting the the close cover switch be disabled altogether?

Jeff_Birt
07-16-2008, 10:09 AM
To make sure I understand what you just said, are you suggesting the the close cover switch be disabled altogether?

NO, that would not be good. The small ribbon cable I refer to only has the signals for the probe and the defunct home sensor running through it. This circuit board inside the Z-truck can fail causing intermittent problems that can be reported as another sensor going bad. Unplugging this ribbon cable from the Z-truck will only disable the probe.

Again, if anyone is not following this 100% then please call CW tech support before unplugging anything.

jackssib1
07-16-2008, 01:18 PM
I had to put tape across the hinge and when closed it holds it in place.
Jack

jackssib1
07-16-2008, 01:21 PM
Came off and the wire was cut, now I gotta take down and fix,,oh well.
Jack

ebrowne826
07-16-2008, 09:57 PM
I solved my door sensor problem by taping a couple of washers
to the cover by the sensor switch. The extra weight keeps the
cover from vibrating open.
Ed